ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

cohabitation documents for spouse

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

moving to uk

cohabitation documents for spouse

Post by moving to uk » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:56 am

Hi all,

Me and wife are applying for ILR this May.
I would like some clarifications and some experiences who have been granted ILR's recently with the mentioned docs.

Joint names

1)Council Tax
2)Bank Stmnts
3)Tenancy agreement

My question is
Are these docs just sufficient?
My wife do not have her name on utility bills.
I'll try to arrange a letter from GP stating that we both have been living in the same address for the past 3 years.
That will be four address proofs in joint names .Will these suffice?

Spouse's separate named docs

1)Vodafone mobile bills from Dec 2013(that's when contract starts).These bills are online.
If I am correct, do i need to get original bills as proof from vodafone ? OR online printout suffice(her account is paperless.).
2) Dvla license got in june 2014
3)Some NHS letters not sure if it covers the whole 2 year period.

If the above three documents (with spouse name only) are spaced out in 2 years ,will these be sufficient?

Hoping for response soon!!
Thanks everyone

moving to uk

Re: cohabitation documents for spouse

Post by moving to uk » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:19 pm

Hi Guys

Could someone who knows or has been through my situation please share their thoughts regarding documents to provide for co-habitation?
I have gone through several posts and most of them seem to have loads of documents to provide...unlike me who has just the below.

Recapping my situation:
We are eligible for ILR in May 2015, I want to confirm the documents we are going to provide would be sufficient to prove co-habitation.
Based on 2 year rule since we have been living in the UK since 2010, I need to provide documents from April 2013 onward.

My documents are:
1. 2 x Tenancy Agreements in JOINT names (June 2013-May 2014 and June 2014 - May 2015)
2. 2 x Council Tax statements in JOINT names (April 2013-March 2014 and April 2014 - March 2015)
3. 24 x Bank Statements in JOINT names one for each month starting (April 2013 onwards)
4. 1 x Letter from my GP stating we have been JOINTLY registered with them and have been living at the same address for past 3 years
5. 2 x Driving Theory Pass certificate dated Dec 2013 --- me and spouse
6. 2 x Driving License + Counterpart dated June 2014 --- me and spouse

Obviously, one needs to provide at least 6 letters in joint names from 3 different sources that is "spread out evenly" over 2 years.

I can satisfy the requirement of 6 joint letters from 3 different sources but my questions are:
Q1. Tenancy and Council Tax come once a year. Could they be considered as covering the whole year?
Q2. We have the same set of documents to cover the 2 years (Tenancy/Council Tax/Bank Statements). Is that OK? Has anyone had a successful application with just these documents?

Regards.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:36 pm

The cohab docs can be in joint names or individual names
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

moving to uk

Post by moving to uk » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:46 pm

Thanks CR001 .
I am aware of this , but specifically I want to know that both the years I am showing same proofs
1) Joint names on all :Bank accounts,Council Tax,Tenancy Agreement,letter from GP

Also Tenancy and Council tax are issued yearly once,so i will have proofs in the same month in my case JUN .
Although Bank stmnts are spaced out quarterly.
I want to know is that OK/sufficient ?

Thanks

Malik44

Post by Malik44 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:13 pm

Proof of cohabitation ideally spread over the 2 years, either in joint names or in each name. One joint letter (or one letter in each name) over a 4 month period from 3 different sources spread over the 2 years is the minimum and mandatory requirement.

Example: applicant applying this month need cohabitation documents Jan 2013 to Dec 2014 he can present like that :

For 2013 Year
Jan 2013 Bank Statement Joint or single each
May 2013 NHS letter Joint or single each
Sep 2013 Council Tax Bill Joint /Single
November Bank Statment or Utility Bills
For 2014 Year
Jan 2014 Bank Statement Joint or single each
May 2014 NHS letter Joint or single each
Sep 2014 Council Tax Bill Joint /Single
Dec 2014 Bank Statement or Utility Bills

hope you understand this requirement.

moving to uk

Post by moving to uk » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:45 pm

[quote]
Proof of cohabitation ideally spread over the 2 years, either in joint names or in each name. One joint letter (or one letter in each name) over a 4 month period from 3 different sources spread over the 2 years is the minimum and mandatory requirement.

Example: applicant applying this month need cohabitation documents Jan 2013 to Dec 2014 he can present like that :

For 2013 Year
Jan 2013 Bank Statement Joint or single each
May 2013 NHS letter Joint or single each
Sep 2013 Council Tax Bill Joint /Single
November Bank Statment or Utility Bills
For 2014 Year
Jan 2014 Bank Statement Joint or single each
May 2014 NHS letter Joint or single each
[/quote]

Thank you Malik, yes this explains a lot.

Have a few more questions:
Q1: My Council Tax runs from Apr 2013 thru Mar 2014. Since it is valid for a year can I use it when I do not have other supporting documents to show for that month, as in your example, if I am not able to find other documents to show for Sep 2013 then can I use the joint Council Tax (valid from Apr 2013 - Mar 2014) to fill in for Sep 2013 even though it was issued in April 2013?

Q2: The list of accepted documents mentioned includes "Telephone bills". Does this include mobile phone bills? I understand from several posts here we can use mobile phone bills, just want to make sure I understand clearly.

Regards.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:18 pm

moving to uk. I think you are complicating things more than it is.

It is more simpler than you think and Malik44 has explained it concisely.

You only need one document either in joint name or one in each name every 4 months spread over 2 years from 3 different sources. Thats it. As simple as that.

You DO NOT need a document for every month. Say If you have a document for January 2013, then the next document can be dated in May 2013. You can skip Feb, Mar and April 2013.

The council tax document will count for the month it was issued, not the entire year. If you do not have a document for September 2013, its not important as long as you are submitting documents without being more than 4 months apart.

You can use any documents as cohabitation documents as long as it bears your name and is dated. Even junk mails will be acceptable.

Furthermore, do not submit more documents than is necessary and you want to keep your application as simple as possible to the case worker. The above is the minimum requirement, but personally I would submit one document every quarterly (every 3 months). Submitting a document for every month for the two year period in my opinion is a overkill.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

leavetoremain

Post by leavetoremain » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:58 pm

Hello Friends,

I am on Tier 2 General completing 5 years of continuous residence in the UK on 28-Feb-2014. Please can someone answer the folowing questions: :?:

1. I have been told that the ILR application window opens 28 days prior. So can I book for same day service starting 01-Feb-2014?

2. Can I postpone the scheduled ppointment date at no extra cost?

3. There are no bank statements or any other utility bills on my wife's name. However would council tax bills, NHS Registration card and tenancy agreement which has my wife's name on them suffice as cohabilitation proofs?

Inaa
Newly Registered

Post by Inaa » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:52 pm

Hello guys,

Could I also send the statements of joint bank account, which we have already closed ( Close A/c Reason : to upgrade account need to close existing one).

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:04 pm

Inaa wrote:Hello guys,

Could I also send the statements of joint bank account, which we have already closed ( Close A/c Reason : to upgrade account need to close existing one).

Thanks
This is not a general question and discussion topic and is more than 2 years old. Please continue in your own topic with your questions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.