ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Adult dependant relative

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jul14o
Newly Registered

Adult dependant relative

Post by jul14o » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:26 pm

I would be most grateful for any tips and advise. I have been trailing the forum for several hours looking for answers and not getting much headway.

Both my husband and I are naturalised British Citizens. My mum and dad in law have been living in the UK for 12 years, originally on private medical treatment. Over the last few years they have had multiple applications, several court cases and can't count how many appeals. Various lawyers which have advised various different applications. They are now 65 and 66 and their current solicitor has said their only option is to go down the adult dependant relative route and to fill out FLR(O) form. We're struggling to fill out the forms, confused about what proof etc we are meant to be showing and weather this is actually the right form for the route.

We're running out of options. Feeling quite sad and despondent as it has been quite a long (and expensive) journey. Up until a few years ago my mum in law would work and looked after my father in law, but with it becoming increasingly difficult, we have been supporting them financially, although they have continued to live by themselves. They do not and have never used public funds. They are an integral part of our lives, our sons life as well as their local community and can't bear the thought of having to leave, in addition to the fact that they just won't cope, not financially not socially going back.

I appreciate everyone has their sob stories and we're just one of many but any constructive advise would be much appreciated.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Adult dependant relative

Post by Wanderer » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:31 pm

So they are illegal? If so adult dep route won't work and to be honest, if they are legal it won't work either.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

jul14o
Newly Registered

Post by jul14o » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:52 pm

Wanderer wrote:So they are illegal? If so adult dep route won't work and to be honest, if they are legal it won't work either.
Thanks for that. I suppose they can be classed as that. Although they never got their passports sent back all these years and they have continued re applying, or appealed each time it was indicated. So not sure how that is classed. Would you recommend any other route? Cheers

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:02 pm

Would you recommend any other route?
There isn't one. The rules are becoming more difficult.

You could move to an EU state and try the Surinder Singh route (google it) by exercising treaty rights etc and they would need to prove dependency (wholly/same househole) on you/husband. But they will need passports to do that.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jul14o
Newly Registered

Post by jul14o » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:22 pm

All rather bleak. Will look into the EU route, although as a GP it will be rather tricky for me. Thanks anyway.

xjhl
Newly Registered

Post by xjhl » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Hello, I couldn't give you any suggestions but just want to say I totally understand how you feel.

I am facing the same problem at the moment, mum 65 has just diagnosed lung cancer. For most british people and immigration officers, there is another old foreigner want to come to take their tax money. But for her, she would like to be with me - her only daughter, she would like to hold her grandchildren everyday before she die. And I would like to comfort her and make her happy for her short remaining life. This is called family life, should be normal but not allowed here.

I hope you and your family worked things out in the end. What kind of visa did they apply last few years to keep them here?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:16 pm

xjhl wrote:Hello, I couldn't give you any suggestions but just want to say I totally understand how you feel.

I am facing the same problem at the moment, mum 65 has just diagnosed lung cancer. For most british people and immigration officers, there is another old foreigner want to come to take their tax money. But for her, she would like to be with me - her only daughter, she would like to hold her grandchildren everyday before she die. And I would like to comfort her and make her happy for her short remaining life. This is called family life, should be normal but not allowed here.

I hope you and your family worked things out in the end. What kind of visa did they apply last few years to keep them here?
The opposite argument is you should think of that before emigrating. Did you never think your parents would get old and need care and what would happen? We all put it on the back burner I know. I have.

Not accusing, just posing the other side of the argument, but there is a choice if you want family life, just it maybe not on the terms we all want.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....