ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR(M) with 1 month marriage but 4y of living together?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

angela1
Newly Registered

ILR(M) with 1 month marriage but 4y of living together?

Post by angela1 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:16 am

My situation is as follows:

I am non-EU citizen and stayed in UK on a student visa from Sep 1997 to July 2003 to complete my under/post graduate studies. Continued with 1 year Business/Self Employed visa (I actually had all 10 fingers necessary for my job - musician) that expires at the end of July.

In the last 4 years (and a bit) I lived together, at the same address, in a relation "akin to marriage" with my partner. One month ago with got married and now I am about to apply for the 2 years FLR(M) via the Croydon Public Enquire Office fast service.

The FLR(M) has been their advise but my question is: What are my chances in applying for ILR(M) and skipping the 2 year "probation" considering that me and my husband have been together for more then 4 years but NOT married? The ILR form is unclear in the definition of "4 years together". For the fiancée path it is obvious what the 4 years mean but for the married path do they expect 4 years of ONLY marriage?

My other question is: If I obtain the ILR and with my history of stay in UK, do I still have to wait 3 years to apply for naturalisation or can I do it after 1 year?

I need to apply asap so your advice would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Chess
Diamond Member

Re: ILR(M) with 1 month marriage but 4y of living together?

Post by Chess » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:25 am

angela1 wrote:
My other question is: If I obtain the ILR and with my history of stay in UK, do I still have to wait 3 years to apply for naturalisation or can I do it after 1 year?
All else being equal - you can apply for naturalisation immedeately upon receipt of ILR. You dont have to wait for 3 years.

Good Luck
Where there is a will there is a way.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:29 am

angela 1 wrote:The FLR(M) has been their advise but my question is: What are my chances in applying for ILR(M) and skipping the 2 year "probation" considering that me and my husband have been together for more then 4 years but NOT married? The ILR form is unclear in the definition of "4 years together". For the fiancée path it is obvious what the 4 years mean but for the married path do they expect 4 years of ONLY marriage?
Nothing to do with the Forms - the amendment to the immigration rules giving those married or in a relationship akin to marriage to a person present and settled in the UK (I presume your husband is a British Citizen)direct ILR applies to where the couple have been together for at least 4 years abroad . You may however try for a concessionary application outside the rules.
angela 1 wrote:My other question is: If I obtain the ILR and with my history of stay in UK, do I still have to wait 3 years to apply for naturalisation or can I do it after 1 year?
Applicants married to British Citizens can apply for naturalisation as soon as they get ILR subject to meeting all the other requirements e.g. legal residence i.e. 3 yrs in UK with no absences as defined = not more than 270 days over the 3 years and not more than 90 days in the last year preeceding the date of application, passing character tests etc.

Let us know how it went.

angela1
Newly Registered

Post by angela1 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:44 pm

Thanks for your very prompt reply but, sorry, I am still a bit confused. Do I have the right to apply NOW for the ILR or I have to go via the 2 years FLR(M) route? And about my husband, yes, he is British citizen.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:27 am

angela 1 wrote:Thanks for your very prompt reply but, sorry, I am still a bit confused.
With all due respect have you really read my response? - I don't see any confusion in it. To repeat - as the immigration rules stand you cannot apply for ILR now - you must go through FLR for 2 years. We accept you have been together for the 4 years but these have been in the UK not abroad/ outside the UK. However you can ask the Home Office to exercise discretion and grant you ILR outside the rules - IMHO they won't but you don't know till you try.