ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying partner visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sweet_dolly
Newly Registered

Applying partner visa

Post by sweet_dolly » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:09 am

Hi everyone. I am a 25 Taiwanese girl who has a dutch boyfriend working in UK. We met each other
on the internet three years ago. After half year we met, we started to see each other.
It was not easy. He has been in Taiwan for three times, and I have been in UK three times and
Holland for two times. The duration of each stay was two weeks to one month.

Recently we wanted to find a way to live together. Since he has got a good job in UK
for five years. It's an attempt that I could go there to join him.However, we encounter
a problem in the qualification of partner visa.

It said:

You and your unmarried or same sex partner must show that:

* any previous marriage, civil partnership or similar relationship, has permanently broken down
* you have been living together in a relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership for
two years or more
* you have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you and your household, and
where you and your dependants.......................

The questioning one is the second one. We've never really lived together for more than one
month. We don't have any evidence of joint commitments. We only have emails and photos from
the beginning, and all the stamps and visas that show where and when we met.
And what confused me more is, if a person who doesn't have right
to live in UK, how come is there a history he or she has been lived in UK for
two years?

Does it mean I couldn't apply a partner visa?

John

Post by John » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:38 pm

Does it mean I couldn't apply a partner visa?
That is right, to apply as an unmarried partner the two of you would have needed to live together for at least two years. Clearly you are nowhere close to that.

Please appreciate that no one on this Board wrote the rules, but it would be oh-so-different if the two of you were married! It would then be an easy procedure for you to apply for and get an UK-issued EEA Family Permit and that would enable you to move to the UK and live with your husband (as he would be), and to work in the UK.

Your boyfriend ... he has lived and worked in the UK for five years .... do you know if he has got a UK Permanent Residence sticker in his Dutch passport? If he has, another possibility would be for you to apply for a fiancée visa, come to the UK, and then get married during the six-month duration of that fiancée visa, then after the marriage in the UK, apply for a spouse visa in the UK.
John