ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK visit - time between visits

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sbr
Newly Registered

UK visit - time between visits

Post by sbr » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:09 am

Hi All

Yesterday my mum came over from India. She has been coming to visit me every six months. So every year, she comes around September and stays will about Feb next year. Goes back to india for six/ seven months. Comes back in September.. she came yesterday and the ECO at Heathrow said she is visiting too frequently and advised her to spend less time in UK. As I mentioned she spends around 5 months here and the rest in India, that means she spends less time in the UK in a 12 month period. Although it was a "soft" warning, the ECO did not write anything on her passport.

1. When she goes back this time, should she spend more than 7 months in india?
2. I thought the 12 month period means the date you land in the uk.. so if you are landing on 1 july 2016 - then will 1 july 2017, you should not spend more than 180 days in the uk in total. is that correct? or does 12 month mean Jan -Dec as a calendar year?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: UK visit - time between visits

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:13 pm

Any 12 month cycle.

5 months is not 'visiting', it is 'residing'. ECO will have made a note probably on her record. Expect difficulty in getting a visitor visa in future.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sbr
Newly Registered

Post by sbr » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:50 pm

Thanks CR001 - so, if she stays for as long as possible in india before her next visit then next visa application might be easier ...

sbr
Newly Registered

Post by sbr » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:55 pm

What is the tipping point between visiting and residing?

i have always been applying for her each time she intends to come rather than getting a 10 year visa which would logically be concerning with the ECO .. the fact that she gets the visa means the Visa officer is ok for her to visit...

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:17 pm

Tipping point = frequent visits resulting in more time being spent in the the UK than in the home country.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

sbr
Newly Registered

Post by sbr » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Casa wrote:Tipping point = frequent visits resulting in more time being spent in the the UK than in the home country.

Then clearly my mum is not spending more time here in the UK than home country. It is the other way round. I believe this is why the ECO gave a "soft" warning and not a formal one.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:09 pm

sbr wrote:
Casa wrote:Tipping point = frequent visits resulting in more time being spent in the the UK than in the home country.

Then clearly my mum is not spending more time here in the UK than home country. It is the other way round. I believe this is why the ECO gave a "soft" warning and not a formal one.
I think it's tougher than that, visits are 2/3 weeks here and there, 3/4 months at a pop is a visit unless the the odd one-off.

It's a tough one, there's fair and fair but in the end the UKVI has all the aces and you have to play by their rules.

My MIL has been here a total of 3 weeks in 12 months, that seems normal to me.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:44 pm

See some recent posts on visit visas in these forums here (this, this, this, this and this for starters) and search for more threads on visit visa refusals.

The tipping point, as you asked for, between visiting and residing, is that there isn't one. It is a subjective evaluation by the ECO based on the specific applicant's pattern of behaviour. This post summarises my belief of how an ECO evaluates a "visit".

"4.2 (a) (c) (e) of Appendix V, Immigration Rules of Visitors" states:
The applicant must satisfy the decision maker that they are a genuine visitor. This means that the applicant:
(a) will leave the UK at the end of their visit; and
(b) will not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK their main home; and
(c) is genuinely seeking entry for a purpose that is permitted by the visitor routes (these are listed in Appendices 3, 4 and 5); and
(d) will not undertake any prohibited activities set out in V 4.5 – V 4.10; and
(e) must have sufficient funds to cover all reasonable costs in relation to their visit without working or accessing public funds. This includes the cost of the return or onward journey, any costs relating to dependants, and the cost of planned activities such as private medical treatment.
Is your mother making frequent visits to the UK in successive years for extended periods of time? From your description, I would say, yes.

If she has been warned by the ECO, that is a bad sign in itself. That will mean that there is likely a comment on her records stating that she has been warned, which may lead to a refusal next time. And once a refusal is on the record, every subsequent application will be subject to further scrutiny.

I suggest getting your mother to submit an SAR with the Home Office to see what comments have been put on her record.

And I suggest rationing your mother's visits to the UK to only important family occasions such as a wedding or a religious initiation ceremony, etc. I have a feeling that it is going to get much harder for her to "visit" you from now on.

EDIT: I agree with Wanderer. My mother and father have been with me for a total of about eight weeks in the past eight years. I travel to visit them (in different countries; that makes a vacation for all of us) rather than the other way around. That way, the chances of them being refused when I need them the most (at the birth of a grandchild or a wedding, for instance) are minimised.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

sbr
Newly Registered

Post by sbr » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:15 pm

Many thanks for the guidance. It has clarified my questions.. I think the best and simplest way is to have my mum spend more time in India going forward. Thanks again.. I can always rely on this forum for correct guidance.