ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Citizen. US Girlfriend.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Britannian
Newly Registered

UK Citizen. US Girlfriend.

Post by Britannian » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:13 pm

Straight to the point. I am a UK citizen born and bred and I have a US girlfriend. I have been to the US numerous times to see her.

She would like to live and work in the UK, however after a lot of looking at options for many a month now we are feeling somewhat overwhelmed.

She is a high-school graduate (19 years of age (I am 23)), meaning she does not really have a trade/skill other than retail experience. If possible she would like to take a short course in teaching English Language and begin searching for teaching opportunities in the UK (however we have not had a lot of advice on that course of action, so any I receive here is greatly valued)

Other ideas have possible been to apply to hotels or other internationally orientated establishments for jobs. But again, we do not have much insight into the process or if that is even a viable option.

She would be happy working in almost any role, but we just do not know where to start. I am hugely grateful for any advice. Thank you in advance.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Re: UK Citizen. US Girlfriend.

Post by MPH80 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:23 pm

In order to take on a role in the UK she'll need sponsorship from an organisation that holds a tier 2 sponsorship license. So she has to find the job in advance, then apply with the sponsorship. For the kind of roles you are talking about - it is highly unlikely she'll find such a role as they are relatively low skilled and employees can be found readily in the UK.

Her alternatives might be a student visa (mucho dinero on a proper accredited course) or getting married to you.

Britannian
Newly Registered

Post by Britannian » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:38 pm

Not even teaching English to foreign, non native English speaking students in the UK?

By teaching English Language I did not mean public schools. I was thinking language schools/colleges.

Many of my friends have completed short teaching qualifications and left the country to teach English. (one of which is still in Japan)
Could the same route be applicable for someone seeking to work in the UK? For instance if she did a CELTA course?

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:00 am

The UK has what is known as a tier 5 youth mobility visa which would allow this kind of work - however - it is limited in it's eligibility: https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-youth-mobility/eligibility - and the US is not one of the countries.

Otherwise she has to be sponsored in.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:45 am

There is current;y no shortage of teachers in the UK who are qualified to teach English to foreign students. Even more so with so many 'language' schools being closed down.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

catbusstop
Newly Registered

Post by catbusstop » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:05 am

I was in a similar situation earlier this year and after several calls to immigration solicitors and a paid consultation, the only avenue was to get a spouse visa. Employment visa's were described to me as a "non-starter".

Also worth considering is that our application only came through yesterday - we applied in April. Your mileage may vary, but be prepared to wait.

Hope you figure it out though.