ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

what is the processing times for the DL form

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ebosiam

Re: what is the processing times for the DL form

Post by Ebosiam » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:06 pm

Hi makhari

I have applied for ex last year in feb then I get a letter about 3 weeks ago asking me to submit some more document about me and my wife and stepchildren I submited them after 4 days I get my decision letter I been granted 3 more years expir in 2018 and to go do my BRP now I'm just waitng for the BRP card to come throw.

Let me know if you want to know more info and if any one know answer about my the travel document if I can apply for one or not and which one.

Thanks

mkhari
Pakistan

Post by mkhari » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:46 pm

Thanks Bro
Its mean DL form taking too long
MKHARI

africangirl
Mozambique

Post by africangirl » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:20 pm

Hi all

I received my passport and my papers today was granted 3 more yrs inam so happy.

Tomorrow morning i will go for my biometric at thè post office.

H/O is doing their job now wish every1 still wating good luck all papers are coming before the elections.

one of the letters says i was allowed to travel outside the common area but they might investigate on your return what does this mean so we are not allowed to go anywhere why investigation.

I am planning visit my boyfriend in brazil and go for holiday in tanzania.

africangirl
Mozambique

Post by africangirl » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:25 pm

Hi

I noticed that i got my passport with the letter confirming that my DL has been extended i thought you can only receive your passport after biometric card or i am wrong.

Any ideas

DLR-Londoner

Post by DLR-Londoner » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:28 am

Ebosiam wrote:Hi every one

It seems like every one is geting a good news that's good no more wait.

Africangirl you will get good news soon don't worry

I have done my BRP last week and I'm waiting for the card now.

Does any one know if I can apply for a treval document or not and which one can I apply for and how long it will be and what is the process time for it.

Thanks

Hi Ebosiam

As for travel doc, it depends on your circumstances, normally for those who were granted with DLR, the UKBA expected you to use or get a passport from your own countries' representative unless you are able to show that you’ve formally applied for and been unreasonably refused a passport by authorities in your country.

If you were granted as "refugee" [of course, not DLR here], you can apply for "Convention travel document" - cheaper fees & you can use it to travel to many countries with or without visa, basically, generally accepted as a valid travel document.

If you were granted as "Stateless person", you can apply for "Stateless person's document" - similar fees as "refugee", more or less similar to the refugee one but depends on which countries you travel to.

As most of us here who were granted DLR, the only "travel document" that we can apply from the UKBA is Certificate of travel, not included one-way travel document - unless you want to go back to your country & not coming back.

The COT is the most expensive one with hefty fee of £246 [Mar 2015] per 1 adult. This document is for use by UK residents who are neither refugees nor stateless but whose own countries have officially, and unreasonably, refused to provide them with a passport.

Certificates of travel are usually valid for five years for permanent residents. For temporary residents - eg. DLR - the validity of the certificate of travel will match the length of time for which we have permission to remain in the UK.

Please note that, even though, having to pay at this expensive fee, you'll have similar rights to travel as using your own country's passport, meaning if you want to travel to a country that your own nationals have to apply for visas, you'll have to do the same.

Furthermore, not all countries recognise certificates of travel and they cannot be used for travel to the holder’s own country. Many countries especially in EU such as France, Germany, etc. don't & will not recognise this as a valid travel document to entry or to apply for their visas, so if you hold the UK's COT, they will highly likely refuse your entry.

The UKBA didn't give the timescale for the processing time as it depends on case-to-case, but it's notoriously slow as well.

See further info here
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... veldoc.pdf
http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Do-you-need-a-visa

Hope this answers your question.

KR

Malek2011
Newly Registered

Post by Malek2011 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:58 pm

Hi everyone,
Today, I've been granted a further three years after 11 months waiting. I received my passport and I'm going to my BRP tomorrow at the post office. I think they're going to sort all DLR extensions, all of sudden everyone is receiving his/her extension it's no coincidence.
Congratulations everyone and for the ones waiting, hold on tight and soon you'll hear good news.
Peace

ArtMag
Newly Registered

Post by ArtMag » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:06 pm

Congs African Girl and Malek!

Ebosiam

Post by Ebosiam » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:55 pm

Thanks DLR-Londoner for the info.

Congs africangirl and malek2011.

Good luck for the rest of people who is stilling waiting

Bob44

Post by Bob44 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:18 pm

africangirl wrote:Hi

Just to answer your question , she will qualify to apply for indefinite leave in 2017 not 2018.

hope this helps

I am sure this month we are going to hear some good news from people getting their papers from H/O.
Hi africangirl

Congratulations on your DL extension. I just need to you to clarify something please if you can. On your paper work does it say when are you eligible for indefinite or did they advise you apply before a month your current leave expires. Saying this i have tried to Google this info and all i come across is you are only eligible to apply for indefinite if you had applied DL using flr (o) form which is paid for and have completed a continuous 6 years however if you were on DL following a refusal on asylum claim you only apply for indefinite a month before your second leave expires. It doesn't matter whether you waited for how long. The waiting period doesn't count and this makes me sick really.

Bob44

Post by Bob44 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:26 pm

Malek2011 wrote:Hi everyone,
Today, I've been granted a further three years after 11 months waiting. I received my passport and I'm going to my BRP tomorrow at the post office. I think they're going to sort all DLR extensions, all of sudden everyone is receiving his/her extension it's no coincidence.
Congratulations everyone and for the ones waiting, hold on tight and soon you'll hear good news.
Peace
Congratulations brother on your DL extension. About applying for indefinite what do they say. I think the home office needs to clarify more on this because from the looks of it they don't count the waiting period between DL extension

africangirl
Mozambique

Post by africangirl » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:53 pm

@bob44 we need someone to clarify on how/when to apply for indefinite it will be a disappointment to wait for 7 years to apply for it.

I am sure they will be an easy way out of this me i will just try to send my application in 2017 and see what H/O will say if they return it back then fair enough.

Bob44

Post by Bob44 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:55 pm

Deewani wrote:This is the reply from HO to someone asking about when he can apply for ILR based on Time spent on DLR.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email correspondence of 15 June.

I am sorry for the delay in replying to your email.

You have not stated why you were granted DLR, if it was because a
non-asylum application was refused and you were then given Discretionary
Leave and you made the application on or before 8 July 2012, you would
then be able to apply when you have completed 6 years.

You would use the SET (O) application form to apply for ILR.

The answer to Q.1 is that you can apply up to 28 days before completing
the qualifying period, so your application could be submitted from 30th
June 2016, as stated on page 3 under section 5 "WHEN TO APPLY" of the
SET (O) guidance form:

Form and Guidance can be found at:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...
uk-form-seto

The rest of your questions are not applicable as you can apply on 1st
July 2016.

I hope this is helpful.

Yours faithfully,

M. Smyth
Customer Service Operations
UK Visas and Immigration

20 June 2014

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your email dated 11th June 2014.

Those who were granted 3 Years Discretionary Leave to Remain (DLR)
before July 2012 under the DL policy in force at the time will normally
continue to be dealt with under that policy through to settlement if
they qualify for it. They will need to complete 6 years continuous
Discretionary Leave to Remain. 

The UK Visas and Immigration will normally grant them another three
years Discretionary Leave to Remain from the previous expiry date.

If the applicant has been granted a further three years from the
decision date for any other reasons, we can only advise them to apply 1
month before the expiry date. They will need to use the SET O form to
apply for settlement. 

Yours faithfully,

Mala Anand
UK Visas and Immigration

show quoted sections

Bob44

Post by Bob44 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:00 pm

africangirl wrote:@bob44 we need someone to clarify on how/when to apply for indefinite it will be a disappointment to wait for 7 years to apply for it.

I am sure they will be an easy way out of this me i will just try to send my application in 2017 and see what H/O will say if they return it back then fair enough.
@africangirl they are likely to refuse it as they will have clearly advised that you can only apply for your indefinite a month before your last grant of DL. I am afaid we will have to wait until the last leave expires or we challenge the home office or something.

Bob44

Post by Bob44 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:11 pm

It looks like it's different rules for people who aquired their DL following an asylum refusal and people who actually paid for the service using flr (o). For us who got it through an asylum refusal i am afraid the waiting period doesn't count but for people who were granted from the expiry of their first DL will only complete 6 years. I don't know whether am daft or something can someone clarify this please.

Malek2011
Newly Registered

Post by Malek2011 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:14 pm

Bob44 wrote:
Malek2011 wrote:Hi everyone,
Peace
Congratulations brother on your DL extension. About applying for indefinite what do they say. I think the home office needs to clarify more on this because from the looks of it they don't count the waiting period between DL extension

Thanks a lot brother. I'm not really fussed if we have to wait until a month before the dl expires although it would be advantageous but my concern is do we have to go through the same waiting ordeal when applying for the ilr. I just hope not because I've missed many opportunities that could've been life changing for me due to not having my passport and visa for a year.

@Africangirl it says I'm not authorised to access my messages for some reason sorry I didn't ignore it.

mkhari
Pakistan

Post by mkhari » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:04 pm

Disagree with BOB
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... iod_for_dl

Home Office

20 May 2014

Dear Mr Spencer,

Thank you for your email dated 12^th May 2014.

A person would need to complete six years of continuous Discretionary
Leave(DL), to become eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain. DL would
start from the date it was issued on the initial visa. As long as an
application to extend the DL is received before the current leave expires,
the applicant would remain on continuous DL throughout the visa processing
period.

Yours sincerely,

Rose Summers

UK Visas & Immigration

show quoted sections

Link to this
MKHARI

mkhari
Pakistan

Post by mkhari » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:09 pm

Also Set(O) form is for Flro people not failed
Asylum DL form
Failed asylum people need to send DL form again for ILR
If form not change on that time
MKHARI

Deewani
Canada

Post by Deewani » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:43 pm

Bob is right.

If the 1st leave is granted before 9 july 2012...then it seems that one can apply for ILR when they spend 6 years on DLR...(including the period for waiting for 2nd Dlr)

However, if the 1st leave was granted after 9 july 2012...and were given 3 years leave.... Then one can apply for ILR 28 days before the 2nd Dlr's expiry date.

This is a bit confusing...even if u ask solicitors, many would have different views....its best to call HO and ask them, so to save your time and money (or obviously a good solicitor).

mkhari
Pakistan

Post by mkhari » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:17 pm

But it doesn't make sense
I quote(source) from freedom of information and everybody can c it and challenge it because its evidence anyone granted DLR can apply for ILR after completing 6 year asylum or non asylum before or after 12 july
Only thing is he shud have 3 yr dlr initially

Also set o form is never ever for ilr failed asylum cases

Solicitor n home office enquiry i dont trust them

All solicitor n home office enq they told me to fill flro form which was wrong

Only case worker nd person handling freedom of information is right
MKHARI

Bob44

Post by Bob44 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:30 am

mkhari wrote:But it doesn't make sense
I quote(source) from freedom of information and everybody can c it and challenge it because its evidence anyone granted DLR can apply for ILR after completing 6 year asylum or non asylum before or after 12 july
Only thing is he shud have 3 yr dlr initially

Also set o form is never ever for ilr failed asylum cases

Solicitor n home office enquiry i dont trust them

All solicitor n home office enq they told me to fill flro form which was wrong

Only case worker nd person handling freedom of information is right

It looks like the Home Office has got different answers for everyone the. If you check properly on the Freedom of Information i copied and pasted it states clearly that that the qualifying period is a continuous 6 years of DL however if an individual is granted the 2nd DL on a different date other than the expiry of the 1st one then they can only advise that person to apply for their ILR a month before their second DL expires.

mkhari
Pakistan

Post by mkhari » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:44 am

Thanks BOB
its quite complicated but I read that FOI Requests
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ing-537481
In which they explain about non asylum cases but not DL form application Home office ask the person to provide his Phone number

If you read DL policy in home office website published
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... yleave.pdf
Applicants granted Discretionary Leave before 9 July 2012
 Those who, before 9 July 2012, have been granted leave under the DL policy in force at the time will normally continue to be dealt with under that policy through to settlement if they qualify for it (normally after accruing 6 years continuous DL). Further leave applications from those granted up to 3 years DL before 9 July 2012 are subject to an active review

I think home office want to explain that after 9july they grant 30month leave in that circumstances need to apply ILR in 10 years
MKHARI

mkhari
Pakistan

Post by mkhari » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:47 am

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... r_2014.pdf

3.3. Individuals granted Discretionary Leave before 9 July 2012
3.3.1. Applicants who were granted leave under the Discretionary Leave policy before 9 July 2012 will continue to be considered under that policy through to settlement, provided they continue to qualify for leave and their circumstances have not changed. (Normally the person can apply for settlement after accruing 6 years’ continuous Discretionary Leave, unless Discretionary Leave has been granted because the individual is excluded from a grant of asylum or humanitarian
MKHARI

Deewani
Canada

Post by Deewani » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:49 am

Home Office
20 May 2014
Dear Mr Spencer,
Thank you for your email dated 12^th May 2014.
A person would need to complete six years of continuous Discretionary
Leave(DL), to become eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain. DL would
start from the date it was issued on the initial visa. As long as an
application to extend the DL is received before the current leave expires,
the applicant would remain on continuous DL throughout the visa processing
period.
Yours sincerely,
Rose Summers
UK Visas & Immigration

This reply was given on 20 may 2014... (Eligible to apply for ILR after 6 years, if the application to extend was received before the expiry of 1st leave).

This is sent on 20 june 2014 (latest one)

Home Office
20 June 2014
Dear Sir/Madam
Thank you for your email dated 11th June 2014.
Those who were granted 3 Years Discretionary Leave to Remain (DLR)
before July 2012 under the DL policy in force at the time will normally
continue to be dealt with under that policy through to settlement if
they qualify for it. They will need to complete 6 years continuous
Discretionary Leave to Remain.
The UK Visas and Immigration will normally grant them another three
years Discretionary Leave to Remain from the previous expiry date.
If the applicant has been granted a further three years from the
decision date for any other reasons, we can only advise them to apply 1
month before the expiry date. They will need to use the SET O form to
apply for settlement.
Yours faithfully,
Mala Anand
UK Visas and Immigration

Really very confusinggg...saying 2 different things for the same issue.

mkhari
Pakistan

Post by mkhari » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:48 am

My point is SET(o) form is for FLRO people or who is not failed asylum
so its not applicable on failed asylum seeker
MKHARI

africangirl
Mozambique

Post by africangirl » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi All

This issue is getting complicated i think it would be good to ask H/O what exactly are we supposed to do when we complete 6 yrs maybe there is a way out of this confusion.

My DL was granted Feb 2011 so DOES IT MEAN I WILL USE A DIFFERENT FORM.

How long does the Biometric card after having your photo taken at post office.