ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa Requirements

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dallwright
Newly Registered

Spouse Visa Requirements

Post by dallwright » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:26 pm

My wife and I would like to move to the UK.

We both currently live in the US. I have a British passport, my wife has a US passport.

I am having a hard time trying to determine which application process to use since we both currently live outside the UK. Any advice here would be appreciated.

Also from reading the rules we need to meet a minimum salary/savings requirement. Do I need to have a guaranteed job offer from the UK or can we use our US salaries/savings to qualify?

Thanks,

David

Casa

Re: Spouse Visa Requirements

Post by Casa » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:07 pm

Unless you have £62,500 in savings held in an accessible account for a minimum of 6 months you will need to be able to show that as the sponsor in the 6 month period prior to submitting your wife's Spouse visa application you have been earning the equivalent of £18.600 p.a in the US and have a confirmed job offer in the UK to start within 3 months of arrival, again meeting the £18.600 earning level.

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview

In addition to the £1,196 visa fee your wife will also have to pay the NHS surcharge of £600.

You will also have to submit evidence of adequate accommodation available on your arrival in the UK.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

dallwright
Newly Registered

Post by dallwright » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:44 am

Many thanks for the reply.

Is looks like if we meet the savings requirement we will not need to provide earning details either in the US or the UK.

Do you know if the savings needs to be held in a UK bank or building society?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:44 am

Any bank, in either name, but must be for a minimum of 6 months and HO can ask for source of funds if they suspect it is suspicious or a loan.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:13 am

If you have property to sell in the US, note the following:

7.4.10. Funds held as cash savings by the applicant, their partner or both jointly at the date of
application can be from the proceeds of the sale of property within the period of 6
months prior to the date of application, provided that:
(i) The property was in the form of a dwelling, other building or land.
(ii) The property (or relevant share of the property) was owned by the applicant, their
partner or both jointly at the beginning of the 6 month period prior to the date of
application.
(iii) The funds deposited as cash savings are the net proceeds of the sale, once any
mortgage or loan secured on the property (or relevant share of the property) has
been repaid and once any taxes and professional fees associated with the sale have
been paid.
(iv)If the ownership of the property was shared with a third party, only the proceeds of
the sale of the share of the property owned by the applicant, their partner or both
jointly may be counted.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... rement.pdf
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

dallwright
Newly Registered

401K to meet Spouse Visa Financial Requirements

Post by dallwright » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:52 pm

Has anyone had experience with meeting the Spousal Visa financial saving requirements using a 401k/IRA account?

Not sure if money is in a US account is acceptable and if in a 401k/IRA whether would need to be liquidated to cash.

Thanks,

David

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: 401K to meet Spouse Visa Financial Requirements

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:55 pm

Member on the forum generally ask questions regarding UK visas and would not necessarily know what a 401k/IRA account is or does. You will need to provide more information for anyone to be able to offer advice.

Using savings, these can be held in ANY bank account in either name or joint names and must be liquid and immediately accessible, a fixed deposit type account would not do.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: 401K to meet Spouse Visa Financial Requirements

Post by Wanderer » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:07 pm

CR001 wrote:Member on the forum generally ask questions regarding UK visas and would not necessarily know what a 401k/IRA account is or does. You will need to provide more information for anyone to be able to offer advice.

Using savings, these can be held in ANY bank account in either name or joint names and must be liquid and immediately accessible, a fixed deposit type account would not do.
Think a 401k is a pension account and probably not freely liquidated (though I'm guessing re: last bit)
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....