ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Trying for Discretionary leave to remain using Student visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

k_j
Newly Registered

Trying for Discretionary leave to remain using Student visa

Post by k_j » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:16 pm

Apologies if I am posting in the wrong forum.

Basically my student visa of 2 years(Bangladeshi passport) expires on 30th of this month. I've been trying to find various ways to get a new visa other then extending my current student visa. I was suggested by various agencies to try for DLR, and many agencies offered to do it for 1500-1700£.

That's too expensive for me, and I am planning to apply by myself, so any ideas/suggestions/advice are welcome. Or maybe you guys can recommend some good immigration agencies.

Thanks.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:35 pm

on what grounds do you believe or do these solicitors suggest you wouldqualify for discretionary leave?

DL is granted outside the immigration rules if it is considered that for you to leave the UK would be a disproportionate inteference of your right to a private and family life in the UK.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:35 pm

k_j wrote:I was suggested by various agencies to try for DLR, and many agencies offered to do it for 1500-1700£.
DL on what grounds?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

k_j
Newly Registered

Post by k_j » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:19 pm

thanks for the replies.

on what grounds? human rights, i was told to tell them that life over here is better than in bangladesh, i have more chances of becoming successful here, i have a friend here who is mentally disabled and i want to take care of him, etc etc.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:31 pm

k_j wrote:thanks for the replies.

on what grounds? human rights, i was told to tell them that life over here is better than in bangladesh, i have more chances of becoming successful here, i have a friend here who is mentally disabled and i want to take care of him, etc etc.
Life is better here than in bangladesh = if that worked then everyone from a developing country would be able to stay in the UK.

You have more chances of being successful here= see above

Are you currently taking care of your friend? Does he have family here? What is his nationality? What is his mental disability?