ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

understanding appeals - TRIBUNAL PROCESSES

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

itiz

understanding appeals - TRIBUNAL PROCESSES

Post by itiz » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:01 pm

Hello,
sequel to my last post. I have a few questions about appeals.

I understand in london in takes about 6 months before a hearing. I have been to a family court, where it was a private room with both representatives

1. What is the hearing/courts appearance like ?

2. Do they have adjournments ?

3. What If I am unsuccessful ? What are the basis of appeal to upper tribunal and others ? EU courts of human rights etc ?

--- and how long do these take individually ?

4. If all fails, how long would I be given to pack my bags and get on my bike ? and any options if others.

Am a bit overwhelmed as the whole process is long, tiring and intimidating

thanks
itiz

peppekalle

Re: understanding appeals - TRIBUNAL PROCESSES

Post by peppekalle » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:47 pm

http://www.courtroomadvice.co.uk/what-h ... aring.html.
The judge will only adjourn your cae if there is a good reason.

If you are unsuccesful that is the end of the matter. You could try and ask for permission to appeal only if there is an error of law if the judge refuses thats it.

To go to the ECHR you need to have exhausted all local courts including the supreme court.Hope you have a lawyer representing you.If you loose your appeal it is better to leave asap cause if you get arrested and detained by the border agency you will be going with nothing other than the clothes on your back and this is normally within 72hours of getting a removal decision.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:59 pm

Also See FAQ
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

itiz

Post by itiz » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:12 pm

And if unsuccessful, how many days will i be given to leave the country, from the date of the hearing ???

lastly would i be able to make any further applications incountry ?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:17 pm

You mind should be focused on successful.

If you are unsuccessful, you will have a right to apply for Permission to appeal to the Upper Tribunal.

It could well be the case that the removal notice is flawed and unlawful if you had a lawful application before them which they refuse to vary.

They cannot make a removal notice at the same time as a refusal to vary a leave.

Provided of course you did not withdraw the decision, or consent to it being withdrawn

itiz

Post by itiz » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:42 pm

Thanks for the update. From my nasty experience with them, am taking no chances

i never knew about the unauthorized removal and even when i presented their claim as false in my ombudsman complaint to them, they were silent. As i sent them a print out from their website which states, my estranged wife would have to formally ( handwritten) request. Which never happened

am optimistic but very careful

Zee ali
Diamond Member

Post by Zee ali » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:43 am

Obie wrote:You mind should be focused on successful.

If you are unsuccessful, you will have a right to apply for Permission to appeal to the Upper Tribunal.

It could well be the case that the removal notice is flawed and unlawful if you had a lawful application before them which they refuse to vary.

They cannot make a removal notice at the same time as a refusal to vary a leave.

Provided of course you did not withdraw the decision, or consent to it being withdrawn
I am not ageering with your statement @Obie

HO is issuing S 47 removal notice with the refusal to vary leave.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

peppekalle

Post by peppekalle » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:13 am

If there is a notice of decision which combines both the refusal to vary leave to remain and the Section 47 removal, the Section 47 removal decision is unlawful but the substantive matters (refusal to vary leave) can and should be determined because both decisions are appealable.
http://www.freemovement.org.uk/two-side ... same-coin/

Zee ali the staff who make decisions could be ignorant of the law or just choose to ignore the matter.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:37 am

Why do you say I am wrong?

Is it because that is what HO are doing or because of the law, I am confused

aiza78601

urgent help please

Post by aiza78601 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:28 pm

i today received letter from home office

actually my asylum is refused,i appealed and hearing is next month to ist tier,my husband and my daughter are my dependant in my claim

home office send removel notice today for my daughter and husband,they didt send for me please what should i do know y they want tio remove my family while my appeal is pending please advise me y they want to take away my daughter from me

Zee ali
Diamond Member

Post by Zee ali » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:49 pm

Obie wrote:Why do you say I am wrong?

Is it because that is what HO are doing or because of the law, I am confused
Because i received S47 removal notice with my variation of leave refusal.

I will fight about this in court.
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:06 pm

Did they refuse your recent variation application.

aiza78601

Post by aiza78601 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:14 pm

i received 1s75 is76 and is151b for my husband and my daughter

they sent removel notice to my husband and my daughter they are dep in my claim and my appeal hearing is next month

Zee ali
Diamond Member

Post by Zee ali » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:11 pm

Obie wrote:Did they refuse your recent variation application.
yes Obie

I was refused in july 14 and appeal is pending

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:24 pm

Well they cannot make a section 47 notice at the same time as a refusal to vary leave.

It could be done shortly after the other but not at the same time.

Zee ali
Diamond Member

Post by Zee ali » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:14 pm

Obie wrote:Well they cannot make a section 47 notice at the same time as a refusal to vary leave.

It could be done shortly after the other but not at the same time.

@Obie can u provide me with relevant case law that they can't issue both things together?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:16 am

Your Solicitor would probably be aware of it.

Also see Ahmadi

Zee ali
Diamond Member

Post by Zee ali » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:08 pm

Obie wrote:Your Solicitor would probably be aware of it.

Also see Ahmadi
@Obie

Can we change paper hearing to oral easily? I read in the tribunal guidance that it's upto the judge. Do u ever heard that judge refuse this kind of request?

How early should we send them request to change paper hearing to oral?

My solicitor put my paper hearing just to buy time and now going to change it to oral.

Any suggestions??

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:17 pm

It is up to the tribunal.

You could send a cheque with the difference in fee, and state the reason for seeking an oral rather than a paper hearing.

The Solicitor should be able to address these issues.

peppekalle

Post by peppekalle » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:25 pm

What reasons will your solicitor give for wanting oral hearing instead of paper hearing?I hope they have better reasons than wanting to buy time.

Zee ali
Diamond Member

Post by Zee ali » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:35 pm

peppekalle wrote:What reasons will your solicitor give for wanting oral hearing instead of paper hearing?I hope they have better reasons than wanting to buy time.
I do not know the reasons but he is confident that court will accept it. Because my case is all about to gain time to complete 10 years.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:14 pm

Your solicitor seems very incompetent.

He could have advised you on up to 4 ways to buy time, putting for a paper appeal does not seem like one, to the contrary, it serves exactly the opposite purpose.

In any event, your appeal does not seem bad, you could have succeeded on the section 47 point, a Judge could reasonably have allowed your appeal on the basis of the rules as you would possibly meet the requirement on the day of a hearing.

I have had to deal with incompetent solicitors on 4 different threads and private messages today.

People like those are every immigrant's worst nightmare.

Zee ali
Diamond Member

Post by Zee ali » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:12 pm

Obie wrote:Your solicitor seems very incompetent.

He could have advised you on up to 4 ways to buy time, putting for a paper appeal does not seem like one, to the contrary, it serves exactly the opposite purpose.

In any event, your appeal does not seem bad, you could have succeeded on the section 47 point, a Judge could reasonably have allowed your appeal on the basis of the rules as you would possibly meet the requirement on the day of a hearing.

I have had to deal with incompetent solicitors on 4 different threads and private messages today.

People like those are every immigrant's worst nightmare.
Thanks Obie for your reply.

But my appeal is not determined yet. We r not sending any papers now but a request to change the hearing.

I meet with 4 to 5 solicitors and all suggested the same way.

All of them said it never happened that they refused the request when u want the hearing change from paper to oral.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:26 pm

Well it is at the tribunal's discretion on whether or not to change it. I beg to differ with the 5 solicitors that took the view that it is automatic.

You have to be aware that sanction has been imposed on appellant or respondent who pursues frivolous appeal.

If the conduct of your solicitor seems frivolous, you may well see yourself facing a cost sanction.

appealalready

Post by appealalready » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:02 pm

peppekalle wrote:
...To go to the ECHR you need to have exhausted all local courts including the supreme court...
@peppekalle's advice is misleading because it gives the impression that you have to appear before the Supreme Court prior to filing with the ECHR. You do not have to have been heard before the Supreme Court in order to file a claim before the European Court of Human Rights.

You can apply for judicial review through the Admin Court and possibly get heard before the Supreme Court. It is highly unlikely to make it to the Supreme Court.

You can also sue for damages through the County Court Money Claims Centre (CMCC).

In summary,
1.) You can apply for compensation against the public body via the County Court Money Claims Centre (CCMCC). If unsuccessful in your claim, you can apply to the ECHR.
2.) You can apply following a decision by the Admin Court. If you are refused to go further at any point, you can apply to the ECHR.
3.) You can apply without having gone to court, provided you have reasons why those options were not valid.