ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse name change from old name passport and spouse visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

grollier1956
Newly Registered

Spouse name change from old name passport and spouse visa

Post by grollier1956 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:45 am

Hi All,

This is my first ever topic and I would greatly appreciate your help in this matter, and hope this topic will help others besides myself. I have searched online but I have been not been able to find any help on this topic.

My wife got her spouse visa under her maiden name (her name since childhood) on her current passport. Her current passport and spouse visa are both under her maiden name.

We decided that to avoid confusion we will apply for my wife's passport and her spouse visa in her maiden name and once she is in the UK we can get her name changed at the Pakistan High Commission by getting her new passport made in her new name, which will be in my name (husbands name).

I have not applied for her NI or bank account or any proof of address yet as I want everything to be under her new name.

Please note,
1. Current passport of spouse is in her maiden name.
2. Spouse visa is also in her maiden name (which is on the current passport)
3. Spouse wants to change her name so that her new name is in her husbands name. This will be done by getting her new passport made with the new name.

My query is:
Will her spouse visa (which is in her maiden name) be valid if she gets her name changed (to husbands name) on her new passport?

PS: I know we can do without the name change but it is sentimentally very important to her and myself.

Thanks for all your help.

Moonandstar

Post by Moonandstar » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:48 am

I'm in the exact same situation with my wife.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Or would it be best to change name once citizenship is granted?
Although it will mean changing names on many documents such as driving licence, NHS stuff, bank accounts, bills, etc....

iyanu
Member of Standing
Nigeria

Post by iyanu » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:08 pm

Hello guys, All you need as your evidence for name change is the marriage certificate, nothing more.

Let your spouses just go to the bank or where ever place they need to register and use the husband name(s), once they know it's due to marriage they will only ask for the marriage certificate as a proof and that's it.

As for the passport, I will advice no need for wasting any money just wait till either when the passport is expired or when next you are extending your visa.

Even if you are travelling and you got a ticket in husband name, just give them your marriage certificate as proof or evidence and you will be fine.

grollier1956
Newly Registered

Post by grollier1956 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply but I was hoping you could answer my exact query that getting my wife's new passport made in her new name will not void her spouse visa which is in her maiden name on the current passport which is also on the maiden name.

Thanks.

iyanu
Member of Standing
Nigeria

Post by iyanu » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:14 am

grollier1956 wrote:Hi All,

Thanks for your reply but I was hoping you could answer my exact query that getting my wife's new passport made in her new name will not void her spouse visa which is in her maiden name on the current passport which is also on the maiden name.

Thanks.
Well it will render it void as you cannot have one person with two international passports with different identities(names). You will have to destroy one for the other...any way the reason you will obtain a new passport will be because of a change of name by marriage hence you will need your visa transferred to the new passport.

You can check this UKBA site -To transfer your visa from an expired passport to a new passport

Honestly, I advise that your wife wait till when she want to obtain her Further Leave to remain visa, in my own view it will be easier for you to make the transfer then.

I think she should not rush into getting a new passport unless the passport is due to expire as she can still live with using her marriage certificate to proof a change of name if she needed it for work, banking, NHS, e.t.c.