ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

14 Year Continuous Residence ILR Application

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:47 am

Alexelot-
Greenie wrote:was the decision

"a decision to remove by the way of directions under paragraphs 8 to 10A, or 12 to 14, of schedule 2 to the Immigration Act 1971, or section 10 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999"

magga1
Newly Registered

Post by magga1 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:16 am

I have been following this blog for a while and it has given me a lot of insight into what to expect with my own application. My story is listed below.

I came to the UK on 01/01/1998 on a 6 months visitors visa and overstayed. I have been in employment since 1998 and have been in current job for 10 years. I also managed to study and earn 5 seperate professional qualifications in Project Management, IT and Enterprise Architecture. I lost my passport in 2002 and could not locate any documentation to cover 1998/99. I have got a P45 issued in December 2000 for my first job and a reference from my manager at the time. I managed to get my complete medical records which cover the period 1998-2012 and a letter from my current GP. I also have got P60's from 2000-2012 and all my certificates. I also submitted 5 letters to support my application from memebers of my family and my partner who is a British citizen.
My main worry was the missing gap betwwen 1998-99, we resolved to emphasise that they verify that I was resident in the UK in 98-99 using my medical records as I attended appointments and hospital visits during that period in question. My solicitor also requested the caseworker to check their data warehouse for landing cards to verify my date of entry as I lost my passport with the entry stamp.

Application completed with solicitor: 08/05/12
Application received by UKBA: 18/05/12
Acknowledgement letter dated: 21/05/12
Payment: Bankers Draft

fimboz

Indefinite Leave to remain on the basis of 14 years

Post by fimboz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:57 pm

I have got my file back from the home office and needs a bit of clarification to see if I meet the 14 year rule residency. This is the summary report they gave me:

28 February 1998 3 yr student visa granted

27 April 2001 Work permit Employment and leave to reemain granted for 5 yrs
13 July 2004 Levae to remain refused
29 Jan 2009 Asylum claim refused
29 Jan 2009 Served with IS151A removal notice
22 November Further submissions Refused Asylum
11 March 2011 GRANTED DISCRETIONARY LEAVE

I have spend 14 yrs in the country and currently have leave to remain. Does the IS151 issued on 29 Jan 2009 make me ineligible for indefinite leave to remain on the basis of 14 years residence?

Greenie
Respected Guru

Re: Indefinite Leave to remain on the basis of 14 years

Post by Greenie » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:09 pm

fimboz wrote:I have got my file back from the home office and needs a bit of clarification to see if I meet the 14 year rule residency. This is the summary report they gave me:

28 February 1998 3 yr student visa granted

27 April 2001 Work permit Employment and leave to reemain granted for 5 yrs
13 July 2004 Levae to remain refused
29 Jan 2009 Asylum claim refused
29 Jan 2009 Served with IS151A removal notice
22 November Further submissions Refused Asylum
11 March 2011 GRANTED DISCRETIONARY LEAVE

I have spend 14 yrs in the country and currently have leave to remain. Does the IS151 issued on 29 Jan 2009 make me ineligible for indefinite leave to remain on the basis of 14 years residence?
An IS151A stops the clock. See page 14 of the long residence guidance

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:14 pm

14 year long residence settlement to be abolished from 09-Jul-12.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Zebrudaya

Post by Zebrudaya » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:27 am

Dear members wanting 14 years ILR
I am sorry to hear the news that there is a "statement of intention" to scrap 14 years rule next month. This is a rude shock for those affected. However, I suggest that those of you who have been preparing for this route and have an immigration solicitor to discuss this urgent issue with him to examine how you could be helped. Using his legal skill, he could get the intention rescinded or at least allow some time e.g. 2 years before the scrapping takes place. Remember the "intention" is still to be put before the parliament before it comes into being. In other words, it could still be cancelled or modified etc. I advice those affected to also contact their MPs over the issue so that they can ensure that you are treated fairly in this matter. You could also organise the sending of hundreds of signatures to Downing St to explain that you request that the scrapping be postponed out of fairness etc.
Other members comments over this issue are welcomed.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:39 am

Zebrudaya wrote:Dear members wanting 14 years ILR
I am sorry to hear the news that there is a "statement of intention" to scrap 14 years rule next month. This is a rude shock for those affected. However, I suggest that those of you who have been preparing for this route and have an immigration solicitor to discuss this urgent issue with him to examine how you could be helped. Using his legal skill, he could get the intention rescinded or at least allow some time e.g. 2 years before the scrapping takes place. Remember the "intention" is still to be put before the parliament before it comes into being. In other words, it could still be cancelled or modified etc. I advice those affected to also contact their MPs over the issue so that they can ensure that you are treated fairly in this matter. You could also organise the sending of hundreds of signatures to Downing St to explain that you request that the scrapping be postponed out of fairness etc.
Other members comments over this issue are welcomed.
Changes to the immigration rules are not usually debated in parliament. The Home Secretary will lay the statement of changes before parliament at least 21 days before the changes are due to come into force and the changes will then be approved.

If you watched Theresa May's ministerial statement on Monday and the questioned put to her by the 'opposition' you will see that they are all singing a slightly different version of the same tune, apart from a few more left wing labour MPs and the lib Dems who are willing to speak out, there is simply no real opposition to the government's immigration policy

I do not think there is any appetite whatsoever in this current parliament to save the 14 year rule, given that the majority of those who apply under the 14 year rule have been here unlawfully and worked here unlawfully for substantial periods of time.

I appreciate that not everyone who applies under this rule is someone who has overstayed/been here unlawfully all that time, some will just miss out onthe 10 year rule because of a break in their otherwise lawful residence - someone in this situation might have a better chance of arguing that the short notice of the change is unfair, however in these cases. generally the migrant will now have leave to remain so would be expected to continue down that route.

Cappucci
Newly Registered

Post by Cappucci » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:51 pm

All praises and thanks to the Lord! I got my ILR!!
I really have to thank all on this forum who have shared their stories and offered encouragment to others when all seemed bleak. I pray that those still waiting a decision on their case will have good news soon.

Here s my timeline:

Application sent: 22/02/12
Application received by UKBA: 24/02/12
Acknowledgement letter dated: 24/02/12
Account debited: 24/02/12
ILR stamp : 29/05/2012 (Liverpool)
Received by solicitor: 11/06/2012

God bless you all

Cappucci wrote:I have been following this thread with interest over the last year and it’s been an invaluable resource of information and advise. The success stories here have given me hope and the resolve to try and regularize my own stay.

I recently put in my own application for ILR under the 14-year policy via a solicitor…here is my timeline so far

Application sent: 22/02/12
Application received by UKBA: 24/02/12
Acknowledgement letter dated: 24/02/12
Account debited: 24/02/12

Rutile
Newly Registered

Post by Rutile » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:47 am

Hi All,

In desperate need of any help. I notice people talking about a cover letter, as well as good personal history. If anyone sees this in time and can offer some guidance and details as to the sort of information I would need to put in each. I would greatly appreciated it.

Time is of the essence and I need to post it today !!

Many thanks in advance

Kei
Newly Registered

When Can I apply for a British Passport?

Post by Kei » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:41 pm

Thank you so much to everyone that contributes to this board.Its really refreshing to find positive people that are also very supportive and constructive!

Ive been granted ILR under the 14 year rule. Just wanted to ask when can I apply for British citizenship?

Thank you for all your advice and contributions!

thejoker
Newly Registered

Post by thejoker » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:18 pm

I applied under ILR 14 years route two weeks ago. Payment was via cheque.

Unfortunately today I received a letter from my bank informing me that they were unable to pay my cheque to UKBA because it was not signed in accordance with my signature mandate.

This is clearly my fault as I have not realised my signature has changed to the signature I provided to my bank 14 years ago!

How do I contact the UKBA to explain the situation and provide an alternative payment? I can't afford to have the application rejected as 14 year settlement route has now closed and this was my last chance.

And what would be the best method of paying them? I have changed my signature at my bank today to reflect what my current signature is, but I can't afford for this to happen again. Would a bank draft be better?

Thanks.

magga1
Newly Registered

Post by magga1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:16 pm

thejoker wrote:I applied under ILR 14 years route two weeks ago. Payment was via cheque.

Unfortunately today I received a letter from my bank informing me that they were unable to pay my cheque to UKBA because it was not signed in accordance with my signature mandate.

This is clearly my fault as I have not realised my signature has changed to the signature I provided to my bank 14 years ago!

How do I contact the UKBA to explain the situation and provide an alternative payment? I can't afford to have the application rejected as 14 year settlement route has now closed and this was my last chance.

And what would be the best method of paying them? I have changed my signature at my bank today to reflect what my current signature is, but I can't afford for this to happen again. Would a bank draft be better?

Thanks.
Hi a bankers draft will help eliminate some errors when it comes to payment. My solicitor suggested that I use a bankers draft as its as good as its almost a sure thing unless the HO loses the draft.

With regards to contacting UKBA someone with more knowledge of the workings of UKBA will have to step in to assist. I hope everthing works out for you.

diggingdeep

Post by diggingdeep » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:35 pm

I did send same application as yours and use postal orders method. It cost me about £50 to buy £991 worth of postal orders.

The good thing with postal orders is they are as good as cash.

You can call them and tell them you have send postal orders they should receive it next day. And hear what they say.

Then, you can buy postal order send them with cover letter explaining why the payment couldn't go through in the first place. Send to the same address with special delivery. Signed the back of postal orders and put your name. And in your cover letter put your immigration reference number, your passport number and your address.

chorc123

Re: When Can I apply for a British Passport?

Post by chorc123 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:56 pm

Kei wrote:Thank you so much to everyone that contributes to this board.Its really refreshing to find positive people that are also very supportive and constructive!

Ive been granted ILR under the 14 year rule. Just wanted to ask when can I apply for British citizenship?

Thank you for all your advice and contributions!
Hi, I have asked my rep the same question. I was told I can apply after 12 months and asked to waive the 5 years legal resident requirement by discretion ( check UKBA website).
I will definitely try to apply in few months time. As I want to spend more time with my elderly parents who are living alone aboard.

pgmiot

Post by pgmiot » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:35 am

Have you contacted the UKBA? what did they say?
I posted mine on the 7th July, paid by Cheque, so far, havent heard from them yet, money is not taken from my bank account either. I am very worried, hoping nothing worng with the payment.

Like you, this is my last chonce.

thejoker wrote:I applied under ILR 14 years route two weeks ago. Payment was via cheque.

Thanks.

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:00 pm

My partner has submitted his new ILR on 4th July and money was debited on 6th July. Acknowledgement letter received couple of days after.

zagoo2000

Post by zagoo2000 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:06 pm

chorc123 wrote:My partner has submitted his new ILR on 4th July and money was debited on 6th July. Acknowledgement letter received couple of days after.
Wow thats really fast. All the best chorc123. My solicitor sent my application on the 7th July and it was received on the 9th. I haven't received any update from solicitor. Now im wondering if they will send me any correspondence or just sending it straight too my solicitor.

pgmiot

Post by pgmiot » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:10 pm

I suppose he has paid it by Card? Paying by card is always being processed early. Cheque usually takes longer, but this is about time. I just checked my bank account, still , has not been taken yet.
So worried.
chorc123 wrote:My partner has submitted his new ILR on 4th July and money was debited on 6th July. Acknowledgement letter received couple of days after.

pgmiot

Post by pgmiot » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:12 pm

how about the payment? what method did you use to pay the fee?
Are you fully qualified, or still 1 or 2 months short?
zagoo2000 wrote:
Wow thats really fast. All the best chorc123. My solicitor sent my application on the 7th July and it was received on the 9th. I haven't received any update from solicitor. Now im wondering if they will send me any correspondence or just sending it straight too my solicitor.

zagoo2000

Post by zagoo2000 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:18 pm

pgmiot wrote:how about the payment? what method did you use to pay the fee?
I'm fully qualified had my 14 years back in mar 98. I had my visa refused once but i was never given any IS151A form or sent any removal instructions. I had 2 1/2 years gap in the middle than i was given DLR which is expiring feb 2013. My record has been clear since then.

Hmm regarding payment method, im not sure. I think will have to speak to my lawyer regarding that now :-\

pgmiot

Post by pgmiot » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:24 pm

oh, good for you, you have a good chance to get the ILR.
I am 1 and half month short. In a very tricky situation in all counts.
I have a very strong compassionate reason. Fingers crossed they will use discretion.
But , first thing first, hoping the payment will go through smoothly.
zagoo2000 wrote:
pgmiot wrote:how about the payment? what method did you use to pay the fee?
I'm fully qualified had my 14 years back in mar 98. I had my visa refused once but i was never given any IS151A form or sent any removal instructions. I had 2 1/2 years gap in the middle than i was given DLR which is expiring feb 2013. My record has been clear since then.

Hmm regarding payment method, im not sure. I think will have to speak to my lawyer regarding that now :-\

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:42 pm

pgmiot wrote:I suppose he has paid it by Card? Paying by card is always being processed early. Cheque usually takes longer, but this is about time. I just checked my bank account, still , has not been taken yet.
So worried.
Yes, he paid by debit card, I guess it is also because he has already has DL and our MP has chased them twice this year for answer why he hadn't been granted ILR in the first place( 2010) ( However, it is still no reply at all!!!!). I have been granted ILR early this year after 3rd application and it only took over 2 months. The previous solicitor made mistake on 1st application, therefore DL granted, then 2nd application was got ' LOST' at UKBA. Then, the 3rd one finally been granted on Feb this year. It was very very long and complicated story if you have read all our previous posts.
I do hope this one will go through very quickly.

zagoo2000

Post by zagoo2000 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:49 pm

pgmiot wrote:oh, good for you, you have a good chance to get the ILR.
I am 1 and half month short. In a very tricky situation in all counts.
I have a very strong compassionate reason. Fingers crossed they will use discretion.
But , first thing first, hoping the payment will go through smoothly.
Thanks pgmiot for positive response and I wish you all the best. You know, even though my 14 year case was strong but my solicitor still said the same thing that they will use discretion. I wonder will this lead to DLR? even though the application is for ILR.

missmykid
Newly Registered

14yr ilr

Post by missmykid » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:43 pm

sent my application on 6th july and was received by ukba on the 9th.still no aknowledgement letter.anybody else in same situation.bit worried

zagoo2000

Re: 14yr ilr

Post by zagoo2000 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:35 pm

Same here missmykid, sent mine on the 7th july received by 9th july. No acknowledgment :?