ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa for US citizen entered under Visa Weaver Program

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

digitalrev

Spouse visa for US citizen entered under Visa Weaver Program

Post by digitalrev » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:31 am

Dear experts and senior member of the forum. Could you please kindly answer my question below:

I am a British citizen married to a US citizen for last four years, Last month my wife entered in the UK under visa waiver program (VWP) and her visitor visa is valid until June 2017, I am planning to apply to change her visa status to a spouse visa. Are VWP visitors are allowed to change their visa status, while they are in the United Kingdom?

Thank you for the help.

KatieWills
Wales

Re: Spouse visa for US citizen entered under Visa Weaver Pro

Post by KatieWills » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:40 am

If your wife is here as a visitor for 6 months then you are unable to switch to a spouse visa from within the UK. Wife would need to return to US and apply from there.

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

"You can apply to extend or switch in any of these routes if you’re eligible, except if you have permission to be in the UK:

as a visitor..."

https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family/eligibility
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:45 am

As you've been advised, your wife will be unable to apply for a Spouse Settlement visa from within the UK while here as a visitor.

Do ensure that she doesn't exceed the maximum 6 month period as this will only complicate future visa applications.

As your wife's sponsor, are you able to meet the minimum earnings level of £18,600 per annum :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

digitalrev

Post by digitalrev » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:13 am

Thank you Casa and KatieWills for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your help.

I can meet the minimum earning requirement. So VWP entries are categorised as visitors visa entry, and therefore she can't switch to spouse visa category while she is in the United Kingdom. right?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:28 am

digitalrev wrote:So VWP entries are categorised as visitors visa entry, and therefore she can't switch to spouse visa category while she is in the United Kingdom. right?
Correct. She will need to return to the US and apply for a spousal visa.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:30 am

Consider the VWP as the issuing on entry of a virtual visitor visa . All the same Regulations apply. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.