ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Older dependent relatives

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lamaha
Newly Registered

Re: Urgent - Mum Under 65 needs permanent assistance

Post by lamaha » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:56 am

Alvyn wrote:

It is quite unsettling that I am not able to help my mum in this situation and would like to bring my mum as a dependant here (I am British Citizen). However, I would like to know the chances of such application and would like to seek professional advice to help me with this application. Can anyone please help and advice on my chances and appropriate professional immigration advisers to speak to?
I don't have any advice but I spoke to someone on this website and they gave me some excellent information that I didn't know before, and for free:
http://www.ukvisaandimmigration.co.uk/what-we-do.php

Good Luck!

shiqbal202
Newly Registered

Post by shiqbal202 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:06 pm

Dear all
my mother is alone in pakistan
if she arrived in uk on visit visa and then she apply for long staying
is it possible
my father was murdered (dead) and i am afraid as well that some one come in our house where my mother staying they can be create trouble for her as well that why we left city and living in 300 miles away
so is it possible that she came in uk on visit visa and then apply for other required visa for long stay
i know she needs entry clearance from pakistan but she can take entry clearnace for visit visa

KateDaring52
Newly Registered

Post by KateDaring52 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:53 am

Well, great work! You have helped me to improve my knowledge about this field. Thank you so much for sharing.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:04 am

shiqbal202 wrote:Dear all
my mother is alone in pakistan
if she arrived in uk on visit visa and then she apply for long staying
is it possible
my father was murdered (dead) and i am afraid as well that some one come in our house where my mother staying they can be create trouble for her as well that why we left city and living in 300 miles away
so is it possible that she came in uk on visit visa and then apply for other required visa for long stay
i know she needs entry clearance from pakistan but she can take entry clearnace for visit visa
Tricky.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

sackcy
Newly Registered

ILR for widowed mother while she is visiting us in uk

Post by sackcy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:04 pm

Is it possible for my widowed mother who is almost 65 now (as according to the ho law, we can apply for her ilr) to apply for ILR while staying in UK? She is visiting us on her visit visa (3rd time visited us) and one of my solicitor friend informed me it would be possible for her to apply now while she is here on the visit visa.
Our details: Me as British Citizen and wife as spousal visa.

Also if she is ok/eligible to apply now, or maybe from home land, does she also need to pass the LIFE IN THE UK TEST? And its it from home land, where would this test be taken? Do we need to contact the British Embassy for the test details?

Will wait for your responses/replies.

Regards

timmoo
Newly Registered

Parents who are financially not dependant

Post by timmoo » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:05 am

I find it quite strange that the rules give provision for parents settlement only if parents are financially dependant upon children settled in UK.

In our case, we are 2 siblings: me and my sister. Both are settled in UK with our families and are professionals. Our parents are both retired in our native country and are financially sound - means they don't need us to support them financially as such. However, as we are their only 2 children, the financial dependence is not the only thing, rather there is an emotional relationship between parents and children and after their retirement now, they want to live with us in UK.

Is there any provision in any immigration category for them to settle with us in UK?

(Additional info: As they were both working before retiring, so for past about 10+ years, they had been visiting us in UK on holidays, about 2 months every year, on visit visa. And even now hold a 5 year visit visa)

Cisadi

Post by Cisadi » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:04 pm

I second the above post, we also are in a similar situation. Any expert opinion ?

Andy83
Newly Registered

Post by Andy83 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:10 pm

I'm the new to here,and willing to hear any more information :D

Charming
Newly Registered

Bringing Grand Children to the UK

Post by Charming » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:32 am

Hi,

Both my wife and I are resident in the UK (UK citizens). Could someone advise on what conditions and how can we bring in our 2 grandchildren (15 and 6 years) to live with us in the UK? Many thanks in advance.

cyh1980
Newly Registered

Can I apply for my parents to come over?

Post by cyh1980 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:25 pm

My parents are both just over 65, living in china, having only 2 children, me and my sister, both settled in UK as UK citizens now. I am just wondering what are the chances of them getting a dependant visa to come here permanantly? They are both retired, but have pension (not massive). Is there any possiblity?

Hope anyone can help, or have similar success stories, or can recommend any solicitors that are good at these cases?

fabio11

Post by fabio11 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi guys,
My father si visiting me on multiple entry visit visa. I have indefinite leave to remain here. In our home country my father
1- has no finanical connections in terms of property or bank balance.
2- He is financially dependent on me.
3- My mothers has paased away and my siblings are married and not able to keep him with them.

I want to apply for his permanent stay visa while he is here on visit visa.
Can someone please guide me about the procedure, fees, time it takes to get an answer (as he can only stay 6 months here on visit visa) and where to apply?

Many thanks in advance.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:45 pm

Some changes were tabled in the parliament yesterday. Read points 18-24 of the Statement of changes in immigration rules (HC 1511).

The most significant one:
From 31-Oct. - parent or grandparent who is divorced, widowed, single or separated aged 65 years or over - will be eligible.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

fabio11

Post by fabio11 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:33 pm

Dear Moderator,
thanks for sharing this information. Can someone please enlighten me whether it is possible to apply for ILR for my single over 65yo father who is currently visiting me on visit visa?
If yes then which form to fill?
thanks in advance.

Andy83
Newly Registered

Post by Andy83 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:21 pm

I think that's not allowed

eager2learn

Post by eager2learn » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:49 pm

my father is over 65 while my mother is below, they are financially indepenent however I do send them some money every 3 months. I have two sisters, one live abroad and the other live around 200 miles away from my parents. I am the only son .

If one of them fell sick there is none to look after them which is why I want them to come over and live with me. My father needs foot operation but not doing it as he cant afford to stay in bed for a few months, as he himself has to do all the shopping etc.

Can anyone tell me what are the chances my parents get ILR. Its not just financial dependence that matters, they also need physical help in different things. The visa fee is very high(around £4500 for both my parents), so I really wish to know what are the chances, if it gets rejected it will be a huge financial loss for me.

ccinuk
Newly Registered

Re: Parents who are financially not dependant

Post by ccinuk » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:54 pm

timmoo wrote:I find it quite strange that the rules give provision for parents settlement only if parents are financially dependant upon children settled in UK.

In our case, we are 2 siblings: me and my sister. Both are settled in UK with our families and are professionals. Our parents are both retired in our native country and are financially sound - means they don't need us to support them financially as such. However, as we are their only 2 children, the financial dependence is not the only thing, rather there is an emotional relationship between parents and children and after their retirement now, they want to live with us in UK.

Is there any provision in any immigration category for them to settle with us in UK?

(Additional info: As they were both working before retiring, so for past about 10+ years, they had been visiting us in UK on holidays, about 2 months every year, on visit visa. And even now hold a 5 year visit visa)
I agree - did anyone ever give you any advice in this matter. I want to bring my parents over too and they are not dependent on me (yet) and I want to have a normal family relationship, as in, have them near me!!! Anyone have advice??

SO if I understand correctly...there is no way for my parents to come and live in the UK from the US if they are not over 65 and dependent on me? Even though they do not need recourse to public funds, etc as in they can afford to buy a home and live and we will support them if/when necessary. SO basically I am being forced to choose to either sacrifice a normal close relationship with my family OR have my husband move to the US and sacrifice his family...this surely can't be right???

Greenie
Respected Guru

Re: Older dependent relatives

Post by Greenie » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:02 pm

..posted in wrong thread
Last edited by Greenie on Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Re: Older dependent relatives

Post by Greenie » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:04 pm

vinny wrote: If they are visiting the UK, then there should also be a change of circumstances if they want to apply for ILR. Else, they may be refused under 322(7) because of 41(i) & (ii).

forzacitizens
Newly Registered

settlement visa

Post by forzacitizens » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:01 pm

hello everyone,

I have been searching the UK border agency website etc, and i am just wondering if anyone knows the process of uk settlement visa application for a dependent relative?

i.e i know the border agency rings the sponsor etc, but does anyone know the process in greater detail?

thank you

timmoo
Newly Registered

Re: Parents who are financially not dependant

Post by timmoo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:30 pm

ccinuk wrote:
timmoo wrote:I find it ......
I agree - did anyone ever give you any advice in this matter. I want to bring my parents over too and they are not dependent on me (yet) and I want to have a normal family relationship, as in, have them near me!!! Anyone have advice??

SO if I understand correctly...there is no way for my parents to come and live in the UK from the US if they are not over 65 and dependent on me? Even though they do not need recourse to public funds, etc as in they can afford to buy a home and live and we will support them if/when necessary. SO basically I am being forced to choose to either sacrifice a normal close relationship with my family OR have my husband move to the US and sacrifice his family...this surely can't be right???
No. I have gone through UKBA website and have also asked many friends (who generally keep close eye on immigration matters) but have not received any advice. Currently, my parents take 5 years multiple entry visa and then stay few months in UK every year. But I would prefer to have a better solution. Please do let me know if you receive any advice/suggestion?

b52

dependent reletives

Post by b52 » Mon May 14, 2012 1:20 am

I have indefinite leave . I want to apply my parent's settlement visa they are over 65. My brother is in UK on tier 1 general. We are two brothers and two sis. One sister is married and lives in islambad- Pakistan. Other sister lives in sialkot-Pakistan with parents. Parents and sister are financially fully dependent on us. My parents are old and they need male presentation to take care of them. Can I sponsor my parents and my sister together on settlement visa.

Kind regards

sam2106

ILR for Elder parents

Post by sam2106 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:44 am

When parents over 65 yrs old apply for indefinite leave on the basis of one of their child who is present and settled in UK..what sort of benefits the get on their ILR:

> is work for them allowed? * esp if one parent is equal to or more than 65 yrs old of age, the other parent is much younger.

> do they have access to a GP like us and free hospital treatment and other NHS prescription charges for medicines will apply the same?

> can they have recourse to public funds like us? e.g job seekers allowance, income support, etc etc

What is exactly allowed and what are exactly excluded for their special ILR?

thanks.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Re: ILR for Elder parents

Post by Greenie » Thu May 31, 2012 12:21 pm

sam2106 wrote:When parents over 65 yrs old apply for indefinite leave on the basis of one of their child who is present and settled in UK..what sort of benefits the get on their ILR:

> is work for them allowed? * esp if one parent is equal to or more than 65 yrs old of age, the other parent is much younger.

> do they have access to a GP like us and free hospital treatment and other NHS prescription charges for medicines will apply the same?

> can they have recourse to public funds like us? e.g job seekers allowance, income support, etc etc

thanks.

Yes work is allowed however reliance on the ability of the relative to work in the UK in order to meet the maintenance requiremenets would not be advisable given that the point is that the relative is wholly or mainly financially dependent on the sponsor

Yes they would have access to the NHS

They do not have access to most benefits as the sponsor is required to sign a maintenance undertaking saying they will be responsible for the family member's maintenance and accomodation whilst they are in the UK. If the relative does claim disallowed benefits then these can be recovered from the sponsor. It is only once the relative been in the UK for 5 years/5 years after the undertaking was signed that full access to benefits is allowed.

See Public funds page 23 and undertakings

sam2106

Re: ILR for Elder parents

Post by sam2106 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:17 pm

Greenie wrote:
sam2106 wrote:When parents over 65 yrs old apply for indefinite leave on the basis of one of their child who is present and settled in UK..what sort of benefits the get on their ILR:

thanks.

Yes work is allowed however reliance on the ability of the relative to work in the UK in order to meet the maintenance requiremenets would not be advisable given that the point is that the relative is wholly or mainly financially dependent on the sponsor

Yes they would have access to the NHS

They do not have access to most benefits as the sponsor is required to sign a maintenance undertaking saying they will be responsible for the family member's maintenance and accomodation whilst they are in the UK. If the relative does claim disallowed benefits then these can be recovered from the sponsor. It is only once the relative been in the UK for 5 years/5 years after the undertaking was signed that full access to benefits is allowed.

See Public funds page 23 and undertakings
Thanks a lot for your answer greenie..

Thats fair enough. Yes I understand sponsor should maintain for their accomodation and living expenses as per the rule for how this sort of ILR application is granted, however it's good to know that they are free to work at their own will, e.g they are not legally prevented from taking employment..e.g a being on a student visa for example, some student are restricted to 20 hours, others 10 hours of employment, etc etc or a tier 2 ( general ) is not free to change employer without doing a a new tier 2 application etc etc..they wont have these sorts of restrictions on their ILR

I now see that NHS is not classed under public funds thanks for that...therefore it's good to know that they will have access to a GP and medicine the same price that I pay and I would not have to buy at exhorbitant private prescription prices or see expensive private doctors in the event they fall ill etc...

Any specific reference you have seen that those public funds restrictions are waived after a period of 5 years? are they not allowed to apply for naturalisation and citizenship after being on their ILR for a period of 1 year like us? thanks

Also,are there any special application form to apply for such ILR for them or is it done on form SET(O)..i am thinking SET(O) is not applicable as they would have to apply at British High Comission back home, also any idea how much this app cost for 2 parents?

If by the time of application , one parent is 65yrs old, the other is 55 years, only 2 children, 1 son in uk, 1 married daughter in Canada, no other close relatives who can financially and emotionally support them, they are totally realiable on me, do you think this situation satisfies all the requirements of rule 317, 318 and 319?

please let me know your thoughts

thanks a lot

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:35 pm

The form for in country applications is set(f ) but if they are applying from outside the UK it is vaf4a as you will see if you follow the links to the various guidance documents and pages on the first page of this thread.

The 5 year limit is explained in the public funds document i provided a link to in my previous thread.

Unless married to a British citizen 5 years residence in the UK with one year being free from immigration time restrictions is required. They can't just apply for citizenship after one year in the UK.

This category is very difficult and it is not possible to comment on whether your family members would meet the requirements on the basis of the information given alone. You should seek advice from a competent immigration solicitor or advisor as making a failed settlement application of this type can put a stop to any future visit visa applications.