ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British, Want to move home with my Mexican Wife

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Couture
Newly Registered

British, Want to move home with my Mexican Wife

Post by Couture » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:37 pm

Guys

I have read every thread for 10 pages and am struggling to get a clearer picture of what to expect in my particular set of circumstances. Ive been shoved from pillar to post by British Consulate in Mexico, CAB in UK, Immigration help line in UK etc, so whilst I apologise for what seems like a repetition of many threads before, I am really hoping some of you can give me some clarity on just how to play this.

Ok, so.. my situation is as follows: I am British and have been living between the UK, Ireland and Mexico over the last 10 years or so, so my trail in the UK is thin. I still have a bank account there but no savings.

Here in Mexico, I am a divorcee just about to marry my Mexican partner. We havent got huge savings as life is pretty hard here and keeping money is difficult! (pesos dont equate into pounds well at all!).

My intention is to come to the UK on event of a firm job offer and bring my wife with me. I have a friend who can put us up until we get on our feet. Now, my understanding is the following, could someone please correct me where wrong and tell me what I have missed or how to remedy it?

- She will automatically have 27 months to live and work in UK after applying for permission to enter from Mexico, toward the end of which we apply for her ILR
- She can apply for PTE on the basis of support from me
- A letter from my friend as landlord would suffice as proof of place of residence
- Before applying, she has to complete an approved English exam here in Mexico

Now, the finances...as I have no real savings, would a letter from my prospective employer stating my salary suffice as proof of income?

Thanks guys for any clarification, its easy to take for granted what we have in being British!

John

Post by John » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:28 pm

The salary offer, roughly how much will you be earning?
She can apply for PTE on the basis of support from me
PTE? What is that?

Also, how long have the two of you lived together (if indeed the two of you are living together now)?
John

Couture
Newly Registered

Post by Couture » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:22 pm

John wrote:The salary offer, roughly how much will you be earning?
She can apply for PTE on the basis of support from me
PTE? What is that?

Also, how long have the two of you lived together (if indeed the two of you are living together now)?
PTE sorry, im messing up my abbreviations... Permission to Enter was what was in my head at the time. LTE it should be yes?

Ill be earning roughly 40k a year in London. On my salary alone, and if we apply under the premise that we live with a friend, I should be able to show that after bills etc I will have more than the necessary 102.25 left over per week.

We have lived together here in Mexico for nigh on 2 years... we are hitting 18/19 months here in Mexico but have been together longer....difficult to prove because in Mexico, the phone bill is in your landlords name, I use her bank account to put my salary into, our mobiles are in her name etc.

John

Post by John » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:38 pm

I would say, go for it! With a job offer of £40K the financial test should be passed, and clearly low/no accommodation costs initially can only help.

The 27-month spouse visa would be her leave to enter.

How good is her English?
John

Couture
Newly Registered

Post by Couture » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:47 pm

John wrote:I would say, go for it! With a job offer of £40K the financial test should be passed, and clearly low/no accommodation costs initially can only help.

The 27-month spouse visa would be her leave to enter.

How good is her English?
her english is pristine. She has spent the last couple of years with a Scot mind you so, I think ive wrecked her grammar.

So because of the marriage from Mexico, we do not have to show the two years thing? Thats only for fiance and unmarried partner isnt it?

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:40 pm

I agree with John. You don't need to prove a relationship of 2 years..that's for an Unmarried Partner application..just submit evidence to show that the relationship is genuine. Photos/letters etc...whatever you have.

Couture
Newly Registered

Post by Couture » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:00 pm

excellent, thanks for the help guys...

Couture
Newly Registered

Post by Couture » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:15 pm

Its a shame the application for visas take so long - the tricky thing coming to light now is that in order to provide a letter of offer of employment with a salary stated, to support my partners application...im going to have to find an employer willing to wait for me!

How do you guys do it? I see plenty people here in the UK whilst their partner is in their country of origin. I am not sure I could ever leave her alone here. Also, should there be a problem with the application, it means you are an ocean apart for an indefinite period of time no? Potentially a year or so?

ooft!

Couture
Newly Registered

Post by Couture » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:44 pm

Guys,

Another quick question regarding proof of finance etc.

On the basis that my wife to be and I will be travelling TO the UK, meaning I have no savings there - would a letter of offer from my company in the UK stating salary expectations be enough to justify her visa? What I mean is - is proof of future earnings submissable as proof of being able to support her rather than showing statements etc?

This is playing on my mind a bit as I have no account here and have simply been using hers. Any heads u would be much appreciated, I should maybe go and open an account and try to source some cash to park in it for a few months.

John

Post by John » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:49 pm

Ah the "joy" of international marriages! Following our marriage and the grant of the spouse visa just 17 days after our legal marriage, my wife handed in her notice at a job in Thailand as a College Lecturer. Why didn't she hand in that notice earlier? Because we dare not just assume that the visa would be granted, and if it was declined or delayed, what would she do? So, a deliberate decision, she did not hand in her notice until the visa was in the passport, and then I had to return to England to work, while she worked out her notice. She arrive in the UK a month after the start of the visa.

Couture, expect to have to spend some time apart, if only to assist with the process of getting the visa issued.
John

Couture
Newly Registered

Post by Couture » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:57 pm

Thats unfortunate John...the joy, indeed!

I was speaking to her about the possibility last night...im just concerned by saying ok - heres a letter of offer from my office and they want me in 4 weeks....

Then going, starting work, getting setup there...and then for some reason theres a hitch and she cant join me for month(s!)

We bounced an email to, ah i cant even remember today im so tired of it...but we emailed who we were advised to email here in mexico to ask "would a letter of offer be adequate?"...they pointed us to a website that didnt even load. So frustrating mate.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:48 pm

If it helps, my Moroccan husband and I were in a similar situation before we re-located to the UK. We were living in Spain and had very little savings. I had a written job offer and a letter from family to say we could live with them until we found a place of our own. My husband was granted a visa without a problem and now has British Citizenship.

Couture
Newly Registered

Post by Couture » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:52 pm

Casa wrote:If it helps, my Moroccan husband and I were in a similar situation before we re-located to the UK. We were living in Spain and had very little savings. I had a written job offer and a letter from family to say we could live with them until we found a place of our own. My husband was granted a visa without a problem and now has British Citizenship.
Ah thats great! Congratulations...

Did you have to supply a whole raft of other documentation?

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:22 pm

We submitted marriage certificate (translated), photos together, taken over 2 years, proof of joint address, bank statements, copy of mortgage agreement of family's home in the UK, letter of invitation from family to stay, letter of offer of employment. My husband was asked to come back the following day with his Vida Laboral (official record of his employment in Spain, similar to HMRC) and also proof of where a recent deposit of 6,000 euros had come from (receipt of car sale from equivalent of DVLA). He also submitted his Spanish residency permit.

Couture
Newly Registered

Post by Couture » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:41 pm

Casa wrote:We submitted marriage certificate (translated), photos together, taken over 2 years, proof of joint address, bank statements, copy of mortgage agreement of family's home in the UK, letter of invitation from family to stay, letter of offer of employment. My husband was asked to come back the following day with his Vida Laboral (official record of his employment in Spain, similar to HMRC) and also proof of where a recent deposit of 6,000 euros had come from (receipt of car sale from equivalent of DVLA). He also submitted his Spanish residency permit.
The bank statements - those were from Spain? my concerns are stemming from the fact that I havent really got my name on anything here in Mexico. I was rather slow in the head in not anticipating this problem when I first came here and was content to simply use my partners existing account etc.

What I will be providing, probably will be the following: (feel free to comment, please do)

- Marriage Cert (translated and apostilled)
- Letter from Current Landlord (shows we have been joint tennants)
- Bank Statements showing 2 salaries going into the account
- Letter from my employer stating my salary (proof that one of those payments is mine)?
- Letter of offer from employer in London
- Letter of accommodation from friend
- Projected costs and bills (to show ability to support both me and wife)
- photos together (hopefully the digital date is in the file info)
- plane tickets
- possibly some emails
- Receipt of car sale, TV sale...etc prior to moving (this should only give us about 3k sterling, damned pesos!) which will pay for flights, and deposit on first apartment
- Copies of Wifes architecture degree to prove she is in the line of work she claims and that she can find meaningful employment for a decent salary

.....what do you think? did i miss anything?

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:38 am

Our bank account was only in my husband's name...same situation you have now and it wasn't queried.
Your wife will have to submit a certificate showing she's taken the pre-entry English test if you apply after 29th November.
The letter offering you confirmed employment is going to strengthen the financial side of the application. Converting Euros to Sterling we had around the same amount in savings as you have.

alliyaah27
Newly Registered

want to marry my Chilean boyfriend

Post by alliyaah27 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:30 pm

Hi guys, I hope im posting it in the right section. I need help as i dont know where to start from. I am a UK citizen, im Polish but have been living and working here for last 7 years. I met a Chilean guy online about a year ago, we met face to face few weeks ago in Cyprus, both of us were on holidays there. We liked each other since day one but obviously werent treating this seriously as we were miles away from each other ..until we met. Now we've decided we want to live together and also get married as we both looking for stabilisation in life and want to start the family. The problem is I dont want to move somehwere else, i want to stay in UK because i have a very good life here. Im 30 years old, good secure job but only £18K a year, also a part time job so another £3000-£4000 a year so I need to bring him here. Believe or not I have a very genuine intentions and honestly want to start a family with him as he is one of the most genuine, simple and honest people i have ever met and i dont care that we havent known each other for long. The problem is i will not have many proves of our relationship because it wasnt really a relationship before plus we usualy talk on msn or facebook chat so i cant prove that. I have few text messages and few messages from facebook but nothing to prove that we were in a relationship then. I was thinking maybe to bring him here on a fiance visa first but then will my income be enough to support me and him? In my view it will be because i dont pay much for my rental accomodation but in immigration officer's eye will it be enough? What is the best option for us? He doesnt have any monies, he is quite poor in general. Please advice me. Thank you

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: want to marry my Chilean boyfriend

Post by 86ti » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:49 pm

alliyaah27 wrote:I am a UK citizen, im Polish but have been living and working here for last 7 years.
So you are originally from Poland but then you have naturalised as British and now you have two citizenships? If so you may also want to look into the EEA route esp. if money is tight.

alliyaah27
Newly Registered

Post by alliyaah27 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:57 pm

well I dont have a British passport because i dont need one, but since i have been here for so long and also Poland is member of EU I am a permanent citizen here -have got a permanent citizen card...

John

Post by John » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:05 pm

Based upon what you have posted you do not have a "a permanent citizen card" .... there is no such thing .... but you might well have a "permanent residence card". But that does not make you a British Citizen. If you want British Citizenship then you will need to apply for Naturalisation.
John

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:08 pm

As a permanent resident under EEA regulations (do you have a PR card?) you can choose both the UK route (UK immigration rules) as well as the EEA route. The latter should be particularly easy because you do not have to proof anymore that you are exercising your treaty rights, i.e. proof of sufficient income. See guidance.

alliyaah27
Newly Registered

Post by alliyaah27 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:10 pm

Yes i meant permanent resident card and no i dont want to became a British citizen, i want to bring my boyfriend here...can someone please advise me on that?

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:14 pm

alliyaah27 wrote:Yes i meant permanent resident card and no i dont want to became a British citizen, i want to bring my boyfriend here...can someone please advise me on that?
I believe I just did.
Last edited by 86ti on Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John

Post by John » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:14 pm

So why alliyaah27, at 7.30.pm today, in this topic, did you post "I am a UK citizen"?

Anything else you have posted you need to correct?
John

alliyaah27
Newly Registered

Post by alliyaah27 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:16 pm

ok apologies for that..English isnt my first language, i meant uk resident. And also thank you for your advise, i did not see your post when i was replying, sorry..