ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 Years starts running from date of visa validity?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

corollary
Newly Registered

5 Years starts running from date of visa validity?

Post by corollary » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:05 pm

Hi There

I apologise if this has already been asked, but I can't seem to find a relative post.

I have heard from an agent that there is a new rule that if you are on a 5 year ancestral visa (although I presume it applies for other types perhaps), so long as you entered the UK within the first 90 days of your visa starting, the 5 year period that you can use as your "eligible to apply for ILR will be when your visa expires, and not 5 years after you entered the country.

e.g My visa runs from 24/10/2007 to 23/10/2012, and I entered the country on 19 Nov 2007.

According to this new rule, I am therefore eligible to apply for my ILR appointment from 23-oct-2012 - 28 days, i.e. anytime from 25 Sep to 23 Oct (when my visa expires).

Can anyone confirm if this is correct, and better yet, does anyone have a link to where I could see this rule on the UKBA website, or somewhere official to put my mind at rest :)

Thanks.

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Re: 5 Years starts running from date of visa validity?

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:17 pm

corollary wrote:Hi There

I apologise if this has already been asked, but I can't seem to find a relative post.

I have heard from an agent that there is a new rule that if you are on a 5 year ancestral visa (although I presume it applies for other types perhaps), so long as you entered the UK within the first 90 days of your visa starting, the 5 year period that you can use as your "eligible to apply for ILR will be when your visa expires, and not 5 years after you entered the country.

e.g My visa runs from 24/10/2007 to 23/10/2012, and I entered the country on 19 Nov 2007.

According to this new rule, I am therefore eligible to apply for my ILR appointment from 23-oct-2012 - 28 days, i.e. anytime from 25 Sep to 23 Oct (when my visa expires).

Can anyone confirm if this is correct, and better yet, does anyone have a link to where I could see this rule on the UKBA website, or somewhere official to put my mind at rest :)

Thanks.
Before someone else here says this to you... why don't you ask that agent to show you where that info is. Presumably you paid for the priviledge of the information or his knowledge...
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

corollary
Newly Registered

Post by corollary » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:13 pm

I didn't end up using the agent's services, decided to go on my own, and hence would rather find the legislation that says this myself. I've seen numerous posts about it, but call me paranoid, I'd like to find it in writing on a government website :)

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:45 pm

You can find it on page 4 under the URL below:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

coolbuddy

Post by coolbuddy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:54 pm

I have seen many posts here about their ILR Success stories in which they entered UK after 28 days period (e.g. visa granted on 20 Aug 2007 and entered in UK on 26 Sept 2007) and then switched from HSMP to Tier-1 (G) within UK and applied for the ILR at premium service on the day which is.... visa expiry date - 28 days.

On the other hand, if you entered UK after many weeks, up to three months, even then you can get ILR which is of course discrimination of case worker and most of the time they use it positively.

Senior and other members can you please help us in understanding this. Thank you.

coolbuddy

Post by coolbuddy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks cs95tdg, the document you shared is very useful clarified the point.