ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visiting the UK on a tourist visa whilst work visa.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

JessicaC
Newly Registered

Visiting the UK on a tourist visa whilst work visa.

Post by JessicaC » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi everyone,

My fiance has a job offer and will be in the process of obtaining a work visa, as we are not sure how long this will take is it possible for him to visit during summer on a tourist visa whilst in the process of obtaining this work visa?

What's the legal standpoint of this? Anyone with experience in this before, or someone who can point us in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Re: Visiting the UK on a tourist visa whilst work visa.

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:16 pm

JessicaC wrote:Hi everyone,

My fiance has a job offer and will be in the process of obtaining a work visa, as we are not sure how long this will take is it possible for him to visit during summer on a tourist visa whilst in the process of obtaining this work visa?

What's the legal standpoint of this? Anyone with experience in this before, or someone who can point us in the right direction?

Thanks in advance
Is the question whether he is permitted to enter the UK on a existing visit visa he has? Or whether he is permitted to apply for a visit visa while his work visa sponsorship (Tier 2) is being processed (I.e. Prior to applying for T2 entry clearance)?

If it's the former, then I've not seen anything to suggest that this isn't possible and have in the past traveled on an existing visit visa while my work permit was being processed by my employer.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:23 pm

How will he travel if he has to submit his passport for the work visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:38 pm

CR001 wrote:How will he travel if he has to submit his passport for the work visa.
During the work permit era in 2008, prior to T2, the original passport wasn't required to be submitted until such a time the employer work permit was processed. So I travelled on an existing visit visa in between the work permit being issued and applying for entry clearance as a work permit holder.

Not sure if the OP's question is similar to that here though.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:47 pm

cs95tdg wrote:
CR001 wrote:How will he travel if he has to submit his passport for the work visa.
During the work permit era in 2008, prior to T2, the original passport wasn't required to be submitted until such a time the employer work permit was processed. So I travelled on an existing visit visa in between the work permit being issued and applying for entry clearance as a work permit holder.

Things have changed since then. I believe passports are submitted at the same time as the application for Tier 2 G.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

JessicaC
Newly Registered

Post by JessicaC » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:26 pm

CR001 wrote:
cs95tdg wrote:

Things have changed since then. I believe passports are submitted at the same time as the application for Tier 2 G.
Anyone know how long they hold onto your passport for?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:01 am

Until they grant or refuse the entry clearance, sometimes longer than necessary.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:53 pm

CR001 wrote:Things have changed since then. I believe passports are submitted at the same time as the application for Tier 2 G.
Thanks. Wasn't aware of the specifics. I guess it was broken down into two parts before; employer sponsorship (which took around 2 months) and thereafter the entry clearance application. My previous EC applications have always been relatively quick - within a month. But I know things have changed now, with outsourcing of processing and depending on how many such centres exist in the country the application is submitted from.