ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirement for the Spouse Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Destiny08
Newly Registered

English Language Requirement for the Spouse Visa

Post by Destiny08 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:10 am

So I asked on another post last week sometime! But got no replies :( and I can't find anywhere else where the information is.
It seems obvious to me! But I'd just like confirmation.

I haven't taken the test for the English Language Requirement, and I don't have a bachelor degree at all, but I do have the Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults from Cambridge. Meaning I'm a qualified ESOL teacher - would providing my CELTA certificate be enough to show that I speak English well enough? Or will I still have to take the test?

anjum786mohammed

Re: English Language Requirement for the Spouse Visa

Post by anjum786mohammed » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:57 am

Destiny08 wrote:So I asked on another post last week sometime! But got no replies :( and I can't find anywhere else where the information is.
It seems obvious to me! But I'd just like confirmation.

I haven't taken the test for the English Language Requirement, and I don't have a bachelor degree at all, but I do have the Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults from Cambridge. Meaning I'm a qualified ESOL teacher - would providing my CELTA certificate be enough to show that I speak English well enough? Or will I still have to take the test?
is it on the ukba approved english test list?

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:17 am

As you admit, you previously asked this question on July 25th, but Vinny gave you the link (text in blue) to the information you need, so you did receive an answer. http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#521130
The link confirms that your qualification isn't on the official list. You need to comply with the test, which should be easy for you.

Destiny08
Newly Registered

Post by Destiny08 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:56 pm

Thanks Casa, I understand fully what you are saying, but that doesnt really answer what I need to know, I DO comply with their expectancies, English is my first language, AND i have a teaching qualification IN English.. Im not debating whether it is, or isnt on the list, what im asking is, If i submit my application without it, would i be rubber stamped away with a 'NO ENGLISH' or would they look at it objectively and think 'well yup, clearly this person speaks english, the debate isnt to avoid rules or to not comply infact Ive done nothing BUT comply. the fact is, its alot of money to be spent for a piece of paper that validates what anyone who READS my certificate can figure out.

so my question is, will somebody look at my case on a case by case basis and realise that whilst a test could be useful for SOME. for an english native speaker, aswell as somebody who has TEACHING qualifications in English.. will common sense prevail? or is the system really this bad.

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Common sense doesn't come into it unfortunately. The decision is made by the ECO purely on the UKBA Regulations. The fact that you are an English teacher won't exempt you from the A1 test.
If a CELTS certficate was acceptable, it would be on the official list.
Having had a failed asylum case, you need this application to be as watertight as possible. Don't give the ECO the opportunity to refuse the application on something as minor as meeting the pre-entry language requirement.
You may not like the answer but please don't shoot the messenger.