Wanting to bring spouse in the UK through self-employment!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, Administrator, sbrennan

Wanting to bring spouse in the UK through self-employment!

Postby m-a-r1 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:26 am


I'm planning to start my own business. My family will help me financially to start my own business and I will be opening a daycare centre where I will be the director of the company. I have a few questions which I need answers too..

1. I wanted to know will self-employment be sufficient for me to apply for spouse visa to bring my husband to the UK?

2. what documents are required?

3. how much earnings I should have when I start my business?

4. how long do I have to wait to apply for spouse visa after I open my business?

Any feedback would be much appreciated, Thank you in advance :)
Newly Registered
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:12 pm
Location: LONDON

Postby MPH80 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:51 am

You should carefully read Appendix FM-SE as the requirements vary depending on the type of self employment you are undertaking (sole trader/ltd company/partnership).

All the answers you require are in that appendix of the rules.
Respected Guru
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:56 pm
Location: UK

Postby DieselD » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:00 am

Bringing in a spouse is extremely difficult if you don't meet the finacial requirements. You could submit 6 months of earnings, but may be asked for audited accounts or tax returns for the business. This would mean that the business may have to operate for a year to prove you have earned the 18600 pounds per annum minimum requirement.

Research the UKBA website for requirements for self employed earnings and support documents required.
Add your timeline to Skydrive for FLR(M)
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:21 am

Postby qwerty10 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:14 pm

In order to bring your spouse you need to be earning at least £18,600/annum.

As you will be director of a company (taking salary and withdrawing Dividend) so you will be considered as a self employed from the immigration point of view.

Your income will only be considered during your company Tax year. You do not need to have audited accounts if you are exempt from HMRC (i.e. if turnover is less than £5 Million (i think)) but you will need a letter from an accountant who can confirm this.

You need an accountant who is registered with ACCA or other accountant body and preferably have practicing license (this is not required by Homeoffice but Accountancy body do not authorise anyone not holding this to confirm accounts at the level required for Homeoffice). You will need your accountant to prepare your accounts, tax return and confirm your earnings.

You will need to provide your business bank statement, personal bank statement, payslips and dividend vouchers (if dividend withdrawn) for the same period as your tax return (i.e. 12 months). This is a requirement.

This mean that you will have to wait for one year before you can sponsor.

If you are already working and earning more than £18,600 then i will suggest to apply on that job basis as you will have less paper work to provide.

I hope this help.

Newly Registered
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:39 pm

Return to Immigration for family members


  • Related topics
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: farrukh11 and 63 guests