ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

pregnant by british boyfriend, with student visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

studentepregnant
Newly Registered

pregnant by british boyfriend, with student visa

Post by studentepregnant » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:45 am

hello,
Im Colombian , my boyfriend is British , I started an English course two months ago and my visa will expire on March 24 next year , I just realized that I 'm pregnant, the baby will be born about March 14 , we have been together for one and a half year, my boyfriend has a job where he earns 22,000 pounds per year
my last visa was charity worker, I returned to my country and apply for my current extendent student visitor visa.
My questions are:
do I have to give notice that I'm pregnant at the embassy?
can i get married here? I
do I have to travel with the baby of only 8 days after birth to my country ?
thanks

Casa

Re: pregnant by british boyfriend, with student visa

Post by Casa » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:34 am

You can marry here and then switch to a FLR(M) spouse visa at any time before your current visa expires.
Alternatively, once you can prove with documented evidence that you have been living together in a relationship 'akin to marriage' for 2 years, you could apply as an Unmarried Partner, again on form FLR(M).
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _04-15.pdf
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

studentepregnant
Newly Registered

Post by studentepregnant » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:02 pm

Casa wrote:You can marry here and then switch to a FLR(M) spouse visa at any time before your current visa expires.
Alternatively, once you can prove with documented evidence that you have been living together in a relationship 'akin to marriage' for 2 years, you could apply as an Unmarried Partner, again on form FLR(M).
thank you for reply, with my visa ¨"student visitor visa" (NO TIER 4) I cant get married. are there other way to switch to FLR (M) and Do I have to give notice of my pregnancy ? How long will it take to get an answer from the home office ? how far in advance I have to make the visa application ?
thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:08 pm

studentepregnant wrote:
Casa wrote:You can marry here and then switch to a FLR(M) spouse visa at any time before your current visa expires.
thank you for reply, with my visa ¨"student visitor visa" (NO TIER 4) I cant get married. are there other way to switch to FLR (M) and Do I have to give notice of my pregnancy ? How long will it take to get an answer from the home office ? how far in advance I have to make the visa application ?
thanks
Apply FLR as unmarried partner when you've lived together for two years and have proof.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:28 pm

Wrong. OP is a Visitor, and cannot switch to spouse in the UK.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:36 pm

Wanderer wrote: Apply FLR as unmarried partner when you've lived together for two years and have proof.
Also wrong. As corrected above, OP is a Visitor and therefore cannot switch to any family or spouse status from within the UK.

Once you have been living together for 2 years, you could apply *in Colombia* (not in the UK) to come here as his unmarried partner. However, I am slightly concerned that you have apparently used an 11-month Visitor route to do that.

Was it all clear from your visitor visa application that you had a UK-based partner? For example, is he meeting the costs of your visit and providing free accommodation? Did you include evidence of that in your student visitor visa application?
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:42 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Wanderer wrote: Apply FLR as unmarried partner when you've lived together for two years and have proof.
Also wrong. As corrected above, OP is a Visitor and therefore cannot switch to any family or spouse status from within the UK.

Once you have been living together for 2 years, you could apply *in Colombia* (not in the UK) to come here as his unmarried partner. However, I am slightly concerned that you have apparently used an 11-month Visitor route to do that.

Was it all clear from your visitor visa application that you had a UK-based partner? For example, is he meeting the costs of your visit and providing free accommodation? Did you include evidence of that in your student visitor visa application?
I missed the fact that the student visa is a Short Term Study visa. However, the length of residence won't be a problem as the following applies;
11 months - if you’re 18 or over and taking an English language course

The OP can marry in the UK but would have to apply for a spouse settlement visa from their home country.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:37 am

sah10406 wrote:

Where did I say they could switch in country?

studentepregnant
Newly Registered

Post by studentepregnant » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:38 am

Thank you for your help. I fear that you have not taken into account the baby, when my visa expires he will have 8 days old and he will be son of a British. Are there any way to apply from here considering the baby's birth?
Thanks

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:46 am

With respect, this is a serious situation and you need proper one-to-one professional immigration advice, not tips from random people online. Speak to your partner about seeking professional advice.

The people who have posted above mean well, but they are mostly amateur online immigration advisers giving their opinion, which is not useful. In the real world they would be prosecuted under OISC for giving unregulated immigration advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:16 am

sah10406 wrote:With respect, this is a serious situation and you need proper one-to-one professional immigration advice, not tips from random people online. Speak to your partner about seeking professional advice.

The people who have posted above mean well, but they are mostly amateur online immigration advisers giving their opinion, which is not useful. In the real world they would be prosecuted under OISC for giving unregulated immigration advice.
Actually sah10406, I don't believe any of the members posting in this thread are 'amateur online immigration advisers'. The forum exists to help members with their immigration matters without charge and is in no way a contravention of the OISC regulations. Do you want the forum to close as a legal advisor who is concerned that you are losing business?
By the way, I'm surprised you missed the fact that the OP is permitted to stay for 11 months - (18 or over and taking an English language course) :?
(Casa, not CR001)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:54 pm

sah10406 wrote:With respect, this is a serious situation and you need proper one-to-one professional immigration advice, not tips from random people online. Speak to your partner about seeking professional advice.

We are mostly people who have been in immigration hell or have been through certain processes personally and often the advice given by such people is more accurate than that given by the jumped-up wannabe solicitors that some OISC members seem to be.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:05 pm

Further to Wanderer's post I believe he will agree (with his 10 years on the forum + 7638 posts) that we frequently see members on here who have been given appalling advice by legal advisers, even OISC registered and often for uncomplicated cases.
(Casa, not CR001)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:29 pm

Casa wrote:Further to Wanderer's post I believe he will agree (with his 10 years on the forum + 7638 posts) that we frequently see members on here who have been given appalling advice by legal advisers, even OISC registered and often for uncomplicated cases.
And to be fair I've come out with a fair amount of drivel as well, hence my sig!

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:21 pm

Never drivel for profit though Wanderer :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:37 pm

Wanderer wrote:Where did I say they could switch in country?
When you said "Apply FLR as unmarried partner..."

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:41 pm

Casa wrote:Do you want the forum to close as a legal advisor who is concerned that you are losing business?
Not at all. I work for a charity, and I am one of those meaning-well amateurs myself.
By the way, I'm surprised you missed the fact that the OP is permitted to stay for 11 months - (18 or over and taking an English language course) :?
No, that's clear from OP's first post. But I did miss the nuance in the rules, you are absolutely right: although the guidance talks about not being about to switch from visitor to unmarried partner, the rules do not say that. They say you must have leave for more than six months, which she does. She can indeed in theory make an FLR application in the UK. However, I would be concerned about her credibility, given that she could appear to have used the visitor rules to live here with her partner, and caseworkers hate that.
Last edited by sah10406 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:52 pm

With your OISC professional knowledge, is there anywhere in the Immigration Rules that says the OP is not permitted to co-habit with her partner while on an 11 month Short Term Study visa and later count this towards the 2 year qualification period for an UPV?
(Casa, not CR001)

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:16 pm

Casa wrote:With your OISC professional knowledge, is there anywhere in the Immigration Rules that says the OP is not permitted to co-habit with her partner while on an 11 month Short Term Study visa and later count this towards the 2 year qualification period for an UPV?
No need for sarcasm. And no, that is not an issue in itself. But someone's general credibility could be, if they previously withheld information that they had a British partner. But that's something for OP and her professional adviser to discuss, and may not even be relevant here.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:23 pm

I wasn't being sarcastic, I was recognising your knowledge of the Immigration Rules as a registered OISC immigration adviser. We don't know of course that the OP didn't declare the existence of a partner if the application required it.
(Casa, not CR001)

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:28 pm

Casa wrote:We don't know of course that the OP didn't declare the existence of a partner if the application required it.
Exactly, hence my cautious wording about that.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:21 pm

Sah I found your comments to not only be rude but also distasteful. Patronising someone by calling them an amateur when they actually moderate this forum and have helped thousands of people is of poor taste. Especially for someone who claims to work for a charity. I myself have seen a number of examples where OISC advisors make errors after all the exam they sit is 50% MCQ based. Everyone makes mistakes even top lawyers and you can by all means point out the mistakes to which is what this forum is about (group work) but you don't need the derogatory undertone. I've looked at your previous posts and I would say you have limited legal knowledge and perhaps even less advice experience going by your manner. I therefore suggest you consider carefully what you type in the future. It's not a wise idea to disrespect moderators on a forum.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:39 pm

E-LTRP.2.1 is what needs to be examined and prima facie the OP would not be prohibited from an In Country application. An in Country switch to FLR(M) should only be prohibited where the applicant is a visitor or has leave for 6 months or less, thus, not applicable in the OP's case.

If the OP were married then an application under Appendix FM may be appropriate, without marriage 2 years cohabitation would be required. Otherwise, an application under exception 1 may be considered.

I agree that the OP should seek legal advice.

Casa was correct with what she originally posted. It was Sha's lack of knowledge of the rules, specifically E-LTRP.2.1 which was the issue.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:04 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Wrong. OP is a Visitor, and cannot switch to spouse in the UK.
It is quite ironic that a person who has given flawed advice is insulting the people who had indeed given correct advise.

Furthermore I fail to understand or comprehend how this individual was able to deduce that the OP was here on visitors visa.

The OP clearly stated that she was here on an extended student visa, which will expire on March 14, which I assume will be in 2016.

The advice of Casa was legally sound in law, and it is unfortunate that this individual had the audacity to challenge it.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:09 pm

I know Obie, the nerve of some people! If he is disrespectful like that again to Casa or any other moderator he will be banned.