ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Adult dependant relative : disabled brother

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sarathml86
Newly Registered
India

Adult dependant relative : disabled brother

Post by sarathml86 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:26 am

Hello All,
Life has took sudden turns and things i dint worry too much is now a makor worry
. So please help me with you valuable information and knowledge on this subject.

My parents (dad 69, mon58) and brother who is born with disabilities lives in india. They recently visited me and my wife in the uk , first international travel for them. Everythng was fine untill my dad passed away suddenly in a hospital here in the uk. We all are still in the greif but life has to move on and now the responsibilities on me to find long term care needs and support for my mum and brother. I a. More worried about my brother, mum is the care taker and my brother need special medical and personal care which cannot be provided by any home nurses in india.

After thinking lot i am making my mind to bring my brother to be cared here, yes it is impossible after reading many posts on ADR but my genuine intentions ammsure the british system will have some answers for me. I am not in any emmergency but collecting informations for future.
My current case :
1. My brother eill get easily elligible for ADR as he needs assistance in everyday task due to his disablility : he cas disability card and any doctor in this world will certify that if required
2. Mother is alive and is 58 years old she cannot provide long term care as she is diabetic and she will also have her own age issues and care requirements.
3. There is no care home or home care facility for my brothers need in the town or state or country where they live.

My major worries

Even if i got my brother here how can i provide thr medical and care needs ? Dont get me wrong inwill do anything for my brother but i am working ful time andits not right to ask my wife who is also working to take care of my brother..
care home/ home nurse are all options remaining but with 5 years no benefits does that mean i will have to fund fir the nhs care even if he is elligible ? Would that be a public fund to avail nhs continuing health care?

I know its lenghty and complex but please help some one as nobody seems to know about these topics. My aim is to procide best and safe place for my brother and committed to do anything untill this is solved

Thanks

Casa

Re: Adult dependant relative : disabled brother

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:49 am

sarathml86 wrote:Hello All,
Life has took sudden turns and things i dint worry too much is now a makor worry
. So please help me with you valuable information and knowledge on this subject.

My parents (dad 69, mon58) and brother who is born with disabilities lives in india. They recently visited me and my wife in the uk , first international travel for them. Everythng was fine untill my dad passed away suddenly in a hospital here in the uk. We all are still in the greif but life has to move on and now the responsibilities on me to find long term care needs and support for my mum and brother. I a. More worried about my brother, mum is the care taker and my brother need special medical and personal care which cannot be provided by any home nurses in india.

After thinking lot i am making my mind to bring my brother to be cared here, yes it is impossible after reading many posts on ADR but my genuine intentions ammsure the british system will have some answers for me. I am not in any emmergency but collecting informations for future.
My current case :
1. My brother eill get easily elligible for ADR as he needs assistance in everyday task due to his disablility : he cas disability card and any doctor in this world will certify that if required
2. Mother is alive and is 58 years old she cannot provide long term care as she is diabetic and she will also have her own age issues and care requirements.
3. There is no care home or home care facility for my brothers need in the town or state or country where they live.

My major worries

Even if i got my brother here how can i provide thr medical and care needs ? Dont get me wrong inwill do anything for my brother but i am working ful time andits not right to ask my wife who is also working to take care of my brother..
care home/ home nurse are all options remaining but with 5 years no benefits does that mean i will have to fund fir the nhs care even if he is elligible ? Would that be a public fund to avail nhs continuing health care?

I know its lenghty and complex but please help some one as nobody seems to know about these topics. My aim is to procide best and safe place for my brother and committed to do anything untill this is solved

Thanks
I'm sorry for your loss.

Regarding your point 1, your brother won't 'easily' qualify for an ADR visa as care is available and affordable in his home country. The ECO will query why it's not possible to arrange home nursing care in India.
In order to succeed in an application for your mother to settle in the UK with your brother, you would also have to show that she requires the same provision of daily care for basic tasks such as bathing, dressing, preparing food etc. At the age of 58 your mother is not considered to be elderly and being diabetic won't be sufficient to qualify for an ADR visa. You haven't mentioned whether there are any other relatives living in India.

You would be responsible for funding all their private medical care and financial support for 5 years.

Also be aware that if they apply for an ADR visa and the application is refused, the door to visiting in the future will be firmly closed due to the prior intention to settle.

There have been very few successful applications for this route to settlement since the Rules changed in July 2012, and the majority of those have been following a lengthy and expensive court appeal.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:55 am

And the fees for the two ADR aplications would be £5k, that the UKVI would argue could be spent on care back home.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:30 am

Sorry for your loss. Life does take unexpected turns and occasionally, they are to our detriment and bring us grief.

I am aware that I may be being a bit insensitive in asking these questions, but the ECO will be thinking on very similar lines. So, I hope that you are mentally prepared for difficult questioning (from the ECO, not me).

a) What is the nature of care for your brother that is unavailable in India?

b) How did he manage so far?

c) Is such care anywhere in India or just in your home town?

Many foreigners, including some British people, go to India for medical treatment because of the cost factor. There are some hospital chains such as Apollo Hospitals in South India and some hospitals such as Jaslok and Lilavati in Mumbai and AIIMS in Delhi, which could very well provide your brother with the relevant care.

You will be expected to take out private health insurance for the first five years, as you will have to sign an undertaking confirming that they will not make any demands on the health, welfare and social care systems for five years after arriving in the country. Which essentially would mean that all the healthcare, at-home care, etc would be privately funded by you and not by public authorities.

The ECO can then ask you how would it be more affordable for you to privately fund your brother's care in the UK, but not in India, where as I mentioned above, many foreigners go for cheap private healthcare.

As of yesterday, even the EU Surinder Singh route is closed off to Extended Family Members, such as your brother, so even that is not an alternative.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:46 am

In addition to secret.simon's advice, it would be rare for a private health insurer to accept a pre-existing medical condition of the gravity your brother has or treatment for your mother's diabetes.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:36 pm

secret.simon wrote:
As of yesterday, even the EU Surinder Singh route is closed off to Extended Family Members, such as your brother, so even that is not an alternative.
How? please enlighten me.

Can the UK government closed what it had never opened.

All the 10 extended family member of British citizen that i have know over the years, did not succeed under the regulations, as far as i know, the EEA regulations had never made provision for extended family.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

sarathml86
Newly Registered
India

Post by sarathml86 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:58 am

Thanks to All replies and apologies for a late response

I must admit i was depressed to read some of the replies but sensible to understand what I must be prepared to face with this application.

To clarify few point please see below points
1: my brother is suffering from cerebral palsy and autism ,h eneeds care and support for his daily living task which is normal to many of us , I love my country (India) which is well advanced and cheap for care but to my personal knowledge and experience with my brother India does lack awareness and a dedicated care for such patients.
Private Hospitals have excellent care for patients admitted in hospitals but they do not provide any care at home. Even if they provide the care these advanced hospitals are far away in a state which doesnt speak our language which means my brother will be alone in a hospital or care home with put any one to emotionally support him. He cannot speak write or read, only My mother can understand him and I can to an extend try to.

2: i am not applying for my mother she is fine but she takes medicines for depression (its common these days) but i am worried the care burden one day may break her and if she require any hospitalisation who will care my brother .? We have no other close relatives to provide the relevant care my brother needs. He is 35 year old male who will require personal hygeine to toilet assistance , Again with my personal experience its unfair to ask your uncle or aunts to provide that level of care.

3: And if there is a safe residential care for my brother in india happy days i will be more than happy to do something like that even though it will kill me inside to leave my brother far away and if he requires me i will have to travel for him to a unknown city or state

4: For last 35 years he is getting the excellent care no world can provide from his mother but this care unfortunately wouldnt last for ever and his life is in serious risk if my mother is not available for a single day : he has got epilepsy too which requires care when it triggers else would require emergency care

5: no intention to bring my mother to uk beacause she will struggle to live in a country which is not hers and have culture and language barriers

6: I am his brother and i admit I have limitations to provide the nursing care for him and I will rely on the social care as my brother if gets permission to stay would be elligible for that due to his disability. For 5 years i cannot think of making 1000 pound per week to support his care if I had that money I would rather start a hospital in India for my brother. These are not practical methods

You all warned me of about the legal struggles and financial struggles which i truly respect but for my brother every day living is a struggle i want to change it for his and my life.

sarathml86
Newly Registered
India

Post by sarathml86 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:18 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:30 am
Sorry for your loss. Life does take unexpected turns and occasionally, they are to our detriment and bring us grief.

I am aware that I may be being a bit insensitive in asking these questions, but the ECO will be thinking on very similar lines. So, I hope that you are mentally prepared for difficult questioning (from the ECO, not me).

a) What is the nature of care for your brother that is unavailable in India?
Special needs required for my brother who has learning disabilities due to cerebral palsy and autism (you cannot generalise as the symptoms and care needs are entirely different to each patient). Please do not ifnore emotional care as my brother loves his mother the most and any one else is a stranger to him other than me. He does not feel safe or allow other to touch him or care him. Eventhough he has
Earning disabilities he has sense of respect and shy feelings etc. Only UK care systems understands these and i no confidence in indian Care for such patients. If there was ome I wouldnt be looking to bring my brother to UK. All mentioned hospitals are brilliant hospitals but not affordable care providers for my brothers needs.

b) How did he manage so far?

Past 35 years under his mothers care who provide excellent care. She is willing to do 7nt8ll she dies but for me that wouldnt be a solution for my brothers future. I worked hard to make a career in the UK and would not have to give up because my brother is born with disbailities, I will support him Where I Call it my home .

c) Is such care anywhere in India or just in your home town?
I would confidently say nowere in india. If available our indian health authorities should have solutions for us , support to carers. Indian health care systems has intelligent doctors and hard working nurses who are under paid and hence why the care system is cheaper in india and why all foreigners come to india for care. But lacks support for disabled patients. I am talking about middle classs/working families and i wouldnt have a clue how rich class takes care of such diabled patients.

Many foreigners, including some British people, go to India for medical treatment because of the cost factor. There are some hospital chains such as Apollo Hospitals in South India and some hospitals such as Jaslok and Lilavati in Mumbai and AIIMS in Delhi, which could very well provide your brother with the relevant care.

You will be expected to take out private health insurance for the first five years, as you will have to sign an undertaking confirming that they will not make any demands on the health, welfare and social care systems for five years after arriving in the country. Which essentially would mean that all the healthcare, at-home care, etc would be privately funded by you and not by public authorities.

The ECO can then ask you how would it be more affordable for you to privately fund your brother's care in the UK, but not in India, where as I mentioned above, many foreigners go for cheap private healthcare.