ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependant visa extension for wife and child

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

srinikvasan
Newly Registered

Dependant visa extension for wife and child

Post by srinikvasan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:36 pm

Hi Friends,

I'm quite new to the forum and have a query which I assume someone will be able to help clarify.

My wife and child (currently aged 11), joined me in the UK on August 2014. They applied for Family of Settled Person visa from India. Their visa is due for renewal in April 2017. I was holding ILR at the time of their visa application. I gained my ILR based on Work Permit & Tier 1 (General) visas held for 5 years. I got naturalised as British Citizen in December 2014. I also held ILR for 2 years before naturalisation.

Request clarification on below queries:

1) Can my wife & child apply on FLR(M) for the renewal or should they use PBS dependant visa category?
2) Can they switch to family of a settled person visa category?
3) If they apply on (or switch to) FLR (M) will their continuity of living in UK reset (does their qualifying period begins again)?

Please, help me to get a clarification with your knowledge.

Regards,

Srini K

vinny

Re: Dependant visa extension for wife and child

Post by vinny » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:04 am

They are already family members of a settled person since they applied for entry clearances after you had ILR.

They cannot apply as PBS dependants. They should extend on FLR(M) after spending 30 months in the UK and before their leave expires.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

srinikvasan
Newly Registered

Post by srinikvasan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:06 pm

Thanks for your reply Vinny. I thought the same but as per homeoffice website:

Your partner originally had a temporary visa as a worker
If your partner was in the UK on a temporary visa before settling or becoming a British citizen, you may have to apply as a ‘dependant’ (partner) in their original visa category.

Find out how to apply as a ‘dependant’ (partner or child under 18) if your partner or parent settled as someone with a:

Tier 1 (General) visa

The above confuses me. UKBA enquiries said they cannot confirm it as they "don't" have information related to which visa we need to apply :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:26 pm

srinikvasan wrote:Thanks for your reply Vinny. I thought the same but as per homeoffice website:

Your partner originally had a temporary visa as a worker
If your partner was in the UK on a temporary visa before settling or becoming a British citizen, you may have to apply as a ‘dependant’ (partner) in their original visa category.

Find out how to apply as a ‘dependant’ (partner or child under 18) if your partner or parent settled as someone with a:

Tier 1 (General) visa

The above confuses me. UKBA enquiries said they cannot confirm it as they "don't" have information related to which visa we need to apply :)
This in ONLY applicable if your dependents were in the UK as Tier 1 General dependents. You have stated they joined in you on a settlement visa in 2014, so they can only apply for FLR(M) extension. PBS dependent route is not relevant to them.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:09 pm

They will each also have to pay the £500 NHS surcharge in addition to the visa fees.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.