ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 year route to ILR queries

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Jon.Pasha
Newly Registered

10 year route to ILR queries

Post by Jon.Pasha » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi ...

I will be completing my 10 years in January 2017 and I want to apply for ILR via the 10 year long residency route.

Q1. My wife who is currently my dependent has been in this country for just over a year now. Would she be able to apply ILR as well?

Q2. When do I need to take the Life in the UK test? I understand that I will be eligible to apply for ILR 28 days before the 10 year duration is complete.

Q3. What are the documents that I need to submit, considering that I have been on Student Visa, PSW and Tier 2 visa through out this period?

Please advise...

kind regards.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: 10 year route to ILR queries

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:18 pm

Q1. My wife who is currently my dependent has been in this country for just over a year now. Would she be able to apply ILR as well?
No, she doesn't qualify for ILR. She will have to switch to FLR(M) - Spouse Settlement visa - once you are granted ILR based on long residence and this will be a new 5 year route to ILR for her (2 x 2.5 year visas). She will lose the time she has already spent in the UK.
Q2. When do I need to take the Life in the UK test? I understand that I will be eligible to apply for ILR 28 days before the 10 year duration is complete.
You can take LIUK at any time but it must be at least 7 days before you apply, if you apply in person.
Q3. What are the documents that I need to submit, considering that I have been on Student Visa, PSW and Tier 2 visa through out this period
Have you made any effort to read the SET(LR) form and guidance notes? It clearly states what you need to submit, regardless of your different visa categories.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Fonzo
Newly Registered

Post by Fonzo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:57 pm

No, she doesn't qualify for ILR. She will have to switch to FLR(M) - Spouse Settlement visa - once you are granted ILR based on long residence and this will be a new 5 year route to ILR for her (2 x 2.5 year visas). She will lose the time she has already spent in the UK.
Sorry I am very confused with this option does that mean:

1)That the spouse will have to go back to the home country and wait until the main applicant is granted ILR and then make an application outside the UK

OR

2)Does it mean that the spouse is able to switch to FLR(M) at the same time as the main applicant is making his ILR application. Also to make things awkward what happens if the spouse's application is processed before the main applicant's ILR?

Sorry for the complex questions but I wanted to make sure I know my options. Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:05 pm

Fonzo wrote:2)Does it mean that the spouse is able to switch to FLR(M) at the same time as the main applicant is making his ILR application. Also to make things awkward what happens if the spouse's application is processed before the main applicant's ILR?
The spouse cannot apply for FLR(M) unless the other spouse's ILR is granted. The appointment for FLR(M) should be a few hours AFTER the ILR one to avoid this. Also, if ILR is not granted or delayed for further checks, then FLR(M) won't be granted either.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Jon.Pasha
Newly Registered

Post by Jon.Pasha » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:13 pm

Thanks for your response ...

I had not read any notes when i posted the query but later on i did ...

My first visa extension was with the college which was later raided and shut down by HO ... My certification was genuine though and i was granted the leave as well on that basis ... My stay has been legal through out ... Does it matter?

Please advise.

Kind regards.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:41 pm

Wouldn't it make sense to sit tight with your current employer rather than switch, especially if you wish to apply for ILR based on 10 years long residence. What if your new application is refused? You do realise you won't get a refund of the immigration health surcharge, and your wife will have to pay £500 IHS again when switching to FLR(M), and then all the visa fee expenses.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/uk-tie ... 02985.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Jon.Pasha
Newly Registered

Post by Jon.Pasha » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:54 pm

I will have to have an extension anyway either now or 4 months later which is when my current visa expires ... :|