ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WP Tier 2 applications

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

speed
Newly Registered

WP Tier 2 applications

Post by speed » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:11 pm

Is it compulsory to have ref letter from previous employer for Tier 2 application

This is what I read on HO site

Please send references from past employers on their headed notepaper that verify the person's relevant work experience. References that only describe the person to be of good character are not appropriate. They must give the start and finish dates, details of the work and any experience that makes the person qualified to do the job. If they are not in English please send a translation.

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:40 pm

Can you please provide more details? At what stage of the work permit process are you in? Are you talking about when you have to go for your EC?

I could not provide employer reference from one of my previous employers but I had the employement contract, letter of appointment and relieving letter which was sufficient. However at the time of EC, the visa officer just glanced at it and returned it back to me.

At no other stage did I have to show or prove my past experience.

speed
Newly Registered

Post by speed » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:47 pm

At present I am in UK on Work Permit and my new employer is going to Apply for work permit that would come under Tier 2 application I think.

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:48 pm

Please do not post the same questions multiple times in different forums.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=2241

You will benefit better if all responses come to one topic.

speed
Newly Registered

Post by speed » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:53 pm

Sorry about that was in hurry to get an answer for that.....mwazir and thanks for advice..... :)

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:57 pm

speed wrote:At present I am in UK on Work Permit and my new employer is going to Apply for work permit that would come under Tier 2 application I think.
I changed employers after I came here and I did not have to send in any experience letters. I just gave my new employer my passport and current work permit details.

The work permit letter will be handled by your new employer and the FLR(IED) either by you or on behalf of you by your new employer.

speed
Newly Registered

Post by speed » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:43 pm

I think with new rule for change of employment i would be able to join the new employer with my current LLR.

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:46 pm

Yep as long as you (or your employer) is in possession of the work permit permission letter you should be able to join your new employer while your FLR is being processed.

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:53 pm

mwasir,
Do you know if the transfer was complicated from the employer point of view? my current WP was approved under the Tier 1 scheme, HO accepted the application really easily, but now no one wants to bother with the WP application because they need to show they advertised the post and other things....do you know if for transfers they need the same.....or could it be easier for a transfer??
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:00 pm

Its supposed to be a lot easier for incountry transfers as against fresh work permit applications requiring EC.

In my own case, I was changing employers and working in the same proffesion as my pervious employment. The transfer took all of 2 days and the passport returned in 2 weeks time. That was however back in 2002 and as we know its a lot slower now.

Another point to note is that Tier 1 does not need to be advertised even for a prospective non EU employee not yet in the UK, as Tier 1 means shortage in the skilled area.

Speed can you let us know how long it took for your new employer to get a work permit for you and what your proffesion is?

Thanks

speed
Newly Registered

Post by speed » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:00 pm

It’s easier for WP transfer than applying for a new work permit. In my case they preferred to go in for WP transfer than to give me a job offer to get me HSMP processed faster.

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:02 pm

good,
are the requirements the same for transfer and first time?

speed
Newly Registered

Post by speed » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:04 pm

I am in IT and my new employer is going to make the application this week for WP transfer.

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:16 pm

try-one wrote:good,
are the requirements the same for transfer and first time?
No, I think with transfers the HO will not go into details like previous employment, qualifications, validity of the post etc because they have already been through that before when the applicant was processed the first time

Check out this link; it details guidance notes for employers on how to apply for a Business and Commercial work permit

http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... Cnotes.doc
104. If you want to employ a person who already has a work permit issued in respect of a job with a different employer, or if you want the person to change jobs within your company, you should apply to us for permission to do so on a WP1 application form (SR1 form for Sponsored Researchers) or our e-mail application form in which you should tick ‘no’ at question 8.

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:23 pm

downloading as we speak.......
I might be able to convince some companies of this thing is easy,
thanks .

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:37 pm

Regardless, you should also tell them that as per HO's published timescales, it takes a maximum of 5 working days if the paper work is alright. Plus with the new changes due to FLR backlog, you could join them immediatly even as you file FLR.

Also check up if email applications are still accepted by the HO. That will make it even easier for your future employer.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:05 pm

speed wrote:Is it compulsory to have ref letter from previous employer for Tier 2 application

This is what I read on HO site

Please send references from past employers on their headed notepaper that verify the person's relevant work experience. References that only describe the person to be of good character are not appropriate. They must give the start and finish dates, details of the work and any experience that makes the person qualified to do the job. If they are not in English please send a translation.
Work Permits UK can ask both the sponsoring employer and prospective employee to submit any paperwork they deem necessary to consider an application be it Tier 1 or Tier 2 under the Work Permit Scheme. However it is normal practice for WPUK to only request for evidence that the new job is similar to the current job (they already have details on file) by way of a detailed job description for a transfer as per the scenario you describe. Such a transfer would be classed/ considered as Tier 1 despite the current job being Tier 2 subject to said/ verifiable job similarity.

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:12 pm

I was reading the guidance and it says: " multiple entry WP should need to present a fresh application...." or something like that...
Is the fresh application just the form or actually all the docs?

talktome

Post by talktome » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:33 pm

Whether you are transferring work permits or applying for a new one irrespective of the case you have to use the same form to apply.The diff is for people already here on WP's employers dont have to prove that they have advt for the post and couldnt get a resident to fill in the and so on....