ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Marriage Visitor Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

straffordboy
Newly Registered

UK Marriage Visitor Visa

Post by straffordboy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:02 am

Dear all,

I would like to pose a question about the application for the above. I get very nervous dealing with UK bureaucracy and always assume the worst outcome.

But let me describe it as a lot of people on here seem to have good knowledge of visas:

I am a British citizen who has lived in Singapore for 7.5 years, and met my partner here 5 years ago. He is a Malaysian who holds PR and is employed here. We have lived together in Singapore (joint tenancy agreements) for 4.5 years, with many visits to family in Ireland/UK, joint finances, families meeting each other (yes, we are fortunate in that our families are open to our relationship).

Last year in November I handed in my resignation here as I felt it was time to move to something different. We are not currently married or in a civil partnership, however I proposed to him in December and we plan to move ahead with it.

A week ago, I received a confirmed job offer in Switzerland and I will be moving there to start work in August after leaving Singapore in June.

At this point, we would like to have a civil partnership performed in London in July. This has been our plan all along but has been brought into action by my moving of countries.

Once we have a civil partnership, my partner will be easily able to join me and reside in Switzerland with me by the end of this year.

Therefore, we will need to organise the ceremony and this means applying for a UK Marriage Visitor Visa as neither of us will be settling in the UK in the foreseeable future.

We have no complications such as refused visas, overstayed visas, anything like that. We have ample funds to pay for it all, and our relationship is obviously verifiably genuine. We would stay for the required residence period of 8 days in London before giving notice and carrying out the formalities.

Can anyone see a way this can go wrong? I see various stories of refused visas and while there is always a clear reason in their accounts, I wonder if there is a problem in my case that a more vigilant mind can think of.

Also, we would fly to the UK in April to do the initial giving notice, leave and return to Singapore right after (we both have jobs to take care of) and then return for the ceremony in July. Are multiple entries allowed on a Marriage Visitor Visa?

What concerns me slightly is that at the time of the ceremony I will be between jobs but while I do have a signed job offer in CH, could there be some wiggle room for the ECO to refuse on the basis that I haven't started the new job yet? (They seem very creative in how they dispense their refusals).

Your wisdom and insights are appreciated, as always.

noajthan

Re: UK Marriage Visitor Visa

Post by noajthan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:48 am

Sounds reasonable.
Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

manci
Respected Guru

Re: UK Marriage Visitor Visa

Post by manci » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:43 am

Note that (from p49 of the visit guidance):

An individual who is coming to the UK to give notice at a register office will need to show that they have made arrangements to do so, for example by providing confirmation of a provisional advance booking to give notice (appointment card or email)

ref:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... s-v5_0.pdf

Visitor visas are normally multiple entry but the ECO can grant single entry visas in certain limited circumstances. To be on the safe side suggest your partner writes a covering letter with his application explaining your plan for 2 separate visits to the UK.