ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel out using Indian passport and back on British?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

arnie365

Travel out using Indian passport and back on British?

Post by arnie365 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:49 pm

I and my wife have both ILRs on Indian passsports.
My daughter's Tier-dependent visa has expired 2 months back.

My daughter is due to get her British passport. We do not have time to surrender her Indian passport and get an OCI; since we have to travel to India urgently.

Can we use her Indian passport to enter India; and then present the British passport when we travel back?
rgds,
Arnie

secret.simon

Re: Travel out using Indian passport and back on British?

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:30 am

Absolutely fine from the British end; may have issues with Indian immigration. I believe that she will need an exit visa from the Indian authorities. I am sure you will be aware of the joys of dealing with Indian babudom.

Has your daughter got her registration certificate or is that still pending? Your post is unclear.

Also, be aware that it can take between six months and a year to get a British passport in India.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

arnie365

Post by arnie365 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:23 pm

secret.simon wrote:Absolutely fine from the British end; may have issues with Indian immigration. I believe that she will need an exit visa from the Indian authorities. I am sure you will be aware of the joys of dealing with Indian babudom.

Has your daughter got her registration certificate or is that still pending? Your post is unclear.

Also, be aware that it can take between six months and a year to get a British passport in India.
Hi Simon,

I have got now my daughter's British passort. But do not have time surrender her Indian passport because of impeding travel. Her Tier-1 dependent visa on Indian passport has expired.

Can she enter India with her Indian passport,but with the now expired UK Tier-1 dependent visa?
rgds,
Arnie

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:27 pm

arnie365 wrote:Can she enter India with her Indian passport,but with the now expired UK Tier-1 dependent visa?
Tier 1 dep is irrelevant to enter India.

When returning, she will have to show both Indian and British passport to be able to board the flight. Expired Tier 1 G dep will not help with returning/boarding a plane.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

arnie365

Post by arnie365 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:31 pm

CR001 wrote:
arnie365 wrote:Can she enter India with her Indian passport,but with the now expired UK Tier-1 dependent visa?
Tier 1 dep is irrelevant to enter India.

When returning, she will have to show both Indian and British passport to be able to board the flight. Expired Tier 1 G dep will not help with returning/boarding a plane.
Thanks, this is what I want to know.
rgds,
Arnie