ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

14 Year Continuous Residence ILR Application

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

lumera
- thin ice -

Post by lumera » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:20 am

chorc123 wrote:
pgmiot wrote:I suppose he has paid it by Card? Paying by card is always being processed early. Cheque usually takes longer, but this is about time. I just checked my bank account, still , has not been taken yet.
So worried.
chorc123 wrote:My partner has submitted his new ILR on 4th July and money was debited on 6th July. Acknowledgement letter received couple of days after.
Yes, he paid by debit card, I guess it is also because he has already has DL and our MP has chased them twice this year for answer why he hadn't been granted ILR in the first place( 2010) ( However, it is still no reply at all!!!!). I have been granted ILR early this year after 3rd application and it only took over 2 months. The previous solicitor made mistake on 1st application, therefore DL granted, then 2nd application was got ' LOST' at UKBA. Then, the 3rd one finally been granted on Feb this year. It was very very long and complicated story if you have read all our previous posts.
I do hope this one will go through very quickly.
Congratulations Chorc123!

I am indeed happy you got the ILR... I remember your case...surely, it will go through...you guys have passed through a really long road!
Your story will end well like I said sometime last year of the year before!

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:36 am

lumera wrote:
chorc123 wrote:
pgmiot wrote:I suppose he has paid it by Card? Paying by card is always being processed early. Cheque usually takes longer, but this is about time. I just checked my bank account, still , has not been taken yet.
So worried.
chorc123 wrote:My partner has submitted his new ILR on 4th July and money was debited on 6th July. Acknowledgement letter received couple of days after.
Yes, he paid by debit card, I guess it is also because he has already has DL and our MP has chased them twice this year for answer why he hadn't been granted ILR in the first place( 2010) ( However, it is still no reply at all!!!!). I have been granted ILR early this year after 3rd application and it only took over 2 months. The previous solicitor made mistake on 1st application, therefore DL granted, then 2nd application was got ' LOST' at UKBA. Then, the 3rd one finally been granted on Feb this year. It was very very long and complicated story if you have read all our previous posts.
I do hope this one will go through very quickly.
Congratulations Chorc123!

I am indeed happy you got the ILR... I remember your case...surely, it will go through...you guys have passed through a really long road!
Your story will end well like I said sometime last year of the year before!
Hi lumera,
Thank you very much you still remember us and our case.

missmykid
Newly Registered

homeless

Post by missmykid » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:45 pm

sent my app on 6th of july on basis of 14y long residence and right to a family with my partner but now since i have been unemployed fo 3mths my partner has just left me homeless due to the financial strain as she was paying all the bills.since we are not together now how will that affect my app.any ideas how i can survive with no work and homeless.are there any organisations that help pple like me

diggingdeep

Re: homeless

Post by diggingdeep » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:42 pm

missmykid wrote:sent my app on 6th of july on basis of 14y long residence and right to a family with my partner but now since i have been unemployed fo 3mths my partner has just left me homeless due to the financial strain as she was paying all the bills.since we are not together now how will that affect my app.any ideas how i can survive with no work and homeless.are there any organisations that help pple like me
I don't think it will affect too much your application as long as qualified on 14 years rule on the date of your application.

There are many organization dealing with homelessness . It depends where you live. There are also soup Spam where you can get free foods and other charities which provide showers, clothes, shoes etc.

Google words like organisation for homeless, soup Spam for homeless, and shelter for homeless in your area..

missmykid
Newly Registered

Post by missmykid » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:53 am

been to a few charities but unfortunately they cant offer accomodation and council is no go.seems im gona have to buy a tent,friends cant really offer somewhere to sleep because they all have big families and some r not working.how am i gona survive till december at least hopefully i'll have my ukba reply by then.ANY ideas where to sleep welcome

diggingdeep

Post by diggingdeep » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:58 am

I have send you PM with the list of organisations which might be able to help you.

14years

Post by 14years » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:17 pm

Hi All
A month or so ago i sent a freedom of information request to Home Office. I have received their reply today and thought it may be an interest to all of you who have applied under 14 years long residence category.

Below are the questions and answers, I haven't received answer for one of the question which i will mention below. As soon as i received the answer for that i will post it here.

1. How many applications did you receive under 14 years long residence between 01/01/2009 and 01/01/2012?
The UK Border Agency received a total of 8,876 applications under the 14 years long residence category between 1 January 2009 and 1 January 2012.

2. How many of them were successful? How many refused? And how many were rejected?
Of the 8,876 applications referred to above, 3,798 were granted leave; 3,236 were refused and 1,091 were rejected.

3. How many of the refused and rejected applications were successful after an appeal?
Of the 3,236 refused applications referred to above, 237 were successful after an appeal. Of the 1,091 rejected applications the issue of appeal would not arise. Applications can be rejected for a number of reasons (e.g. applied in wrong category, an application form is completed incorrectly, etc) and if individuals subsequently reapply, we would not be able to link their fresh application to the earlier rejection within cost. Consequently, the fresh application would be considered on its on merit.

4. How many of the applicants were deported or removed?
Of the 3,236 refused applications referred to above, 52 were removed.

The one question i haven't received the answer for is that how many of the refused applicant were granted either discretionary or any other leave outside the rules. I will post it here as soon as i received the answer.

egoneo

Post by egoneo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:46 am

hi,

so i need some advice. ive been here for 14 years continuously(since sept 1998) with only two breaks in visa. once in 2003 when my school sent my application in 13 days late and in 2007 i started uni so applied before my visa ran out. they sent the whole application (but not my money) after my visa ran out also asking for a couple more letters from uni and to check a box. i sent it back a few weeks later and was granted student visa. i tried applying for ten years but they said in 2007 it constituted a break. Question is will i be able to apply for 14 years ILR even though it says a majority of peoples stay are illegl?

chorc123

biometrics enrolment

Post by chorc123 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:54 pm

My partner has just received a letter for biometrics enrolment. He is going for it tomorrow.

pgmiot

Re: biometrics enrolment

Post by pgmiot » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi, Chorc123,

I have read your story, unbelievable, sorry for what you have been through, I am sure , everything will work out for you and your family, you deserve it. I am still waiting for the Biometric Letter.

I have a question here, for people who are applying ILR according ro 14 years rule,

1. do we have the right to appeal or ask UKBA to reconsider, if unfortunately being refused or rejected?

2. what is the difference between Appeal and Reconsider?

thanks
chorc123 wrote:My partner has just received a letter for biometrics enrolment. He is going for it tomorrow.

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:13 pm

[quote="pgmiot"]Hi, Chorc123,

I have read your story, unbelievable, sorry for what you have been through, I am sure , everything will work out for you and your family, you deserve it. I am still waiting for the Biometric Letter.

I have a question here, for people who are applying ILR according ro 14 years rule,

1. do we have the right to appeal or ask UKBA to reconsider, if unfortunately being refused or rejected?

thanks

When did you apply for ILR? I applied on the beginning of July. 3 members of my family got legal status,( kids are BC). I do consider my case is dealing with quicker than other people in the forums this time. I think it is because my original ILR were on 2009 but due to previous solictor errors. Anyway, MP has followed my case since then and he has sent at least 2 letters to UKBA this year.
I think if somebody got refused, the UKBA letter should state whether this person got right to appeal or not. I can only suggest that 14 years case applicant should always consult professional legal adviser/solicitor.

pgmiot

Post by pgmiot » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:50 pm

Applied on the 7th, I have just noticed one person--toladaniel, he/she applied on the 4th, got the biometric on the 31st of August. I I will give it few more days.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#700852

Do the MPs really care about us? I mean they are all caring people, who want to make the other's life better. But most people will judge an overstayer with prejudice, no matter what unfortunate past we have had.
chorc123 wrote:
pgmiot wrote:Hi, Chorc123,

thanks

When did you apply for ILR? I applied on the beginning of July. 3 members of my family got legal status,( kids are BC). I do consider my case is dealing with quicker than other people in the forums this time. I think it is because my original ILR were on 2009 but due to previous solictor errors. Anyway, MP has followed my case since then and he has sent at least 2 letters to UKBA this year.
I think if somebody got refused, the UKBA letter should state whether this person got right to appeal or not. I can only suggest that 14 years case applicant should always consult professional legal adviser/solicitor.
Last edited by pgmiot on Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:50 pm

Luckily, my MP is very helpful as we did explain every details to him about what had happened. Maybe you should wait till 6 months from the point of application, then get in touch with your solicitor first before your MP.
pgmiot wrote:Applied on the 7th, I have just noticed one person--toladaniel, he/she applied on the 4th, got the biometric on the 31st of August. I I will give it few more days.

Do the MPs really care about us? I mean they are all caring people, who want to make the other's life better. But most people will see an overstayer with prejudice, no matter what unfortunate past we have had.
chorc123 wrote:

thanks

pgmiot

Post by pgmiot » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:26 pm

thank Chorc123,

I , in fact, did it myself, and in the future, If it is possible, I would still prefer to deal it myself.

the reason I am asking the question about the Appeal and Reconsideration is---- I would like to prepare for the unfortunate events in advance.

chorc123 wrote:Luckily, my MP is very helpful as we did explain every details to him about what had happened. Maybe you should wait till 6 months from the point of application, then get in touch with your solicitor first before your MP.
pgmiot wrote:Applied on the 7th, I have just noticed one person--toladaniel, he/she applied on the 4th, got the biometric on the 31st of August. I I will give it few more days.

Do the MPs really care about us? I mean they are all caring people, who want to make the other's life better. But most people will see an overstayer with prejudice, no matter what unfortunate past we have had.
chorc123 wrote:

thanks

pgmiot

Post by pgmiot » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi, diggingdeep :

I have read almost all your post, I am sorry for the situation you are in at the moment, but I believe you have a greater chance to be granted ILR.

I have also noticed that you are very caring and very knowledgeable in many things, Just wondering if you know the answers to my questions , they are as follow.

thanks

all the best to all of us here

lola56uk

My personal Experience - 14 Year ILR

Post by lola56uk » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:46 pm

[color=darkblue]
Hello All.

First of all , lets me thank everyone for sharing their stories. Its has being a motivation from a "HOPE" point of view.

So let me share my Story.

I have been in the UK since 1985 ( aged 7). I applied for ILR initially in 2001 but it was declined in 2003 because the forms had changed when the HO decided to look at the application.

I submitted a new application in 2003 but it was declined in 2005 based on info provided by my uncle which stated I had left the country when he was extending his Visa. This was a great oversight from the UKBA has they had sufficient proof showing that I was still in the country. I was served with removal papers which were scrapped after appealing and provided evidence showing that Uncle was bitter from divorce from aunty.

Summary
• Detained December 2007 - January 2008.
• With help from MP whilst detained ; I submitted in January 2008 - An Application for ILR on compassionate grounds outside the immigration rules. As of 2012 - Still Awaiting a response.

I have now employed a very good legal representative , who have worked on some very high profile case including reversing the conviction which saw rapper Snoop Dogg bared from the country. (Expensive but worth every penny). They suggested I submit a new application to add pressure to UKBA covering 14 year till November 2007 before I was detained and before the death of the 14 year rule.

If i may use this forum to ensure that any one planning to submit an application to UKBA : Should ensure that their Application is Fully Vetted and Organised to the Highest standard.

Nb : Please note that i summarized my case in a nutshell. I had a drink drive conviction in 2004 but was told this will be disregarded because its more than 5 years old and there was no custodial sentence , it will be disregarded under some rehabilitation rule which I am not too sure of.

Below is an outline of latest UKBA application

• Application with Payment by card posted - 07/07/ 2012
• Confirmation received - 16/07/12
• Sent Life in the UK test , in addition a new payment by cheque with covering letter from bank stating new card was issued as old card had expired - 08/08/12
• Cheque for £991 cashed - 31/08/2012

I will keep you updated on progress . I[size=18] have been reading in different post the right to a private life rule , can some please shed some light on this process. [/size]
[/color][size=12][/size]

diggingdeep

Post by diggingdeep » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:18 am

pgmiot wrote:Hi, diggingdeep :

I have read almost all your post, I am sorry for the situation you are in at the moment, but I believe you have a greater chance to be granted ILR.

I have also noticed that you are very caring and very knowledgeable in many things, Just wondering if you know the answers to my questions , they are as follow.

thanks

all the best to all of us here
Hello pgmiot,

Thanks.

Appeal is the process of requesting formal change to an official decision. You can appeal/challenged the decision to higher authority tribunal in this case on the ground of the decision was not applied correctly according to the rules existing at the time, failed to consider evidence that you have provided or incorrect factual finding. In essence you asking the the case to be fully review considering all facts.

Reconsideration on the other hand you are asking the same people or senior caseworker in the same department to review the decision because they might have missed key facts or they were wrong on interpretation and application of the law. In both cases you need to point out clearly where do you think they have got it wrong. They are not compelled to review the decision when you asked for reconsideration by law but they generally do, while if you appeal they are compelled and must review all relevant facts.

Another alternatively to go for Judiciary review where court proceeding judge reviews the lawfulness of a decision or action made. It is a challenge to the way in which a decision has been made and if law has been correctly applied and the right procedures have been followed. Recently example of this is HSMP case where Home office changes the rules and then try to apply them retrospectively. The home office lost the case at Judiciary Review stage.

Immigration decisions attracting right of appeal are defined under section 82(1) of the Nationality and asylum act 2002.

A decision to remove a person from UK under Immigration and asylum act 1999 attracts right of appeal. However a decision to simply refuse to grant to a person who has already overstayed their previous leave does not attract right of appeal to the tribunal.

Therefore whether one is able are able to appeal negative decision from Home office will depend on whether they simply refuse you or refuse and make decision to remove a person.

So Home office they can simply refuse a person and therefore denied right of appeal. But refusal can still be challenged by Judiciary Review.

That is my understanding, other contributions/opinions are welcomed.
Last edited by diggingdeep on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

diggingdeep

Re: My personal Experience - 14 Year ILR

Post by diggingdeep » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:32 pm

lola56uk wrote: Hello All.

First of all , lets me thank everyone for sharing their stories. Its has being a motivation from a "HOPE" point of view.

So let me share my Story.

I have been in the UK since 1985 ( aged 7). I applied for ILR initially in 2001 but it was declined in 2003 because the forms had changed when the HO decided to look at the application.

I submitted a new application in 2003 but it was declined in 2005 based on info provided by my uncle which stated I had left the country when he was extending his Visa. This was a great oversight from the UKBA has they had sufficient proof showing that I was still in the country. I was served with removal papers which were scrapped after appealing and provided evidence showing that Uncle was bitter from divorce from aunty.

Summary
• Detained December 2007 - January 2008.
• With help from MP whilst detained ; I submitted in January 2008 - An Application for ILR on compassionate grounds outside the immigration rules. As of 2012 - Still Awaiting a response.

I have now employed a very good legal representative , who have worked on some very high profile case including reversing the conviction which saw rapper Snoop Dogg bared from the country. (Expensive but worth every penny). They suggested I submit a new application to add pressure to UKBA covering 14 year till November 2007 before I was detained and before the death of the 14 year rule.

If i may use this forum to ensure that any one planning to submit an application to UKBA : Should ensure that their Application is Fully Vetted and Organised to the Highest standard.

Nb : Please note that i summarized my case in a nutshell. I had a drink drive conviction in 2004 but was told this will be disregarded because its more than 5 years old and there was no custodial sentence , it will be disregarded under some rehabilitation rule which I am not too sure of.

Below is an outline of latest UKBA application

• Application with Payment by card posted - 07/07/ 2012
• Confirmation received - 16/07/12
• Sent Life in the UK test , in addition a new payment by cheque with covering letter from bank stating new card was issued as old card had expired - 08/08/12
• Cheque for £991 cashed - 31/08/2012

I will keep you updated on progress . I have been reading in different post the right to a private life rule , can some please shed some light on this process.
So you have already have 2 application if read you post correctly one you submitted on January 2008 on compassionate ground and another on 07/07/2012 both for IRL. Is that right? and you want to submit another one? You have been in UK for 27 years is that correctly? Apart from what you mentioned do you have any other serious criminal convictions?

Is not necessary to submit third application for the same thing. One application is enough you energy should have been directed on choosing competent lawyer and put pressure on Home office plus familiarize yourself with immigration rules.

If a child has been in UK for 10 years they were provision for them to apply for IRL.

On new provision you can through 20 years rule. Read the info about private life below

But i think the best course of action for you is to chase your application already submitted.

You should use your local MP to contact home office on your behalf, writing to Ombudsman complaining about delays for your application and your lawyer writing to home office threaten Judiciary Review if they they continue with delays the first application it has been 4 years.

You can read more here about private and family life. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... am-mig.pdf or below

PRIVATE LIFE
The Immigration Rules will provide a basis on which a person without family life can remain in the UK through long residence and social integration in the UK
Under the new rules, at least 20 years’ continuous residence in the UK, lawfully or unlawfully, will generally be required before a person can apply to start a 10 year route to settlement in the UK on the basis of the Article 8 right to respect for private life. Anything less than 20 years’ continuous residence will generally be insufficient to establish private life to the extent that it would be unlawful to remove the person from the UK. The criminality thresholds set out in the section below will apply.
The Immigration Rules will provide that, for leave to remain on the basis of private life in the UK, the applicant must:
-
have resided continuously in the UK for at least 20 years (discounting any period of imprisonment, in this and other cases); or
-
be under the age of 18 years and have resided continuously in the UK for at least seven years; or
-
be aged 18 years or above but under 25 years and have spent at least half their life residing continuously in the UK; or
-
be aged 18 years or above, have resided continuously in the UK for less than 20 years but have no social, cultural or family ties with their country of origin.

lola56uk

Re: My personal Experience - 14 Year ILR

Post by lola56uk » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:15 am

Yes that s true – I have been in the UK for many many years now. Over 20 years .
I do not have any serious conviction apart for one in 2005 where i was sentenced to 30 hours community work for disturbacnce of peace ( Young and Partied hard :-( )
I have submitted a new application as detailed above for the 14 year continuous residence before deadline and it is currently been processed.
I will speak with my legal representative to add pressure on the UKBA by contacting the Ombudsman regarding my Prior Application (The first one submitted in 2008 application for ILR on compassionate grounds outside the immigration rules.) As it now exceeds 4 years plus since I have submitted the application.
I will also tell them to also look into procedures regarding Judiciary Review against the Home office. (what procedure does this include ? i.e. Judiciary Review )
Thank you for your assistance on this.

diggingdeep

Post by diggingdeep » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:14 am

It is almost impossible to with status on compassionate ground alone.

But is seems to me if the first application was submitted properly through article 8 ground including length of your stay in UK, you age when you came here, the strength of your connection with UK, compassionate ground and if you have no serious criminal records your should have got it by now.

You should discuss all these issue with your Legal representatives. He/she obvious have more knowledge about immigration matter and the facts regarding your case than anybody on this boards.

AT-LONG-LAST
Newly Registered

successful and happy

Post by AT-LONG-LAST » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:33 am

HI ALL

Just thought i should post my timeline

SET O VIA SOLICITOR 14 YEAR RULE
Application sent 19/03/2012
Biometrics invitation dated 10/05/2012
Biometrics letter recieved 21/05/2012
Biometrics enrolled 22/o5/2012
BRP DATED 06/09/2012
BRP AND ALL DOCUMENTS RECIEVED 10/09/2012

Goodluck to everyone still waiting,just pray to GOD and have faith

diggingdeep

Post by diggingdeep » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:07 am

Many congratulations AT-LONG-LAST.

AT-LONG-LAST
Newly Registered

Post by AT-LONG-LAST » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:34 pm

diggingdeep wrote:Many congratulations AT-LONG-LAST.
Thanks Diggingdeep, it was a long and stressful wait, it took exactly 25 weeks.

NOG
Member of Standing

Post by NOG » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:37 pm

@AT-LONG-LAST, many congratulations.

zagoo2000

Post by zagoo2000 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:05 pm

NOG wrote:@AT-LONG-LAST, many congratulations.
Congratulations AT-LONG-LAST.

I sent my 14 year ILR application on the 7th July 2012. I have only received acknowledgement. UKBA promises to complete 99% of cases within 90 days. I have got just about 3 weeks and few days left.

-should i be worried? :(
-are all the ILR 14 year applications being processed via Biometrics?