ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Quick check on which form I need to use

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ginjarou

Quick check on which form I need to use

Post by Ginjarou » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:02 pm

Hello all.

My fiancé is Japanese and is currently an adult student (Tier 4). Her current visa expires in October and at that time we will apply for the partner visa (I am a British citizen).

However I'm confused about the two forms - FLR(M) and FLR(FP) which are found on this page: https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family/apply

It doesn't say what the difference is or which I should use? I thought at first I should use the FLR(M) but don't see why I should't use the FLR(FP) form...

Also another quick question - I'm slightly confused about this biometric thing it mentions on the form. From what I've read elsewhere and on these boards, this is something that is requested by the Home Office after we have applied. Is this correct? I'm just wondering if I need to complete it separately to this application before we submit it.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Quick check on which form I need to use

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:26 pm

You need to complete FLR(M) as an unmarried partner visa, provided you meet all the requirements are in particular, the 'living together for two years in a relationship akin to marriage'. This requirement is the first you need to meet with documentary proof and if you don't meet it, it is grounds for a refusal.

FLR(FP) is right to private life/family life and as you are not married or have children (assuming), this is the incorrect form.

Biometrics are done after you submit the application. They will write to you to do go for biometrics at the Post Office if you applied by post.

If you apply in person at a PEO, biometrics will be done on the day that you attend your appointment as part of the process.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ginjarou

Post by Ginjarou » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:02 pm

Thanks for the info. I will make sure we use the FLR(M) form and we will probably post it.

We've been living together for about two and a half years in two different flats but before we apply we may move back in with my parents. Do you think that would matter? I have tenancy agreements proving we lived together and can also have written statements from our family that our relationship is legitimate.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:06 pm

Accommodation won't be a problem as long as you have all the proof covering 2 years when you apply.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ginjarou

Worried about proving 2 years of living together...

Post by Ginjarou » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:36 pm

Hi all,

My fiance is Japanese and she has been studying on a Bachelors Degree which finishes soon. In October 2014 we will apply for a partner visa for the first time using the FLR(M) form and though we meet all of the requirements I'm finding it difficult to get all the paperwork of proving we have lived together for the past 2 years.

We met in Japan when I was working over there and she decided to come to the UK to study and we have been living together since she came. We lived with my mum for a few months when she first arrived, then moved into a flat of our own and then moved into a different flat in September 2013. When we apply we will have been living together for 3 years.

We have tenancy agreements and some council tax papers (in both our names) proving we have lived together but nothing else really :cry:
I have paid all of the bills so everything is in my name and she has just paid for our food (shopping at ASDA or Sainsburys on a regular basis). When I proposed to her and we decided to stay in the UK, I then realised I needed to add her name on my bills but for most you can't. E.g. Eon - you can only have one person on this bill and they don't allow a second AND they provide both our gas and electricity.

The application form says we need to submit A LOT of documents proving that we have lived at the same address together. My fiance doesn't really get any post and although I get a few things in the post - most of my banking and billing etc is done online as with most people my age. I just don't have a whole lot to prove that we have lived together. I have asked my previous flat's landlord if he could write us a letter to state that we have lived together and I will also ask my mum to write one to say that we both lived with her for a while before finding our own flat together.

Both of our bank accounts are addressed to my mum's house as I was already living there when she arrived and she had to set up a bank account straight away when she first came to the UK. In a way this proves our relationship as our (separate) bank accounts have always been addressed there. We do now have a joint account as well but when we apply it will have only been for 6 months.

Is there anything else I can do? Are there really that strict about this? I'm worried now after almost having a nervous breakdown over the financial requirement - this seems like it should be easier but NOTHING IS POST / PAPER BASED ANY MORE!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

SSWSZ
Member of Standing

Re: Worried about proving 2 years of living together...

Post by SSWSZ » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:13 pm

You can use nhs cards ,mobile phone bills ,voter registration letters ,tendency agreement,gp letter confirming both of you are living at the same address from..... Till now.you does not need joint name letters specifically but also you can use letters from diff sources addressing both of you at same address.if you have previous home office letters you can use that . Letter from you partner college /uni addressing her with the address written on it .hope this helps
ss

Ginjarou

Post by Ginjarou » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:55 pm

As she is a student is doesn't really have anything except her bank account. She has one maybe two letters from a doctor but nothing else really. I have all of the bills in my name and could only add her name to the water bill but only did this at the start of this year, the same goes for the home insurance too. Nothing else will let me add her name and I also pay for her mobile as it's a second account on my main account.

The form says that we can write a letter explaining why we haven't provided enough documents though so hopefully I can explain why and it doesn't seem as strict as the financial requirement where if you don't meet it it states that you definitely won't get the visa. At least it gives me a chance it's not the 20th century anymore...

Ginjarou

Post by Ginjarou » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:01 pm

Has anyone had a similar issue with their partner / spouse only have a few documents of proof?

Ginjarou

Apply to remain in the UK with family - Question

Post by Ginjarou » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:10 am

Hi all,

Quite confused about somethings. My fiance is Japanese and is near the end of her student visa so we are going to apply for the 'Apply to remain in the UK with family' visa as noted on this page: https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family/overview Though what is the correct name for this visa? Is it still called a Partner or Spousal Visa?

We pass all of the requirements (English language, financial and have lived together more than 2 years). This website page says it will last for 2 and a half years though when I check the Eligibility section: https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family/eligibility I can see there is a 5 year option and I don't see why we can't do that?

Back on the overview, it says 'You can stay for 2 and a half years. You’ll be able to apply to extend again towards the end of that. You can also apply to settle permanently in the UK once you’re eligible'. Though it doesn't say what requirements we need for re applying or to settle permanently...

I'm very confused. If anyone could help me out I'd be very grateful.

Casa

Re: Apply to remain in the UK with family - Question

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:20 am

To switch from student to an Unmarried Partner Visa you need to apply on form FLR(M). Here's the link;
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -form-flrm

This will grant a 2.5 year visa and you'll then have to apply for another 2.5 year extension (again on form FLR(M)). After which, assuming you meet all the conditions your fiancée will be able to apply for a permanent visa (ILR) or form SET(M). In order for the switch from student to Unmarried Partner to succeed, you need to submit evidence of at least 2 years living together in a relationship 'akin to marriage'. i.e the case worker will expect to see joint finances and commitments such as tenancy or mortgage etc.
Ensure you apply before your fiancée's current visa expires.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Ginjarou

Post by Ginjarou » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:36 am

Casa wrote:To switch from student to an Unmarried Partner Visa you need to apply on form FLR(M). Here's the link;
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -form-flrm

This will grant a 2.5 year visa and you'll then have to apply for another 2.5 year extension (again on form FLR(M)). After which, assuming you meet all the conditions your fiancée will be able to apply for a permanent visa (ILR) or form SET(M). In order for the switch from student to Unmarried Partner to succeed, you need to submit evidence of at least 2 years living together in a relationship 'akin to marriage'. i.e the case worker will expect to see joint finances and commitments such as tenancy or mortgage etc.
Ensure you apply before your fiancée's current visa expires.
Thank you, I thought it was like this but perhaps they have changed the website since I last looked. We have evidence showing we lived together for the past 2 years. Will we need to show the exact same things again in 2.5 years? i.e. lived together, her level of English and financial requirement? Or is easier to renew it?

Where can I find the conditions needed for the ILR after renewing the unmarried partner visa?

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:41 am

Here's the link for form SET(M), but bear in mind that the conditions and fee may well change in the next 5 years. You will need to submit the same evidence when you apply for the extension in 2.5 years time.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Ginjarou

Post by Ginjarou » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:42 am

Casa wrote:Here's the link for form SET(M), but bear in mind that the conditions and fee may well change in the next 5 years. You will need to submit the same evidence when you apply for the extension in 2.5 years time.
I think you forgot the link :wink: and will it mean that she can stay in the UK forever without having to renew or extend visas again?

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:52 am

You're right I did! Here's the missing link; https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -form-setm

Once she's granted ILR she can stay permanently without applying for further visas as long as she isn't absent from the UK for more than 2 years in one stretch.
If you marry during the 5 year period she will be able to apply for British Citizenship immediately after receiving ILR, if she meets the standard requirement for BC. I'm assuming you hold British nationality.
(Casa, not CR001)

Ginjarou

Post by Ginjarou » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:35 pm

Casa wrote:You're right I did! Here's the missing link; https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -form-setm

Once she's granted ILR she can stay permanently without applying for further visas as long as she isn't absent from the UK for more than 2 years in one stretch.
If you marry during the 5 year period she will be able to apply for British Citizenship immediately after receiving ILR, if she meets the standard requirement for BC. I'm assuming you hold British nationality.
Thank you for the link. I am British but as Japan doesn't allow dual nationalities she would have to give up her Japanese passport in order to become British, which she doesn't really want to do.

So for the ILR visa, it seems the same except that she needs to pass the Life in the UK test...

Ginjarou

Post by Ginjarou » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:22 pm

Also, does where you're living have much of an impact of the application? We will be living with my parents when we apply but will no doubt move in the 2.5 years during her visa. Surely they can't expect people to stay in one place?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Ginjarou wrote:Also, does where you're living have much of an impact of the application? We will be living with my parents when we apply but will no doubt move in the 2.5 years during her visa. Surely they can't expect people to stay in one place?
No, it's not a prison sentence lol!

I think you will need to show there would be no overcrowding but that's about it.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Ginjarou

Post by Ginjarou » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:35 pm

Sorry, I have another question.

Does my partner need to apply / get a biometric card at the same time as applying? The Home Office website says to apply for it 'as part of your application', but I can't find any actual detail of when to get it done. Is it required once a visa has been granted?

Thanks again.

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:01 am

Ginjarou

Post by Ginjarou » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:14 pm

Yes, that is what I am looking at but it doesn't say when this needs to be applied for. I'm assuming that once a visa is granted then my partner will need to get it done at a post office that has the facility?

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:43 pm

When you apply you will receive a further letter about biometrics. As you mentioned this is done via the Post Office and it will be sent to you once the application is approved.

Ginjarou

Post by Ginjarou » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:25 pm

SoHopeful wrote:When you apply you will receive a further letter about biometrics. As you mentioned this is done via the Post Office and it will be sent to you once the application is approved.
Thanks!

Ginjarou

Marrying on a Partner Visa?

Post by Ginjarou » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:49 am

Hi all,

My fiancee, who is Japanese, has been living in the UK for 4 years. She finished her degree here last year and we applied and succeeded in getting a partner visa.

However, I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet any information about whether we're allowed to get married on this visa? Is there are sort of permission we need from here and/or Japan? We are going to Japan for a few weeks in January so it may be a good time to get any paperwork that we need.

Any advice or a point in the right direction would be highly appreciated.

vinny

Re: Marrying on a Partner Visa?

Post by vinny » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:24 am

It's okay to marry.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.