ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Qualification in 04/2015 Set(O) form

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

meratier1

English Qualification in 04/2015 Set(O) form

Post by meratier1 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:14 pm

HI Guys,

I've already booked appointment to apply for ILR in late April and today the form has been changed. The options available for English Qualification has been complicated even further. My case is that I came on Tier1 using Bachelor's degree in 2010 along with a letter from my university that my degree was taught in English. My degree is available in PBS calculator as well.

Below are the option which I see in new form and I really don't know what to select from below options?

•An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the
recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or
PhD in the United Kingdom and:
˗UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was
taught or researched in English; or
˗the qualification was taught or researched in the UK
or a majority English speaking country (other than
Canada); OR

What do you guys think? Do I need to give the English test exam now? I shouldn't need to coz I used my degree for Tier1 initial application and then extension.

PS: Earlier form had the option: A degree taught or researched in English
which was applying in my case?

meratier1

Re: English Qualification in 04/2015 Set(O) form

Post by meratier1 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:16 pm

OR can we consider that if degree is found in PBS calculator then it is UK NARIC deemed ?

KASHIF830

Post by KASHIF830 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Hi mate

I think option is still available

or
˗the qualification was taught or researched in the UK
or a majority English speaking country (other than
Canada); OR

so any Bach or Master degree was taught from UK

thanks

alxale

Post by alxale » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:41 pm

Btw there is no longer a PBS calculator for Tier 1 General from today..

nks

Post by nks » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:29 pm

If it's just for proving English language requirement, may be PBS calculator from Tier 2 General could suffice??

meratier1

Post by meratier1 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:34 pm

Hi Mate,
Thanks for your reply but I haven't studied in UK at All. I came to UK on tier1 and then did extension using same degree. Until today it wasn't a problem to fill in form as I had option of degree taught in English option.

nks

Post by nks » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:35 pm

The guidance doesn't seem to have any update in this regard https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -in-the-uk
It says (pg 32), printout from PBS calculator can be accepted, but now, since there isn't any calculator for Tier 1, lets see how will this work out.

meratier1

Post by meratier1 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:55 pm

You are right mate that there hasn't been any update in the guidelines but it's just it has become difficult to decide what to fill up in the form. According to form it looks like if you've not studied in UK then either you need to have the letter from UK NARIC OR You need to do the English B1 test. This wasn't the case before today so it's a big problem for me now.

@Seniors/Moderators: What do you guys think about this scenario as I believe this will impact lot of people like me ?

argus7
Wales

Post by argus7 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:48 pm

Is it because Tier -1 extensions are closed, so they removed it from the points calculator?

So how does a Tier 1 (G) and dependant get the necessary scoring points. Or ignore the PBS

meratier1

Post by meratier1 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:33 pm

Well, looks like at least Tier 1 General people will have to ignore PBS calculator coz they don't get their option.
But main problem here is that if your degree is of outside UK then you need to have the UK Naric letter otherwise you can't fill up an option in the form. I think the best option is to give the B1 test here as I don't even have time which UK Naric requires to send the letter.

Please let me know if anyone thinks otherwise? Any suggestion from experienced seniors?

nks

Post by nks » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:37 pm

meratier1 wrote:You are right mate that there hasn't been any update in the guidelines but it's just it has become difficult to decide what to fill up in the form. According to form it looks like if you've not studied in UK then either you need to have the letter from UK NARIC OR You need to do the English B1 test. This wasn't the case before today so it's a big problem for me now.

@Seniors/Moderators: What do you guys think about this scenario as I believe this will impact lot of people like me ?
I think we need to select "confirmed by UKNARIC" and attach PBS calculator printout of Tier 1 Entrepreneur PBS showing English language points. Note that in process of calculator or one of help links, it says that info is pulled froM NARIC database, hence my inference.

I may be wrong though so feel free to add your thoughts.

alxale

Post by alxale » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:41 pm

Yes perhaps use Tier 1 E , or Tier 2 and just provide the page that shows English qualification

Even in this link, it still says printout of of the calculator is allowed
https://www.gov.uk/english-language

Degrees taught or researched in English
You’ll need to prove your degree was both:
taught or researched in English
confirmed by UK NARIC as the equivalent of a bachelor’s, master’s or PhD degree in the UK

You’ll need your original degree certificate and one of the following:
- a printout from the points-based calculator with the equivalent level of your degree and the level of English
- an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English
- an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada)

meratier1

Post by meratier1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:04 am

Thanks for your replies guys. I understand that the guidance hasn't been changed yet but conscious that it may get changed in coming days in near future. I missed to mention earlier that I had already stored the soft copy of the output of PBS calculator earlier which does show the Tier1 options with all my expected salary etc so may be I should use that with my application or using the most recent one like Tier2 one will be better?

nks

Post by nks » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:15 am

meratier1 wrote:Thanks for your replies guys. I understand that the guidance hasn't been changed yet but conscious that it may get changed in coming days in near future. I missed to mention earlier that I had already stored the soft copy of the output of PBS calculator earlier which does show the Tier1 options with all my expected salary etc so may be I should use that with my application or using the most recent one like Tier2 one will be better?
Not necessarily anything may change and process of providing alternate pbs printout for English language may become norm. Mind it, ukvi gave until November for change of test providers rule so in my opinion, not accepting pbs calculator printout should also go through such a transition period, if at all intention is to change anything in this regard. My 2 pennies of course.

rknshree

Post by rknshree » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:59 am

I have booked premium appointment for Tier 1 general ILR for next week. I am also in the same deliema of what PBS calculator to use for English Language and ILR SET0 & What happens to the fee and form , will i need to pay difference of fee or not.

I emailed SettlementOPS team email last night with these two questions, I got an auto repsonse which does not seem to be helpful in answering fee and form related question . But it had a point about KOLL requirement and a document attached to it .

the document has a section dedicated to Degree Qualifications and it suggests :
UK Naric regularly update the online points based calculator , if you obtained a degree overseas and were awarded 10 points for english language , you can submit evidence from online PBS calculator along with your original degree.
If you want to use the PBS calclulator, you should access the calculator as Tier 2 General migrant, and enter your degree details in the english skills category. If your qualification compares to a UK degree and was taught in English - it willbe awarded 10 points.

Hope this helps,
If any one gets confirmation about fee and form ,please let me know.
My plan is to use the latest form , leave payment page blank, take extra cash/ loaded cards if more fee is demanded.

UpToDate

Post by UpToDate » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:20 am

Hi rknshree,
I have booked for next week as well at Croydon. I booked in March i.e. before changing rule on 6th April. I had confirmed with Home office at Croydon, she told me you don't have to pay the difference for the fee which is already booked before rules changed. I confirmed this two times, so you should be okay if you have booked like me.

Regarding English language: I have saved PBS print summary which I done in March for my dependant , I will carry that as well.

For main applicant I don't know, do we need to PBS calculator summary for points calculation ???

share any info you might have!!

rknshree

Post by rknshree » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:38 am

Just talked to Home office on phone, for english langugae - we can use any other Tier 1 category for PBS calculator, and provide a line in cover letter about Tier 1 General closed on PBS and our use of a different category.

For fee - she confirmed, use latest form but the already paid old fee is still valid.

I was planning to use the PBS calculator for settlement for main applicant , but seems like I will not be able to and Its not really required. You can put everything in your cover letter and refer to guidnace and the points you get .

UpToDate

Post by UpToDate » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:42 am

Ok, great ! thank for sharing these informations, really helpful....my appointment in on Saturday, next week!!

bmaru

Post by bmaru » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:10 am

Hello ,
Do you have direct no for Croydon PEO ? Do you have verfied from UKVI call centre number 0300 123 2253 ?

meratier1

Post by meratier1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:12 am

Thanks for your inputs guys. The above information is great. Also just found one more link which is updated on 04/2015 and it also says that it is for guidance for people who wish to apply ILR and has come to UK earlier on Tier1 General.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 4_2015.pdf

According to this as well, we don't have to worry if our degree is available in PBS calculator and It has been awarded the english points. From that, I conclude that it is applicable to the English & Life in Uk test section as well so we should be fine. We should just carry our proof from PBS calculator that we've been awarded points for qualification and english requirement.

For form and fee, I am also planning to carry the two copies of the payment page, one blank with form (which I'll keep initially) and one with filled details for back up if any questions asked. I'll also use the updated for of 04/2015.

Hope this helps.

rajivmathew
Newly Registered

Post by rajivmathew » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:16 am

Hi Guys,

How about the form SET(o) ? what options to select/tick as far as NARIC goes if education is from outside the UK and degree was taught in english. The option says degree is recognized by UK NARIC and it wants us to tick the option saying UK NARIC confirms that the degree was taught in English. What options to select in this particular section of the form.

Also let me know the list of documents to be submitted as proof.

Thanks,
Rajiv

meratier1

Post by meratier1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:17 am

Also now I come back to my original question that what should we fill up in new form?

Do we all agree that we should select the below two option in new from:

An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the

taught or researched in English;

Please confirm. Thanks.

rknshree

Post by rknshree » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:27 am

I think those are the only options which suit best to our case.
UK NARIC has confirmed - as the degree is ON PBS Calculator and as per guidance, a degree getting 10 points on PBS calcualtor is confirmed and acceepted by UK Naric.

so , select
An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the

taught or researched in English;

Evidence:

1.Original Degree

2. Print out of PBS Calculator showing 10 points for English Skill

meratier1

Post by meratier1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:39 am

Hi rknshree and Uptodate,

Please read the below link as well and see you guys as well read it the way I read. It also seems to confirm our understanding. I posted it in my last post and here it is again.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 4_2015.pdf

ubuntu fan
Newly Registered

Post by ubuntu fan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:02 pm

Guys

I called up the UKVI call centre number at 0300 123 2253 just now.

I was told the following:
* if we have booked our appointment before 6 April 2015 then we can use the old version (10 / 14) and supply documents for English requirements mentioned in that version (PBS print out + original degree)
* if we reschedule the previously booked appt OR book a new one now then we will fall under new rules and will have to comply with new requirements for English language. This "An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and" is not the same as print out from PBS calculator according to the person who advised me.

Did anyone get a similar response?