ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse of British Citizen application..

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

saqibr1

Spouse of British Citizen application..

Post by saqibr1 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:35 am

Hi Everyone
I have a weird situation. Please senior members respond to my question as quickly as possible as I don't have much time for my wife's application.

Actually issue is I have received my British citizenship certificate last week after attending the ceremony. And the route for my citizenship was BRP-ILR and before that it was Tier-1 General. Now the issue is in 3 weeks time my wife's FLR(M) is expiring and I have to apply for her visa extension which is 2nd extension to complete 5 years as a dependent. Now in the new visa application version 12/2016 HO mentioned that I have to send my passport with the application (copy of complete passport in case of posting application) as I am the sponsor for my wife/partner. The confusion for me is will it be British passport or my previous country passport. Also another issue is I did not apply for British passport yet. And I have to send back my ILR BRP to Home Office.

Now can anyone assist me from senior members that what I have to send along with the application as an evidence that I am settled / British citizen and sponsoring my wife for her further leave to remain in UK as my partner. Should I send the original certificate I have received after the ceremony and the copy of my passport from my own country?

Please reply as quickly as possible. If you need any further information the please feel free to ask.

Thanks
Raza.

noajthan

Re: Spouse of British Citizen application..

Post by noajthan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:43 am

Certificate.
Passport (copy) - only helps confirm id.

Suggest don't destroy BRP yet.

Keep scans/ copies of all items submitted.

You could apply in person at PEO.

I typed as quick as I could but struggling on small screen.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

saqibr1

Post by saqibr1 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:55 am

noajthan wrote:Certificate.
Passport (copy) - only helps confirm id.

Keep scans/ copies of all items submitted.

You could apply in person at PEO.

I typed as quick as I could but struggling on small screen.
Noajthan
You are my star and thanks for the quick prompt. Have a very happy and prosperous new year..

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:52 pm

noajthan wrote:Certificate

BRP needs to be returned to the HO. Change brought in about a year ago...

Once you’ve got your certificate of British citizenship, send your biometric residence permit back to the Home Office.

From: https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... p-ceremony

You must send your permit back within 5 working days of either:

going to your citizenship ceremony
getting your certificate of British citizenship

Cut your biometric residence permit (BRP) into 4 pieces and put it in a windowless envelope. Include a note saying you’re returning your permit because you’ve become a citizen. The note needs to include your name, date of birth and the document number (located on the front of the card).

Naturalisation BRP Returns
PO Box 195
Bristol
BS20 1BT

You’ll be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t return your permit within 5 working days.

saqibr1

Post by saqibr1 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:04 pm

physicskate
Thanks for sharing the information. But I have to go for my wife's FLRM and for the current form I have to prove my settlement or British citizenship. Though I do have certificate. I have the scanned BRP as well and intending to send both with the application. What do you suggest will it be sufficient?

Raza.

saqibr1

Post by saqibr1 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:15 pm

This is what the current form suggest:

Your sponsor’s immigration status

Your sponsor’s valid passport, national identity card or travel document, along with any
relevant Biometric Residence Permit, showing their current status in the UK. If you are
applying as the partner of a person present and settled in the UK or person who is in the UK
with refugee leave or humanitarian protection, this should show that he/she is present and
settled in the UK. If you are applying as the child of a person with limited leave as a partner
of a settled person in the UK, then this should show your parent’s current valid limited leave
to enter or remain as a partner.
If you are making your application by post you can send a complete and full copy of your
sponsor’s valid passport, national identity card or travel document and any associated
Biometric Residence Permit. Every page of the passport must be copied including any blank
pages.
If you are applying as the partner of a person present and settled in the UK and you are
unable to provide your partner’s passport or travel document, see Note 10 about other
suitable documents which must be originals. List any such documents below.

Note 10 If you are applying as the partner of a person present and settled in the UK or person
who is in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection and your partner is a British
citizen without a passport, you must provide his/her full birth certificate (showing the parents’
names), accompanied by at least one other formal document as evidence of ordinary residence
in the UK for the last three years. Anyone born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983 will only be
a British citizen by birth if a parent is a British citizen or settled in the UK at the time of birth. In
that case, we will need evidence of the nationality or immigration status of your partner’s parents
at the time of birth for us to be satisfied that he or she is a British citizen.
If you are applying as the partner of a person present and settled in the UK or person who is in
the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection and your partner is a non-British citizen
without a passport, you must provide a Home Office letter or other document showing that he/
she has been granted indefinite leave to enter or remain in the UK, accompanied by at least one
other formal document as evidence of ordinary residence in the UK for the last three years.
The following are examples of formal documents that may be provided as evidence of ordinary
residence for the last three years: notice of income tax coding, driving licence, building society
savings books /bank statements, National Insurance or National Health Service registration
issued by the Department for Work and Pensions or a local health authority.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:19 pm

You can submit just your naturalisation certificate as proof you are BC. Suggest apply in person so you don't sit without your documents for months.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

saqibr1

Post by saqibr1 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:41 pm

CR001 wrote:You can submit just your naturalisation certificate as proof you are BC. Suggest apply in person so you don't sit without your documents for months.

Thanks CR001 and yes I am planning to apply in person instead of By Post.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:44 pm

saqibr1 wrote:physicskate
Thanks for sharing the information. But I have to go for my wife's FLRM and for the current form I have to prove my settlement or British citizenship. Though I do have certificate. I have the scanned BRP as well and intending to send both with the application. What do you suggest will it be sufficient?

Raza.
Despite threat of £1000 fine suggest hold onto BRP so you don't snooker yourself by having no proof of previous ILR status in case of any dispute / query with HO.
if you submit it to HO with wife's application HO can hardly complain.

Other members have reported finding themselves in a bizarre and sorry stalemate by diligently chopping up BRP before another family member's case was determined.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

saqibr1

Post by saqibr1 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:32 am

noajthan wrote:
saqibr1 wrote:physicskate

Raza.
Despite threat of £1000 fine suggest hold onto BRP so you don't snooker yourself by having no proof of previous ILR status in case of any dispute / query with HO.
if you submit it to HO with wife's application HO can hardly complain.

Other members have reported finding themselves in a bizarre and sorry stalemate by diligently chopping up BRP before another family member's case was determined.
Noajthan
Thanks for your valuable suggestion but its bit late now. I have sent my BRP to HO. I will add my citizenship certificate, copy of BRP and Original HO letter mentioning that I have been granted with Settlement. I hope this will be sufficient evidence.

Now I have another question for Children in documents section of the form. I have two kids both are british as they born in UK after my settlement. Now in the form they have mentioned about sending the documents for the kids as follows:

" Children
You must provide an original full birth certificate i.e. one which shows the parents’ names for
all your children. This includes children applying for leave to remain in the UK with you, those
applying separately as a child of a person with limited leave as a partner of a settled person
in the UK or person who is in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection, as well
as children not applying with you and those not subject to immigration control.
If you are applying as the child of a person with limited leave as a partner of a settled person in
the UK or person who is in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection and you are
under the age of 18 (or children who are over 18 and who have already been granted leave in
this category) then you must provide the documents listed below, in addition to those already
listed above:
• Evidence of where you normally live.
• Evidence that your parent plays an active role in your upbringing. This evidence should be
dated within the last 3 months and can include:
▪▪Official correspondence addressed to the child;
▪▪Doctor’s/hospital letters on official headed paper stating the child’s registered address;
▪▪School/nursery letter(s) on headed paper stating the child’s registered address.
If you have dependent children under the age of 18 in the UK (or children who are over 18
and who have already been granted leave in this category as your dependent), you must
provide the documents listed below for each child, in addition to those already listed above,
even if they are not included in the application:
• Passports/travel documents to confirm your child’s immigration, settlement or citizenship
status.
• Biometric residence permit if your child has been issued with one since entering the UK.
FLR(M) Version 12/2016 Page 67 of 81
Evidence of where your child/children normally lives and that you and/or any partner play an
active role in their upbringing. This evidence should be dated within the last 3 months and
can include:
▪▪Official correspondence addressed to the child/children;
▪▪Doctor’s/hospital letters on official headed paper stating the child’s/children’s registered
▪▪School/nursery letter(s) on headed paper stating the child’s/children’s registered address.
▪▪If you have access rights to your child a court document issued by the courts showing
your access rights; and/or evidence from your former partner that you have access
rights.
▪▪Evidence of your and/or any partner’s parental responsibility for the child/children.
▪▪Evidence of where you and/or any partner lives, as the parent of the child/children
▪▪Evidence of anything else you would like us to consider regarding your child’s life, both
in the UK and outside the UK.
"

My question is do I have to send the documents for my kids as well with the application? Where as my both kids are British and they are not applying for visa as a dependent in this application. If yes then what documents I have to send from the above list?

Regards
Raza

saqibr1

Post by saqibr1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:07 am

I have another question for Children in documents section of the form. I have two kids both are british as they born in UK after my settlement. Now in the form they have mentioned about sending the documents for the kids as follows:

" Children
You must provide an original full birth certificate i.e. one which shows the parents’ names for
all your children. This includes children applying for leave to remain in the UK with you, those
applying separately as a child of a person with limited leave as a partner of a settled person
in the UK or person who is in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection, as well
as children not applying with you and those not subject to immigration control.
If you are applying as the child of a person with limited leave as a partner of a settled person in
the UK or person who is in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection and you are
under the age of 18 (or children who are over 18 and who have already been granted leave in
this category) then you must provide the documents listed below, in addition to those already
listed above:
• Evidence of where you normally live.
• Evidence that your parent plays an active role in your upbringing. This evidence should be
dated within the last 3 months and can include:
▪▪Official correspondence addressed to the child;
▪▪Doctor’s/hospital letters on official headed paper stating the child’s registered address;
▪▪School/nursery letter(s) on headed paper stating the child’s registered address.
If you have dependent children under the age of 18 in the UK (or children who are over 18
and who have already been granted leave in this category as your dependent), you must
provide the documents listed below for each child, in addition to those already listed above,
even if they are not included in the application:
• Passports/travel documents to confirm your child’s immigration, settlement or citizenship
status.
• Biometric residence permit if your child has been issued with one since entering the UK.
FLR(M) Version 12/2016 Page 67 of 81
Evidence of where your child/children normally lives and that you and/or any partner play an
active role in their upbringing. This evidence should be dated within the last 3 months and
can include:
▪▪Official correspondence addressed to the child/children;
▪▪Doctor’s/hospital letters on official headed paper stating the child’s/children’s registered
▪▪School/nursery letter(s) on headed paper stating the child’s/children’s registered address.
▪▪If you have access rights to your child a court document issued by the courts showing
your access rights; and/or evidence from your former partner that you have access
rights.
▪▪Evidence of your and/or any partner’s parental responsibility for the child/children.
▪▪Evidence of where you and/or any partner lives, as the parent of the child/children
▪▪Evidence of anything else you would like us to consider regarding your child’s life, both
in the UK and outside the UK.
"

My question is do I have to send the documents for my kids as well with the application? Where as my both kids are British and they are not applying for visa as a dependent in this application. If yes then what documents I have to send from the above list?

Regards
Raza

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:16 am

Only their birth certificates.

The second paragraph does not apply to you/children
listed above:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

saqibr1

Post by saqibr1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks CR001.