ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirements- ILR -

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

eddybaloch

English Language Requirements- ILR -

Post by eddybaloch » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:28 pm

Dear fellow members,

I am extremely sorry if this is listed elsewhere as I searched for two days and couldn't find any relevant post from last 6 months.

I am on Tier (2) General Visa and satisfied the English Language in my initial application through UK-equivalent degree taught in English ( Degree from Pakistan ). Since then, I applied successfully applied FLR in 2011 and also in 2013.

Can anyone please advise on whether the following would be sufficient for English Language Requirement for ILR?
-> PBS Calculator showing degree is listed and awarding 10 points
-> Letter from University confirming degree taught in English ( Letter dated 2009 )
-> Original Degree and Transcripts.

Thanks,
Eddy B.

Amber
Mood:

Re: English Language Requirements- ILR -

Post by Amber » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:31 pm

PBS calculator print out showing 20 or more points for qualification and 10 for English Skills and the degree certificate. In addition to LIUK.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

eddybaloch

Post by eddybaloch » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:12 pm

Dear Amber. Thanks very much for your response. Much appreciated.

When I fill PBS Calculator, there is no option for "Degree" i.e no option to award 20 points. It just asks for a university. My university is Lahore University of Management Sciences from where I did my Bachelors. I fill in using Tier 2 (General) as can't find any for ILR so the result is simply 10 points. ( other points include 30 for sponsorship and 20 for salary )

Can you please help?

Thanks,
Eddy B.

eddybaloch

Post by eddybaloch » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:55 am

Dear fellow members.

I have managed to find the answer to above query for benefit of anyone who might be in same boat as me. (Tier 2- General looking through PBS for English Language)

Extract from KOLL Fact Sheet.

"How do I show that I have points for my degree and points for English?
If you want to use the calculator to show that you meet the KOLL requirement, you should access the calculator as a Tier 1 (General) migrant. If your qualification compares to a UK degree it will be awarded at least 20 points, and 10 additional points if it was taught in English,"

asmiali

Post by asmiali » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:50 am

So just to confirm, if your degree is on the PBC and it is awarded 10 points, then all you need is a printout of your PBC calculations.

If this is not correct, please let us know Amber.

eddybaloch

Post by eddybaloch » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:29 am

As far as my knowledge goes based on this post and other research, NO, that's not sufficient.

You need to work out PBS by selecting "TIER 1" . This will give you option to get points for your degree and also for Language.
You need to get at least 20 points for degree and 10 points for English Language.

Like in my case, I did my Bachelors from Lahore University of Management Sciences in Pakistan. I get 0 points for degree and 10 points for English, so I believe that's not enough. I will either get a English Language Assessment from UK NARIC or an approved test.

Hope it helps.

Eddy B.

SSA_18

Post by SSA_18 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:48 pm

Hi,

I seem to be having a problem with this. I sincerely hope someone can clarify this for me.

I am trying to gain points for my wife as a PBS dependent . I am the main applicant and I have a UK Master's degree so will not require PBS calculator validation for English.

When I input Tier 1 (my current status) and then the year of my Tier 1 application (Sep 2009) my wife's Bachelor's degree is not offering any points for her qualification. It only gives 10 Points for English qualification.

As per Amber's comment above it does not offer the 20 points for her Bachelor's degree . The university is quite a reputable one in India and it is on the list. Wondering if the issue was because in the intermediary period (when I applied for the first time - Sep 2009), the Home Office did not award any points for Bachelor's degree ?? Is that the issue ? Can I change the date to her entering the UK date or something ??

eddybaloch

Post by eddybaloch » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:45 am

Hi,

Only God knows what UKBA's policies are. I am in same boat. My degree would not get 20 points. Based on my research, if you don't get 20 points that means your degree is not considered an automatic UK equivalent so your dependent would need UK NARIC English Language Assessment ( don't need a separate equivalency as an assessment is only issued if the degree is considered UK equivalent ). The other option would be a test.

Eddy B.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:36 am

Amber_ wrote:PBS calculator print out showing 20 or more points for qualification and 10 for English Skills and the degree certificate. In addition to LIUK.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

SSA_18

Post by SSA_18 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:24 am

Thank you Amber and Eddy for your response. I think I have figured what the problem might be. I used my tier 1 original application date while filling the PBS calculator ( when I first applied in sep 2009 the ukbia did not offer points for bachelors degree ) - so the PBS in not giving her points for her bachelors degree qualification. When I change the date to her actual tier1 dependent application march 2012 - the same degree qualification is offering 30points .

eddybaloch

Post by eddybaloch » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:03 pm

Dear All,

SSA has mentioned a very interesting point here above. I came to UK in 2009 as well but if I change my initial application date to 2012 or so (all other details correct) in PBS, it gives me 30 points for my degree. Very strange.

Can anyone comment on whether that would be acceptable? I was planning on getting UK NARIC English Language Assessment but it would be great to have extra 50 gbp in my pocket.

Eddy b.

oyztr
Newly Registered

Post by oyztr » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:23 pm

Hi All,

If english language requirement WAS MET on any previous application WHY ON EARTH it needs additional or further evidence in a prospective application, if anything having lived in an english speaking country for all years subsequent to the initial application, linguistic skills would get better/stronger let alone needing more evidence 5 years down the road !

correct me if I am wrong

sv345

Post by sv345 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:30 pm

Hi Amber,

I have same problems as discussed above. I am applying for ILR and have already taken an appointment at PEO.

However, reading degree requirement, I can't see an option to show 20 points for the degree (though I get 10 points for english).

According to you as well as set(O) requirement, I need to show a printout saying 20 points AND 10 points.

Please help

Thanks
SV