ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Older dependent relatives - Grandmother from Zimbabwe

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

GiaLia
Newly Registered

Older dependent relatives - Grandmother from Zimbabwe

Post by GiaLia » Tue May 31, 2016 7:52 pm

Hi guys
I was wondering if anyone could help me.I'd like to bring my grandmother over to settle from Zimbabwe.She has no family in Zimbabwe as my grandfather passed away.All her children are in the UK as well as all of her grandchildren and great grandchildren.Nearly all of us own our homes and don't use public funds.

We have recently become aware that Zimbabwe is once again going through hardships.The banks are refusing people the opportunity to withdraw more than 100euros.The shelves in the shops are becoming bare and people are resorting to travelling to South Africa,Botswana or Zambia for supplies.My grandmother is 80 and unable to make those trips on her own.She's been notified that her pension is worthless until people start to deposit their money in the banks.The water and sanitation system has completely collapsed and the is stagnant,disgusting water flowing in the capital city where she loves as well as brown,green or black water coming out of the taps!Sometimes there is no water and electricity cuts of up to one week long. At first we could pay for people to bring water over,but due to the recent economic problems,the costs are changing several times a day and we cannot get the money quickly enough for her.

Shes frequently becoming ill and we are worried about another cholera outbreak.She has health problems and we are willing to pay private medical care for her in the UK as she has her 5 daughters and 13 working grandchildren who can afford to pay for it.We were paying for it in Zimbabwe but have been told that the company has shut down and we managed to get another company which shut down again after just one month.She has had a few housekeepers and nurses but they've all left due to the costs of daily services changing several times a day.it has become impossible for us to predict exactly how much money will be needed,and I'm sure that you can imagine our fears of her not having medical care.

We're not too sure how bad things will become (as if they're not bad enough), but would like to get the ball rolling in trying to get her here so that we can look after her. If anyone has any advise, it would be greatly appreciated.Her first language is English and all of her family over here are British citizens.thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Older dependent relatives - Grandmother from Zimbabwe

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:50 am

I have moved your post to its own stand alone topic and also broken your block paragraph down. Very difficult to read such a large block of text.

This is one of the most difficult and expenses visas to get with an almost 100% refusal rate.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

GiaLia
Newly Registered

Post by GiaLia » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:15 pm

I'm sorry about the previous post,it's quite difficult to compress something so important without losing information.Thank you for your response.It's quite disappointing to hear that it's bound to fail,especially since we can prove that it will be impossible to maintain payments with a collapsing economy.Zimbabwe will not have foreign currency as of August and will use bond notes.I am stressing out big time trying to work out a way.So basically it would be a lost cause.Is there any other visa I can apply for?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:33 pm

Unless one of the British citizen family members moves 'the centre of their life' to another EU state to bring granny in under the EU Directive, I don't think there is an easy route for you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:38 pm

There is a possible way, but it is not easy nor is it guaranteed.

If grandmother has a relative in Europe who is an EEA national - or a UK national who is willing to move their 'centre of life' to another Union memberstate then grandmother may be able to join them there.

Note if someone volunteers to go to Europe from UK to do this then their whole immediate family has to go with them too, not just the volunteer.
Preferred valid relatives can be child or grandchild so that grandmother is a direct family member of the sponsor.

This is called the Surinder Singh route.

Having established yourselves in Europe and established dependency by virtue of the EEA national/Brit working and grandmother residing together, you may after some months 'decide' to return to UK.

In this way, grandmother returns to UK on the EU migration route because the BC has become a proxy EEA national.

Ofcourse there may be issues of disruption, health care, acclimatisaton and language - but surely no worse that present conditions.
There are Anglophile and English-speaking countries in Europe; eg Eire, Malta (possibly Cyprus) spring to mind.

You can get up to speed on Surinder Singh here:
https://www.freemovement.org.uk/surinde ... ion-route/

Note this route may or may not exist in its present or any form after Brexit. But faced with the stark alternative of no UK visa then maybe its worth at least looking into.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

GiaLia
Newly Registered

Post by GiaLia » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:37 pm

Thanks for all the information!It's quite a lot to take in. I'll have to sit down with the family so that we can make this serious decision. I think I did hear about the SS route but I've heard that this loophole has been tightened since, and I would hate for one of us to uproot if our chances at success are just as slim.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:57 pm

GiaLia wrote:Thanks for all the information!It's quite a lot to take in. I'll have to sit down with the family so that we can make this serious decision. I think I did hear about the SS route but I've heard that this loophole has been tightened since, and I would hate for one of us to uproot if our chances at success are just as slim.
Nope, not a loophole. Its a fundamental part of EEA (not EU) law.
Even if UK leaves EU its unclear if UK will leave EEA so the SS option is likely to stay in some shape or form.

Certainly its a hot potato and its been in the media.

But SS is currently a viable, legal option - and frankly its all you've got to address your circumstances.
That is, unless someone relocates back to home country which may be somewhat more of an upheaval for them.

ADR chances are 0.001% or whatever.
SS - over 80% if you do it right. (Non-scientific figures).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

GiaLia
Newly Registered

Post by GiaLia » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:55 pm

Wow this are higher rates than I expected. I will begin the process of looking around but I think Ireland seems far more viable for myself.
thank you all for taking the time out to answer my question.