ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa UK Cancellation and Divorce

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

noz786_nitro
BANNED

Spouse Visa UK Cancellation and Divorce

Post by noz786_nitro » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:24 pm

Hi,

I am new to this forum and I am hoping someone can provide me some help and guidance. I am from the UK born and bred. I got married in pakistan back in March 2013. My wife came over to the UK on a spouse visa in March 2014. Currently she is living with me and my parents. Unfortunately our relationship is breaking down and I can see this ending soon.

What is the process of cancelling the visa do I inform the UKBA? Does she have any rights to remain in the uk?

Also in terms of divorce the marriage was never registered in the UK and we only have a nikkah certificate from Pakistan. How do I go about the divorce proceedings? Is she entitled to any of my finances etc?

I am going to speak to a solicitor but thought if someone could help in this stressful time would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Saj

geriatrix

Re: Spouse Visa UK Cancellation and Divorce

Post by geriatrix » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:19 pm

See Visas when you separate or divorce
noz786_nitro wrote:What is the process of cancelling the visa do I inform the UKBA? Does she have any rights to remain in the uk?
Inform UKBA of your separation. That's where your responsibility ends. What Home Office does with regards to her current leave is their prerogative.
noz786_nitro wrote:Also in terms of divorce the marriage was never registered in the UK and we only have a nikkah certificate from Pakistan. How do I go about the divorce proceedings?
Divorce as per Pakistani law(s).
noz786_nitro wrote:Is she entitled to any of my finances etc?
A question for the family solicitor not an immigration forum.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:14 pm

noz786_nitro wrote:Hi,

I am new to this forum and I am hoping someone can provide me some help and guidance. I am from the UK born and bred. I got married in pakistan back in March 2013. My wife came over to the UK on a spouse visa in March 2014. Currently she is living with me and my parents. Unfortunately our relationship is breaking down and I can see this ending soon.

What is the process of cancelling the visa do I inform the UKBA? Does she have any rights to remain in the uk?

Also in terms of divorce the marriage was never registered in the UK and we only have a nikkah certificate from Pakistan. How do I go about the divorce proceedings? Is she entitled to any of my finances etc?

I am going to speak to a solicitor but thought if someone could help in this stressful time would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Saj
Do you have a child together?

Provided you wife was not a victim of domestic violence, she will not be able to secure further extension on your basis.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

noz786_nitro
BANNED

Post by noz786_nitro » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:52 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your replies.

And no I do not have any children. There has been no domestic violence or anything of that nature.

Is it still worth going through a solicitor just to ensure all the legalities are covered? I just want to ensure all gets done properly.

Still dont know if i have to file for divorce here or in pakistan?

rfaisy
Newly Registered

Post by rfaisy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:48 pm

Hi Saj,
I wonder if you can share a bit more about your case? One of my friend is going through similar situation and in such a trauma these days. he asked me to help out. He got married almost a year ago and did everything to get her a spouse visa. After she got the visa they started to have issues and now they are separated but not divorced. She could not travel to UK as my friend kept her passport. Do you think it will be enough to just keep the passport until the things gets settled or is there a way she can get the same visa on another passport and can travel and get EC? My friend is bit reluctant to withdraw the sponsorship as he wants to give it another chance by having a bit of separation and see if things gets resolved.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:16 am

rfaisy wrote:my friend kept her passport. Do you think it will be enough to just keep the passport
Wow!! Separated but the guy still wants the woman under his control!! Disgraceful! :evil:
Why can't he return the passport and then give the relationship another chance?? If things don't work out even then, all he needs to do is inform Home Office here or UK Embassy in his country - what's the need to withold someone's passport - someone who he will lovingly call a wife if things work out and have his children with!!

Moving on, she will not be able to apply for another visa on a different / new passport without providing all the necessary evidences from the sponsor.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

noz786_nitro
BANNED

Post by noz786_nitro » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:00 pm

Hi,

I have spoke to a few solicitors. Basically I have informed the Visa Curtailment team here at the home office our relationship has ended. She will be returning on the next flight to Pakistan. We will start divorce proceedings in September/October time. We have no children.

Saj

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:08 pm

They will not put her on next flight like that . In the UK there is due process.

She will be informed of any curtailment decision and given time to appeal it or provide other basis on which she may wish to stay.

So I am surprised you are certain she will be in next flight. .

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:24 pm

Obie...I think the OP means he's going to personally put his wife on the next flight to Pakistan. :(
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:27 pm

Casa wrote:Obie...I think the OP means he's going to personally put his wife on the next flight to Pakistan. :(
Sometime I imagine what these women would have endured from some men, and it make me sad.

I know some women abuse the system and they make things difficult for women who faces genuine abuse from men who feel they can abuse them and do as they wish

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:51 pm

I agree Obie. We see too many posts on the forum where women are returned like packages that are no longer wanted. :(
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noz786_nitro
BANNED

Post by noz786_nitro » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:22 pm

Casa, Obie.

Please do not paint everyone with the same brush.

My story does not fall in those categories. My marriage was arranged and something my parents wanted me to do. I sacrificed alot for my parents and did what they said. In the end its a long story but this is something that hasnt worked out and mainly down to the actions of my wife.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:37 pm

Well I am not painting you with any brush.

I am making a general observation. I do work in this area , deal with forced marriage protection order, domestic violence, and some men using the fact that they brought their women to the UK as a weapon in their armoury .

I dealt with a woman from the Asia subcontinent who had to escape from Sweden to UK dye to years of violence and abuse. The guy stabbed his in law 28 times.

rfaisy
Newly Registered

Post by rfaisy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:04 am

[quote="sushdmehta"][quote="rfaisy"]my friend kept her passport. Do you think it will be enough to just keep the passport [/quote]Wow!! Separated but the guy still wants the woman under his control!! Disgraceful! :evil:
Why can't he return the passport and then give the relationship another chance?? If things don't work out even then, all he needs to do is inform Home Office here or UK Embassy in his country - what's the need to withold someone's passport - someone who he will lovingly call a wife if things work out and have his children with!!

Moving on, she will not be able to apply for another visa on a different / new passport without providing all the necessary evidences from the sponsor.[/quote]

Hi, Thank you for the information.
I completely understand what you are trying to say but the thing is that, my friend bought her a ticket to travel with him but she refused and just after one week of his departure she said she wants her passport as she wants to travel to UK on her own. That really puts him off,,,why would she wants to come to UK if she did not have intentions to live with him or come along with him? He is afraid as you can see many examples of domestic violence, cheating partners and abusing the freedom (both men and women) sorry to say!! I really feel sorry of both, my friend's thinking is to give it more time and go back to his home country to settle down things and once everything is fine he will bring her over here that's why he is reluctant to cancel the sponsorship. I am not sure whether it's a right thing to do but all I am praying that things gets settled between them.. Obie can you please also comment as a lawyer told him a story of some one getting a visa on a new passport without his sponsor's knowledge!

rfaisy
Newly Registered

Post by rfaisy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:22 pm

Any comments please?

Khan_123
BANNED

Spouse Visa Curtailment Help

Post by Khan_123 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi,

I was after some help if anybody knows or has experienced this scenario. I am british born citizen and my wife came over from pakistan on a spouse visa in March 2014.

Unfortunately recently our relationship broke down and she has now left the UK and returned to Pakistan in mid August.

I followed the procedure on UkBa website and wrote to the Manchester curtailment team on the 3rd August and then followed with a seperate letter during 13 August confirming my wife had left the country and the relationship was over. I included all copies of passports etc. These were sent recorded delivery and signed for.

However I have not had a response from them and I have no means of contacting them either by phone. My only question is how long do they take to update there systems of the cancellation? And what happens if my soon to be ex wife attempts to re enter the Uk? Will she be stopped?

Your help is appreciated

Saj

Obie
Ireland

Re: Spouse Visa Curtailment Help

Post by Obie » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:45 pm

I don't understand exactly why you feel the need to trouble the forum with this nonsense .

You have reported to the authorities. That is that.

Nothing anyone can do here.

Unless you are expecting someone to go and burn her passport or get Teresa May to instruct the Pakistani authorities not to allow her to board a flight to the UK.

Posts like this simply drives me nuts.