ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

no court marriage certificate but church marriage certificat

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

j.rock
Newly Registered

no court marriage certificate but church marriage certificat

Post by j.rock » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:36 pm

I am a UK citizen and was married in India ,I was married in a church and was given a church marriage certificate and not a court marriage certificate could it be a problem or could they refuse in regards to a spouse visa.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:50 pm

A religious marriage ceremony is considered a legal marriage. However registration of marriage is now a legal requirement in most of the states in India. Without this the UK will not recognise the marriage and will refuse the visa.

j.rock
Newly Registered

Post by j.rock » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:11 pm

Lucapooka wrote:A religious marriage ceremony is considered a legal marriage. However registration of marriage is now a legal requirement in most of the states in India. Without this the UK will not recognise the marriage and will refuse the visa.

Ok thanks, I was married in Jalandhar Punjab in 2010 didn’t apply for spouse visa because of age at the time but wife came over to England for a visit on visit visa for 4 months from August 2011- December 2011 was refused visit visa first time as not enough info was given about me as my parents sponsored her .

I have already sent all documents for the spouse visa would this then mean I would have to go to India as soon as I could for a court marriage , would this be acceptable if it was the case and would anyone know of time scales I could be under or problems I could incur.

j.rock
Newly Registered

Post by j.rock » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:35 pm

Can anyone help it would be much appreciated.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:53 pm

You need to contact the relevant authorities in Jalandhar Punjab and ask if your marriage, at that time, was considered legitimate under Indian law without registration.