ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

applying for ILR - previous passport lost

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

smas4er

applying for ILR - previous passport lost

Post by smas4er » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:20 am

Hi

I will be in UK for 10 years in Sept 2012. I came here on student visa in 2002 and got my degree. I have lost my first passport on which my student visa was granted. I have the passports after that and they have visa stamps. Im currently on Tier 1 Visa and I had informed home office when making that application that I have lost my previous passport. How is the best way to go about it. I have never been out of visa and alwasy been here legally. I also did not used to pay bills when I initially came here. I think I have bank statments possibly starting from jan 2003, so I could supply those and university letter. Do you think that would be enough? Will appreciate help.

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:22 am

I would suggest your get your SAR from home office. That would contain the history of all your visas.

smas4er

Post by smas4er » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi

Yes I am doing that today, sending a letter to them to request that. Do you know how long that normally takes to come back.
As they would have all the immigration history, does that then mean that I dont have to supply any documentation for that period?

regards

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:54 pm

I think they take few weeks to send the SAR. I would suggest you still provide all other passports you have.

smas4er

Post by smas4er » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:03 pm

Thanks.
Yes I will be providing all the passports I have. My main concern is for the period for which I lost the passport. What could I provide as evidence, as I said above I did not used to pay bills at that time. Would a letter from university that I have dated during those days and my degree be sufficient or need some thing else? Or should I not provide anything as home office might have my immigration info on their file?

quantum1
Member of Standing

Post by quantum1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:34 pm

You will need to check your SAR, but also see if you can get a letter from your school about that time. I do not think a degree is sufficient. NI contributions would help your case as well. Your SAR might not have details of your first leave, if it was granted as leave to enter. My SAR had no details on me at all on the first four years I was here and only had something after my first in country application.

The link below is guidance for caseworkers on what to consider to determine if a person was here. It is for naturalisation but it will give insights at what type of documents might be looked at

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

smas4er

Post by smas4er » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:32 pm

Thanks.
When I came, I did not take any job for the first year, hence dont have the NI docs. no utility bills and all that sort of documentation.
I have been searching through my documents, and I have bank statements starting from December 2002, will that not work?
Also I was granted student visa for 4 years in August 2002. My old passport (which is lost) expired in Agust 2004. I then got my remaining visa transferred on to new passport, so that was stamped from Nov 04 to sept 06 and so on. So the main area is August 2002 to Nov 04 which I need some evidence for. As said I do have bank statements starting Dec 2002. I could get a letter from my uni stating that I was a full time student from sept 2002 until i finished. Do you think that would suffice, what else could I provide? will appreciate help.
Regards

Loveislovely
- thin ice -

Re: applying for ILR - previous passport lost

Post by Loveislovely » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:44 pm

smas4er wrote:Hi

I will be in UK for 10 years in Sept 2012. I came here on student visa in 2002 and got my degree. I have lost my first passport on which my student visa was granted. I have the passports after that and they have visa stamps. Im currently on Tier 1 Visa and I had informed home office when making that application that I have lost my previous passport. How is the best way to go about it. I have never been out of visa and alwasy been here legally. I also did not used to pay bills when I initially came here. I think I have bank statments possibly starting from jan 2003, so I could supply those and university letter. Do you think that would be enough? Will appreciate help.
Hi Smas4er,

Home requested anyone who lost their previous passports, to enclose all HO letters and GP medical card when submiting their application. Good luck.
All for one, one for all..... Peace

smas4er

Post by smas4er » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:38 am

Hi

I would only get a home office letter if I had applied for something. So the first 2 years i dont have anything from them. Can some one please help me.

smas4er

Post by smas4er » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi Guys

Could some one please help me out and guide on this.

Regards

smas4er

Post by smas4er » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:18 am

Hi
I thought I would just put an update here as might help some one.
I have consulted a solicitor regarding this issue. I have been advised that home office has all records of when some was granted visa and when they entered. So the info I will provide they will double check that against their systems. As for me providing info for the 2 years for which I had lost my passport, I will provide a letter from university, my degree, the bank statements that I have starting from December 2002, and some payslips which I got when I worked during summer of 2003. I was advised this would be good enough info to provide and everything should be ok, also to put this down in covering letter as well.
Thanks

AshMad

Post by AshMad » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi,

You also quote in your SAR that you do not have any evidence of your absences from UK for the period in question because of your lost passport.
They will provide you with the Landing card copy when you first entered UK along with the entry dates to UK for the period in question.

Regards
Ash

RajuT

Did you get your ILR

Post by RajuT » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:33 pm

hI,

i am also in the same situation, i have asked for SAR.