ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language and ILE

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

markusha
Newly Registered

English Language and ILE

Post by markusha » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:17 am

I am a British citizen married for more than 4 years to my non-EU spouse who will be applying for settlement early next year. We live outside the UK. The rules in this case require inter alia "sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK" in order to qualify for ILE.

Am I correct in thinking that it will be sufficent for her to take the KOL test (on a visit to the UK), or does she also need to take a separate English Language test? She is fluent in English, but taking the test is another expense and trouble.

I am aware of the consultation proposals to remove this route.

Many thanks indeed

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:38 am

Just the life in the UK test is fine if she is applying for ILE

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:49 am

Perhaps also A1.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

markusha
Newly Registered

Post by markusha » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:22 pm

Well, that's the million dollar question. The rules around ILE and 4 year spouses still refer to "knowledge of language and life" (only) - they were not amended after the new language rules - so presumablyt still apply? The FAQs of the langauage test only refer to the normal situation:

"Spouses applying for indefinite leave to remain after completing their two-year period of temporary residence will also still need to fulfil the knowledge of life and language in the UK requirement (KOL)".

Does anyone have a definite answer, I wonder?

markusha
Newly Registered

Post by markusha » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:31 pm

And I just came accross this in the colsultation document:
Management information indicates
that 81 per cent of all migrants granted
settlement between 1 January 2009 and 31
December 2010 presented a Life in the UK
test certificate, which is equivalent to level
B1 of the Common European Framework
of Reference,
If that is the case, why have a separate A1 requirement (even if it might involve different skills)?

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:20 am

markusha wrote:Well, that's the million dollar question. The rules around ILE and 4 year spouses still refer to "knowledge of language and life" (only) - they were not amended after the new language rules - so presumablyt still apply? The FAQs of the langauage test only refer to the normal situation:

"Spouses applying for indefinite leave to remain after completing their two-year period of temporary residence will also still need to fulfil the knowledge of life and language in the UK requirement (KOL)".

Does anyone have a definite answer, I wonder?
The answer is in the rules themselves. If the applicant meets the requirements for ILE then they do not also need to meet the A1 English language requirement

282. A person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as the spouse or civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom or who is on the same occasion being admitted for settlement may:

(a) in the case of a person who meets the requirements of paragraph 281(i)(a)(i) and one of the requirements of paragraph 281(i)(a)(ii) - (vi) be admitted for an initial period not exceeding 27 months, or
(b) in the case of a person who meets all of the requirements in paragraph 281(i)(b), be granted indefinite leave to enter, or

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:47 am

Well spotted!
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

markusha
Newly Registered

Post by markusha » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:16 pm

Thank you. The key words in the rules ((b)(ii)) are

"the applicant has sufficient knowledge of the English language and sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom"

What you are saying, I think is that the above words are the same as

"knowledge of life and language in the UK requirement (KOL)",

the term used elsewhere by the agency. I am just wary that, by using different language, some different test of English is applied.

Or am I just being over-suspicious/cynical?

Many thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:35 pm

Cynical but who can blame you.

See 33B-33F

markusha
Newly Registered

Post by markusha » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:56 am

Thanks - the crucial "or" is there.