ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Staying for 5 months on family visitor visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mramay

Staying for 5 months on family visitor visa

Post by mramay » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:39 am

Dear All,

My father got family visitor visa earlier this month. He came here 2 days ago. On arrival he was questioned about the stay he didn't lie and gave rough figure that is 5 months but he said I will go back before that. Actually he got the ticket in emergency and found date of Oct which is 2 days before the expiry of visa. They took him to the room and did not release him until they talked to me over the phone twice. They asked all same questions which they usually ask when I am sponsoring him. They release him after giving the assurance that he will go back before time. Now it was 2.5 hours inconvenience and tension. Is this ok by law? Will their be any obligations on his future applications if he will leave in early September?

Very tensed and need advise.

Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Staying for 5 months on family visitor visa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:33 pm

They can question any person entering the UK to establish if they are genuine visitors etc, that is what they are there to do.

It should not have any impact on your father as long as he leaves the UK before his visa expires or after 2 months if he so wishes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mramay

Post by mramay » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:42 pm

Thank you very much. They were asking again and again why he got ticket covering 5 months out of 6. And they release him after 2.5 hours. I want him to stay for 5 months but if that can impact on his future application then of course I will re book the ticket.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:44 pm

He should be fine as long as he leaves the UK before his visa expires.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mramay

Post by mramay » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:46 pm

Thank you very much. A tension releaved :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:49 pm

Just a point for you to remember, your father is not entitled to the free NHS services, GP or medication etc. Make sure if he does see your GP and gets medication, that you pay private patient rates for these services as this could have an impact on future applications if not paid for.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Double V

Post by Double V » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:40 pm

CR001 wrote:Just a point for you to remember, your father is not entitled to the free NHS services, GP or medication etc. Make sure if he does see your GP and gets medication, that you pay private patient rates for these services as this could have an impact on future applications if not paid for.
How will this impact on future application ? How will they find out that the person is/has been taking free NHS. ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:19 pm

@DoubleV - HO can check the systems in the UK if they wish to. If you say 'no' to the medical care question and they check and confirm the applicant has used it, it is deception. If you say 'yes' and don't have any evidence you have paid for the service, it is using a service you are not entitled to.

If a visitor has used free NHS to which they are not entitled and does not declare or pay for the service, it can impact future applications negatively. With all the publicity on NHS Tourism, it is a fairly big issue.

Your own thread is extensive and this has been advised to you already. Please do not start another long discussion in someone else thread.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Double V

Post by Double V » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:22 pm

CR001 wrote:@DoubleV - HO can check the systems in the UK if they wish to. If you say 'no' to the medical care question and they check and confirm the applicant has used it, it is deception. If you say 'yes' and don't have any evidence you have paid for the service, it is using a service you are not entitled to.

If a visitor has used free NHS to which they are not entitled and does not declare or pay for the service, it can impact future applications negatively. With all the publicity on NHS Tourism, it is a fairly big issue.

Your own thread is extensive and this has been advised to you already. Please do not start another long discussion in someone else thread.
This is what I am trying to ask.
How often do they carry out checks on person who has good immigration history.
Also do you know ho do they carry out these checks ? Do they check the NHS database ? or Spine ?

What if you don't show up in NHS ?

Double V

Post by Double V » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:24 pm

Also I read anybody is entitlement to A&E for free. They can also see GP but then pay.
What if you were seen in A&E. How do you prove that you didnt have to pay, They don't charge you there.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:41 pm

Only the initial treatment in Accident & Emergency is free (A&E). If the patient requires an overnight stay (or more) charges apply.
So you want to know how the Home Office (UKVI) check whether treatment has been received? By information sharing with the NHS. All Government departments, HMRC, UKVI, DWP, NHS have access to shared information held on official records. Here's the link if you're still unsure:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ndix_4.pdf
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Double V

Post by Double V » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:49 pm

Casa wrote:Only the initial treatment in Accident & Emergency is free (A&E). If the patient requires an overnight stay (or more) charges apply.
So you want to know how the Home Office (UKVI) check whether treatment has been received? By information sharing with the NHS. All Government departments, HMRC, UKVI, DWP, NHS have access to shared information held on official records. Here's the link if you're still unsure:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ndix_4.pdf
Thanks for the link and info.
An other thing. What we have never given this leaflet. And we only used GP to get medicines.
Is information still shared ?
When did this sharing come into effect.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:50 pm

The Guardian newspaper previously reported that the Home Office was given access to the NHS records of more than 6,900 people between 2010 and 2013. The leaflet in the link I posted was dated August 2014, but sharing of information was obviously in place before then. Not receiving a leaflet doesn't exempt a patient from paying the NHS charges due. As GP surgeries are part of the NHS they can pass information in the same manner as hospitals in order to recover costs.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Double V

Post by Double V » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:11 pm

Casa wrote:The Guardian newspaper previously reported that the Home Office was given access to the NHS records of more than 6,900 people between 2010 and 2013. The leaflet in the link I posted was dated August 2014, but sharing of information was obviously in place before then. Not receiving a leaflet doesn't exempt a patient from paying the NHS charges due. As GP surgeries are part of the NHS they can pass information in the same manner as hospitals in order to recover costs.
So GPs are linked with NHS database ?

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:24 pm

Yes they are. Apologies to the original poster mramay who seems to have had his thread high jacked! :|
(Casa, not CR001)

mramay

Post by mramay » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:33 am

CR001 wrote:@DoubleV - HO can check the systems in the UK if they wish to. If you say 'no' to the medical care question and they check and confirm the applicant has used it, it is deception. If you say 'yes' and don't have any evidence you have paid for the service, it is using a service you are not entitled to.

Thanks CR001 I have paid all my parents treatment last year as well and this year is not an exception. Their time is the thing that matters :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:20 pm

Then if you have all the receipts as proof, all should be fine. Enjoy your visit from your family.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vignezh

Post by vignezh » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:42 pm

Travel insurance springs to mind!

If it is an emergency, of course attending A&E is free, any additional treatment you may require will need to be paid. This is what Travel insurances are for! They cost roughly £50 for a 4 month stay, but quite useful in those unforeseen circumstances. Moreover, if you have travel insurance, the visa officer will have more confidence that you will not be a liability for NHS.

Although, seeing a GP for minor ailments are not covered!

prasad394
India

Post by prasad394 » Tue May 26, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi All,

Would getting an eye check up done at Boots constitute a medical treatement ? My wife is on a visitor visa and has been having some eye trouble for the past two days. If she gets a check up now, should we report it in the application at a later stage ? We will pay for this checkup and not through NHS.

Regards,
Prasad

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 26, 2015 2:48 pm

prasad394 wrote:Hi All,

Would getting an eye check up done at Boots constitute a medical treatement ? My wife is on a visitor visa and has been having some eye trouble for the past two days. If she gets a check up now, should we report it in the application at a later stage ? We will pay for this checkup and not through NHS.

Regards,
Prasad
Boots is not part of the NHS, so if you pay for the check, there is no need to mention it but make sure you keep your receipt.
Char (CR001 not Casa)