ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa Guidance Required

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mbalmer
Newly Registered

Visa Guidance Required

Post by mbalmer » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:29 pm

I am settled in the UK and I'd like my 21 year old son to be able to join me. We are both US citizens and my husband is a British citizen. Is there any visa that he could get that would enable him to come here long term.

We had thought about bringing him over as a tourist and then after six months, getting him to travel to France for a week. Would he then qualify for a second six months when he re-entered?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Visa Guidance Required

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:35 pm

We had thought about bringing him over as a tourist and then after six months, getting him to travel to France for a week. Would he then qualify for a second six months when he re-entered?
No, because he cannot be seen as visiting the UK for more time in a year than he spends in his home country as that would be a clear indication that he is in fact 'living' in the UK.
Is there any visa that he could get that would enable him to come here long term.
He would have to qualify for a visa in his own right such as Tier 4 Student visa, Tier 2 work visa if he can get a sponsor. There isn't much option available.

What does he do in the USA?

Any reason why he did not join you when you came to the UK originally?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mbalmer
Newly Registered

Post by mbalmer » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:43 pm

Thanks for the quick response.

In 2000, both he and his sister were given up for adoption, this is he did not come with me originally. I did maintain contact and when both kids turned 18, they visited us in the UK. My son loved it here and wanted to migrate to be with his family here.

He has a high school education and has been working as an IT help desk assistant and as a child carer.

Do the immigration officers at the border actually check and stamp US passports?

Thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:58 pm

mbalmer wrote:
Do the immigration officers at the border actually check and stamp US passports?

Thanks
Bit concerned about the thinking here. Yes they do random checks on anyone, and interestingly it's Americans who are amongst the worst offenders re: overstaying, not genuine visitors, etc.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:04 pm

Not sure if they stamp USA passports, but he would still need to get through the Entry Clearance Officer and his record will be available on screen as all electronic data is held. It will be evident that he is not a 'genuine visitor' and could be refused entry.

As a genuine visitor, he needs to prove his ties back home, which he cannot do if he is 'living' here and questions will be raised about how he is supporting himself for such long visits.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mbalmer
Newly Registered

Post by mbalmer » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:34 pm

I'm annoyed. We called the UK immigration line that charges £1.37 per minute to ask them if we could apply for a family reunion visa as an adult and all they would say was that they couldn't give us advice, only a link to the web page that we already stated we wanted clarification on. WHAT A SCAM!

It looks like we are at an impasse. He can't apply for a student or work visa and there doesn't seem to be any other route for an adult.

:(

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:39 pm

mbalmer wrote:I'm annoyed. We called the UK immigration line that charges £1.37 per minute to ask them if we could apply for a family reunion visa as an adult and all they would say was that they couldn't give us advice, only a link to the web page that we already stated we wanted clarification on. WHAT A SCAM!

It looks like we are at an impasse. He can't apply for a student or work visa and there doesn't seem to be any other route for an adult.

:(
There isn't I'm afraid. He'd have to qualify in his own right which to be honest, as he is an adult, fair enough.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:40 pm

Also, if I have understood your post correctly you gave him up for adoption, which may mean for immigration purposes he is no longer a family member. Others may step in with a different view.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:51 pm

Casa wrote:Also, if I have understood your post correctly you gave him up for adoption, which may mean for immigration purposes he is no longer a family member. Others may step in with a different view.
Ahh, good point Casa as for all intents and purposes, he is the child (albeit now adult) of another person as all his official records would have been amended legally following the court adoption order.

I only know how these things work as I have a full copy of my mothers adoption file and have seen the extent of paperwork involved in name changes etc once adopted and court processes followed.
Char (CR001 not Casa)