ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa and Cash Gifts

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rajauk

Spouse Visa and Cash Gifts

Post by rajauk » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:10 am

Hi,
I am hoping someone can help me with my situation. I have received a substantial cash gift from my in laws which I am going to use to get visa for my wife as I am not earning enough so need to use savings to make up the difference. My wife has also received a substantial gift from her parents which is sitting in her account in Pakistan. Also the money I received is also in an account in Pakistan which I opened when I last went to Pakistan in 2011. Will this be a problem as I am resident of UK?
My question is related to the cash gifts we have received which total £30,000.
What type of evidence will have to provide to prove that they are gifts from my in laws. I know we need to keep the cash in our accounts for 6 months in order to use it but do we need to provide anything else. It says in the guidance that the money must be earned legally but how do we prove that. Apart from getting a letter where they give their undertaking that they have gifted us the money. My in laws are landlords and fairly big ones at that. Lets just say if they sold all their land which they never will in their life it will be worth at least a couple of million pounds so they are quite rich by any standards but what would I need from them to prove to UKBA that their money is legal. The problem is in Pakistan many people like them don't deal with banks much and then money they gave to us came from rent they receive for the land and property they own which they passed to us.
As I can't find answer I would be grateful if someone here could tell me what I will need to do.

Thanks,
Raja[/u]

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Re: Spouse Visa and Cash Gifts

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:08 am

rajauk wrote:I have received a substantial cash gift from my in laws which I am going to use to get visa for my wife as I am not earning enough so need to use savings to make up the difference.
That's fine, in six months time, as that is the mandatory period that cash savings must have been held prior to submitting an application. You should provide your personal bank statements as evidence.

rajauk

Post by rajauk » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:37 am

Hi Lucapooka,
Is that all I'll have to provide. I thought I'll need to provide some type of evidence to prove where the money came from.
Raja

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:05 am

The money is coming from you as you will have been in possession of it for six months.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... ndix-fmse/

rajauk

Post by rajauk » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi again but what about this partwhere it says whose source must be dclared, in the paragraph below. Will my bank statementsvfor the past six months be sufficient to fullfil this. How will i declare the source of where that money came from. A declaration from my inlaws!!!!

(iii) gift of cash savings (whose soruce must be declared) evidenced at paragraph 1(a)(iii), provided that the cash savings have been held by the person or persons at paragraph 1(a)(iii) for at least 6 months prior to the date of application and are under their control;

Regards,
Raja[/u][/b]

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:22 pm

rajauk wrote:I have just completed my reply to unjustified decision to hold my application on not meeting the financial requirement, thought will ask your thoughts. Does it sound too strong or do you think its fine. I am writing from my wife's perspective as she is the one who received the decision.

I am writing in response to the letter I received, dated ******* informing me that my visa application has been put on hold due to my spouse not meeting the minimum income threshold. It seems there has been massive misunderstanding by the ECO in reaching the decision as my spouse does meet the financial requirement according to rules and guidance provided by the UKBA. I will in this letter show you why the decision is wrong and as my spouse does meet the financial requirement and all the required evidence which is already with you, my visa should be issued promptly as that is only reason according to letter I did not receive the visa.

It seems by providing information regarding my husband’s second job. It has confused the ECO in to making the wrong decision.

I was only relying on my husband’s job at ************* and savings to meet the financial requirement. The information regarding my husband’s second job was only included to explain the salary coming in to his bank from *************. It seems in endeavour to give as much information as possible, we may have confused the ECO.

The evidence and information that I provided with my application and is currently with you proves that we do meet the financial requirement.

I feel it’s unfair, immoral and unjust even after meeting all the stringent requirements of UKBA and the effort that it entails, a wrong decision has been taken by the ECO which will result in prolonging our misery and effecting our human rights to family life. We have already waited anxiously for 3 months before we received this unjust and unexplainable decision which has shocked me and will extend our misery.

Firstly even though in my application as well as my husband’s sponsorship letter we made it clear that we were not relying on my husband’s second job at ************ to meet the financial requirement, the ECO used it to reach his decision. We were only relying on my husband’s job at ******** and the savings we have to meet the requirements. As far as we are aware as long as it’s within rules and guidance we can meet the financial requirement with any combination. But for some odd reason in your decision letter in paragraph 4 it states,

“You say in your Appendix 2 that your sponsor is employed with ********* and is paid an annual gross salary of £9314. You state that he is also employed in a second job for less than 6 months prior to the date of application. In respect to your sponsor’s salaried employment in the UK you should provide the following:”

As I had already mentioned in my application as well as my husband’s sponsorship letter we were not relaying on the second job. The ECO’s decision is based on wrong assumption in (a) and (c).

The above that we were not relying on the second job were mentioned at the following in the original application papers:-

1) Appendix 2 (VAF4A November 2012) Financial Requirement Form. Part 5 – Continuation and additional information - Part 5 continued on additional pages 1 of 3 in paragraph 1.
2) In my husband’s sponsorship letter page 3 paragraph 2.

So it seems the ECO missed this vital information as result of which he reached the wrong conclusion.

The other reason I have been refused is cash savings, where it states in the decision letter,

“Your sponsor also cites cash savings to meet the financial requirements of the Rules. However, you have not provided evidence of the required level of savings held continuously by you or your sponsor for the past 6 months”

I completely disagree with the above as we have given you evidence to prove that we had savings that meets but also exceeds the required level.

I want to make it as clear as possible how we meet requirements so will explain in detail how we do and that you already have the evidence and information which proves this.

As mentioned earlier I am relying on my husband’s job at ********* and cash savings to meet the financial requirement which fall under Category A and D.

According to the guidance in Section-FM-1.7 in Section 5 Salaried and non-salaried employment it gives the guidance on how we can meet the financial requirement. So according to given guidance: -

I am able to use my husband’s employment at ********* where he had worked for more than 6 months on a non-salaried basis as he was paid hourly towards meeting the requirement.

On the basis of above and using the formula given, my husband’s 6 month income from ********** was -

In six months to ********* 2013, my husband earned a total of £5025.70 which when divided by 6 months gives an average monthly income of £837.61.
As this is monthly income, it is annualised so the annual income is £837.61x12=£10051.32

£10051.32 is the gross salary that the ECO should have taken in to account rather than the lower figure of £9314 that the ECO assumed according to the guidance.

The evidence required for the above is covered in Section-FM-1.7 Section 5.6. Salaried and non-salaried employment – specified evidence that need to be met.

In my application I supplied all the requested evidence. Which included 6 months wage slips (in fact I sent 12 months of wage slips when only 6 months was required and my P60 for financial year 2012-2013), 6 months of bank statements showing salary being paid in to them as well as letter from my employer confirming my employment. So all the specified evidence requirements were met by us to prove the above income.

As the above income from my husband’s salary alone was not enough to meet the financial requirement of an income of £18,600, we used our saving to meet the requirement as can be done according to guidance.

The shortfall was as follows:

£18600-£10051.32=£8548.68

Therefore according to guidance in Section-FM-1.7 Section 7. Cash savings, the required savings needed to meet the financial requirement is:-

£8548.68x2.5 +16000= £37371.70

So we needed £37,371.70 to meet the financial requirement. As during the 6 month qualifying period the lowest amount of savings we held during this period was £40,012 in my accounts. At the time of application my husband held £45,273 in saving accounts. As all the money held is in Pound sterling that is the exact figure I had. As my husband is in employment according to guidance £45,273 pounds should be counted as the savings.

According to guidance in Section-FM-1.7 Section 7.2 further information, we meet the required evidence to prove the money is ours. This evidence was provided with the original application. It included statements for 6 months from accounts in which the savings are held and my husband in his statement and I in the application confirming that the money is ours and under our control.

Therefore according to the above sums our savings exceed the required level so we meet the financial requirement.

As I have explained above unless I have completely misunderstood the law, rules and guidance I meet the financial requirement. If I don’t, I would request the ECO to explain to me where I have made a mistake in calculating that I meet the financial requirement. If the ECO
still thinks I do not meet the requirement, could the ECO please inform me what other evidence ECO needs to overturn the decision. I have in my opinion provided everything that was requested with my application and fulfilled all the requirements.

Otherwise I would kindly request the ECO to grant me visa so I can join my husband in United Kingdom.

I would also like to inform you that my husband intends to take legal advice and consider his legal options considering we believe we have provided all evidence requested and an unlawful decision was made in putting our application on hold. He also intends to involve his local MP and raise this issue through him to concerned minister if we do not receive a reply in an appropriate time frame.

What do you lot think I have examined the letter from ECO forensically and then replied to them informing him why he is wrong. I intend to email this early next also ask my wife to post one signed copy to high commission.
Regards,
raja
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:27 pm

Seems good, in addition to the appeal you should also send your letter requesting a reconsideration to the Entry Clearance Manager at the appropriate local centre (British High Commission Islamabad?). Although the appeal will initiate a reconsideration request, it may take some time so send both.

I assume you have no dep children (who are not British)?
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

rajauk

Post by rajauk » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:29 pm

D4109125 wrote:Seems good, in addition to the appeal you should also send your letter requesting a reconsideration to the Entry Clearance Manager at the appropriate local centre (British High Commission Islamabad?). Although the appeal will initiate a reconsideration request, it may take some time so send both.

I assume you have no dep children (who are not British)?
No children at the moment, I thought this letter will be enough as my application has not been refused as its been put on hold due to financial requirement. I want to make it clear in my letter that this is not the case and wrong decision was taken by the ECO.

Raja
Last edited by rajauk on Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:31 pm

Sorry my bad, yes a reconsideration to the ECM should suffice.

rajauk

Post by rajauk » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Just thought let everyone whose following my posts here know that Alhumdulillah my wife received her visa today. After I sent the letter above stating there decision was wrong contradicting the decision point by point, they have changed the decision. I did not submit any new evidence.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:47 pm

Congratulations.

Sameena akhtar
Member of Standing

Post by Sameena akhtar » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:52 pm

rajauk wrote:Just thought let everyone whose following my posts here know that Alhumdulillah my wife received her visa today. After I sent the letter above stating there decision was wrong contradicting the decision point by point, they have changed the decision. I did not submit any new evidence.
Congrats!! :)

HELLO786
Member of Standing

Hold

Post by HELLO786 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:05 am

Hi i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice please.
I am also on hold simply due to the fact that the ECO said i did not provide 6 month CONTINUOUS payslips.... (this is because i was for 1 month out of the country on unpaid leave) .... However, not including the one month i was on unpaid leave i did provide 6 month in total payslips and corresponding bank statements.. and my p60 which showed i earned 10,395.00 in this employment so far. So i earn above the requirement.

As that is the only reason the ECO has put my application on hold, i wanted to know if i could write anything specific in a detailed letter like Rajauk to persuade them to change their mind.. Eg a letter from employer confirming i am in still in same employment, showing them a calculation clearly showing that despite that 1 month of unpaid leave i am still earning enough and above? Would that suffice... or worth a try

Or is it pointless ?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Applied online 15/9/15
Biometrics mirpur 17/9/15
Documents confirmation November

rajauk

Re: Hold

Post by rajauk » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:28 am

HELLO786 wrote:Hi i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice please.
I am also on hold simply due to the fact that the ECO said i did not provide 6 month CONTINUOUS payslips.... (this is because i was for 1 month out of the country on unpaid leave) .... However, not including the one month i was on unpaid leave i did provide 6 month in total payslips and corresponding bank statements.. and my p60 which showed i earned 10,395.00 in this employment so far. So i earn above the requirement.

As that is the only reason the ECO has put my application on hold, i wanted to know if i could write anything specific in a detailed letter like Rajauk to persuade them to change their mind.. Eg a letter from employer confirming i am in still in same employment, showing them a calculation clearly showing that despite that 1 month of unpaid leave i am still earning enough and above? Would that suffice... or worth a try

Or is it pointless ?

Thank you
I think it would be a good idea for you to write a letter, explaining clearly your situation and how you meet the financial requirement even without that month. You should explain clearly why you were not paid on that month, and explain even with out that one month you meet the financial requirement. It would also be good idea to get a letter from your employer as well. Hopefully that would change there mind and the visa would be granted.

Raja

HELLO786
Member of Standing

Re: Hold

Post by HELLO786 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:30 am

rajauk wrote:
HELLO786 wrote:Hi i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice please.

Or is it pointless ?

Thank you
I think it would be a good idea for you to write a letter, explaining clearly your situation and how you meet the financial requirement even without that month. You should explain clearly why you were not paid on that month, and explain even with out that one month you meet the financial requirement. It would also be good idea to get a letter from your employer as well. Hopefully that would change there mind and the visa would be granted.

Raja
Thank u raja
Applied online 15/9/15
Biometrics mirpur 17/9/15
Documents confirmation November

iambakedallday
Newly Registered

Post by iambakedallday » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Hi raja, i know its been a while that youve posted this thread
I was just wondering if youve provided only a letter from your inlaws stating that they have given you a cash gift. Aside from that is there any other document that you provided like lets say a deposit slip by the parents. Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:20 pm

iambakedallday wrote:Hi raja, i know its been a while that youve posted this thread
I was just wondering if youve provided only a letter from your inlaws stating that they have given you a cash gift. Aside from that is there any other document that you provided like lets say a deposit slip by the parents. Thanks
Please continue in your existing topic and refrain from digging up old posts from 2012/2013.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.