ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Canadian citizen to UK resident

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Casa

Re: Canadian citizen to UK resident

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:56 am

noajthan wrote:
Casa wrote:noajthan will the fact that he has been regularly stamped in and out of the UK as a visitor for the last few years make any difference to qualifying under SS?
@Casa, my understanding is there is no precondition on the previous type of immigration status a dependent has to have before switching to the EU migration route.
I am not over familiar with it but I have seen reference to case law that even permits those with no status (or illegal status) to switch to the EU migration route.
Other members have certainly switched or contemplated switching from the visit route.
Seems positive then. I feel I may be appearing to the OP as the 'bad cop' in this thread...but just being cautious. :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:02 am

Casa wrote:
noajthan wrote:Seems positive then. I feel I may be appearing to the OP as the 'bad cop' in this thread...but just being cautious. :wink:
That is indeed the power of the hive mind of the forum.
  • Devil's advocate;
    Good cop, bad cop;
    Straw man;
    Stalking horse;
    Fairy godmother;
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:04 am

noajthan wrote:
Casa wrote:
noajthan wrote:Seems positive then. I feel I may be appearing to the OP as the 'bad cop' in this thread...but just being cautious. :wink:
That is indeed the power of the hive mind of the forum.
  • Devil's advocate;
    Good cop, bad cop;
    Straw man;
    Stalking horse;
    Fairy godmother;
I'll take a turn as the fairy godmother then. :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

TheSpouse
Newly Registered

Post by TheSpouse » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:34 am

Good cop , bad cop , fairy Godmother -- I don't care !! You guys are fantastic and have given me ( us ) the best usuable info of any source.

TheSpouse
Newly Registered

Post by TheSpouse » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:38 am

Good cop , bad cop , fairy Godmother -- I don't care !! You guys are fantastic and have given me ( us ) the best usuable info of any source.

TheSpouse
Newly Registered

Post by TheSpouse » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:39 am

Look at me ... So excited I'm stuttering

strontiumdog74

Post by strontiumdog74 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:41 am

@canuk

When you apply for the spouse VISA it is your earnings that will be considered not dis, so if you have earned more than 18,600 in the last 6 months and have the necessary proof (payslips, bank statements) then you should be ok
If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it, the long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists

Whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:17 am

strontiumdog74 wrote:@canuk

When you apply for the spouse VISA it is your earnings that will be considered not dis, so if you have earned more than 18,600 in the last 6 months and have the necessary proof (payslips, bank statements) then you should be ok
It appears that the OP will be relying solely on pension & any savings, which may not be sufficient to meet the minimum income level of £18,600 p.a
(Casa, not CR001)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:19 am

canuckspouse wrote:Casa, thank you. My income far exceeds the £18,000 figure, but my husband's does not. Can I sponsor him, so that his income is not an issue?
Apparently OP does meet the requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:24 am

CR001 wrote:
canuckspouse wrote:Casa, thank you. My income far exceeds the £18,000 figure, but my husband's does not. Can I sponsor him, so that his income is not an issue?
Apparently OP does meet the requirements.
Ah thanks...I missed that. I'll polish my spectacles! :oops: No problem in sponsoring under UK rules (with application submitted outside of the UK) if they don't opt for Surinder Singh.
(Casa, not CR001)

canuckspouse
Newly Registered

Post by canuckspouse » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:26 pm

Thank you everyone. This has been so helpful. We are going to phone a solicitor tomorrow, get together all the necessary paperwork and try the Surrendar Singh route first. Will keep you informed on this site. Enjoy the tennis!

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:09 pm

canuckspouse wrote:Thank you everyone. This has been so helpful. We are going to phone a solicitor tomorrow, get together all the necessary paperwork and try the Surrendar Singh route first. Will keep you informed on this site. Enjoy the tennis!
Good luck. As I believe noajthan has advised earlier in the thread, ensure the legal advisor is fully conversant with EEA Regulations and the Surinder Singh route. Not all have the experience to do so. If you choose to consult an OISC Registered Immigration Advisor, it would be wise to find one who is qualified at level 3.
(Casa, not CR001)

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:28 pm

noajthan wrote:there may be a way out based on the EU migration route.

You may have inadvertently successfully completed the Surinder Singh route by exercising your treaty rights in a Union state and then returning to UK.
It's still an unknown about what will happen to those in the UK on EU law, when EU law ends. Here is just one of the many links about this on the web.

British Home Secretary Theresa May on Monday refused to rule out the deportation of European Union (EU) nationals living in Britain, amid fears that guaranteeing their rights could lead to a "huge influx" of migrants.

May, who has emerged as the frontrunner in the race to succeed Prime Minister David Cameron as the leader of the ruling Conservative party, said that although she wanted to "guarantee the position" of EU citizens currently living in Britain, their future could be up for negotiation, The Independent reported.

"She was saying it is unwise to promise right now that all EU nationals living in Britain should be able to stay indefinitely. The reason for that is if we did that the same rights would have to apply to any EU national who comes to Britain before we leave the EU," an official said.

http://www.firstpost.com/world/british- ... 72496.html

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:44 pm

This is not to turn into a post on Mrs May and/or Brexit.

Article 50 has not yet been triggered and will take 2 years or so to run its course.

OP has already been cautioned about Brexit and, if they qualify under SS, already appear to have 3 or 4 years residence in UK in the bag.
If they do plump for the EU route that's a good place to be and probably better off than most migrants who are still in flight on the EU trajectory and with more years to serve.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:15 pm

If he can make it to BC before Brexit, then yes.

Until we know about what has been negotiated for those that don't, all we can do is guess.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:25 pm

Petaltop wrote:If he can make it to BC before Brexit, then yes.

Until we know about what has been negotiated for those that don't all we can do is guess.
It doesn't matter. OP, if on SS route, has, by the magic of serendipity, been on it for the past 3 or 4 years (plus 16 or so previous years in Switzerland).

There are plenty of other topics on the consequences of Brexit - this is not the place.

canuckspouse
Newly Registered

Post by canuckspouse » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi guys. Can someone help explaining all the acronyms you use?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:49 pm

canuckspouse wrote:Hi guys. Can someone help explaining all the acronyms you use?
OP = original poster (you) - standard internet terminology

SS = Surinder Singh

BC = British citizen(ship)

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:44 am

EU = European Union (used interchangeably here with EEA (European Economic Area) which comprises the EU and Norway, Iceland & Liechtenstein)
CoL = centre of life
RC = registration certificate OR residence card (depends on context, EEA or non-EEA)
PR = permanent residence
MET = minimum earning threshold

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:29 am

noajthan wrote:
canuckspouse wrote:Hi guys. Can someone help explaining all the acronyms you use?
OP = original poster (you) - standard internet terminology

SS = Surinder Singh

BC = British citizen(ship)
What is the PEP that you talk about when using MET/PEP?

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:34 am

noajthan wrote:
Petaltop wrote:If he can make it to BC before Brexit, then yes.

Until we know about what has been negotiated for those that don't all we can do is guess.
It doesn't matter. OP, if on SS route, has, by the magic of serendipity, been on it for the past 3 or 4 years (plus 16 or so previous years in Switzerland).

There are plenty of other topics on the consequences of Brexit - this is not the place.

I was merely pointing out to the OP, the stance of the UK government so far because you had said
noajthan wrote: there may be a way out based on the EU migration route.
The OP (canuckspouse) has a right to know everything so that she can make her own informed choice, especially as she has already said that her income is more than the 18.6 needed for her to sponsor her husband.
Last edited by Petaltop on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:41 am

:D Sorry, we get so used to using them that we forget about new posters.
Last edited by Petaltop on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:45 am

Petaltop wrote:I was merely pointing out to the OP, the stance of the UK government so far because you had said
noajthan wrote: there may be a way out based on the EU migration route.
She has a right to know everything so that she can make her own choice, especially as she has already said income is more than the 18.6 needed to sponsor her husband.
Yes, and the key words there are may be...

The forum is about enabling and facilitating not spoonfeeding.

In any case noone here has the full facts and a clear picture of this (or any other) case.

Partial information is only ever shared; vital information can be overlooked or suppressed, it can be massaged or misrepresented; it may be misremembered or just plain wrong or it may be purely hypothetical.

OP has been advised to seek professional advice; has been given ample resources on SS, cautioned on Brexit complications and any prudent applicant will be doing their own research.

TheSpouse
Newly Registered

Post by TheSpouse » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:44 pm

After that last and again very helpful post I'm afraid I'm going to ask for a bit of spoon feeding ...

I've just got off the line with two different solicitors offices
1) not seemingly knowledgable and offering an in office consultation (£150.--)
2) more on the ball but offering a Skype appointment and follow up letter (£370.-- )

Before deciding on either I'm trying to find other offices versed in the topic but coming up short down here ( Cornwall , nearish to Plymouth )

Is there such a thing as a guide to immigration lawyers ?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:23 pm

TheSpouse wrote:After that last and again very helpful post I'm afraid I'm going to ask for a bit of spoon feeding ...

I've just got off the line with two different solicitors offices
1) not seemingly knowledgable and offering an in office consultation (£150.--)
2) more on the ball but offering a Skype appointment and follow up letter (£370.-- )

Before deciding on either I'm trying to find other offices versed in the topic but coming up short down here ( Cornwall , nearish to Plymouth )

Is there such a thing as a guide to immigration lawyers ?
For obvious reasons we don't endorse individual practitioners here.
Your best bet is the Law Society and OISC official websites as a starting point.

http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/sea ... &Pro=False

https://www.gov.uk/find-an-immigration- ... an-adviser