ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English test and life in the UK test. Please help. ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

zlat.lena
Newly Registered

English test and life in the UK test. Please help. ILR

Post by zlat.lena » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi. Please advise as we are very confused here if we need to do those tests or not.
My husband (Tier 1 at the moment) and I (tier 1 dependent) are applying for ILR next Jan 2014.
My husband never had to proof his English for tier 1 or tier 1 extension before as he got his PhD in the UK. I was never asked to proof it either before. I did ESOL with citizenship in 2008 and got SQA Higher qualification. So we are not sure if either of us needs to do English test for IRL now.
I am sure that my husband has to do Life in the UK ...but what about myself? Do I need to do it if i did that ESOL course before?
I know this is all confusing but please help if you know for sure.
Thanks

shahid2000
Member of Standing

Re: English test and life in the UK test. Please help. ILR

Post by shahid2000 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:20 pm

zlat.lena wrote:Hi. Please advise as we are very confused here if we need to do those tests or not.
My husband (Tier 1 at the moment) and I (tier 1 dependent) are applying for ILR next Jan 2014.
My husband never had to proof his English for tier 1 or tier 1 extension before as he got his PhD in the UK. I was never asked to proof it either before. I did ESOL with citizenship in 2008 and got SQA Higher qualification. So we are not sure if either of us needs to do English test for IRL now.
I am sure that my husband has to do Life in the UK ...but what about myself? Do I need to do it if i did that ESOL course before?
I know this is all confusing but please help if you know for sure.
Thanks
For extensions etc you dont need LIUK but for ILR you do. Check if your ESOL is still valid or not, if it is then you can use it. Your husband will have to take LIUK in any case.

zlat.lena
Newly Registered

Post by zlat.lena » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks very much for that. Do you know if my husband needs english test? or only life in the uk?
thank

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:07 pm

zlat.lena wrote:Do you know if my husband needs english test? or only life in the uk?
Only the LITUK test, as he would have already met the English Language requirement as a Tier 1 Migrant.

zlat.lena
Newly Registered

Post by zlat.lena » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:10 pm

thank you. and myself..if i didn't do esol in 2008 would i need life in the uk and english or just life in the uk?

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:18 pm

It would be best if you read the UKBA guidance: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... nstrating/

Unless I'm mistaken, point 2 below appears to be what you need:

There are 2 ways to demonstrate your knowledge of language and life (KOL) in the UK.

1) If you are an English speaker (see below) and/or you are currently in the UK as a skilled or highly skilled migrant, you must pass the 'Life in the UK test'.
2) If you are not an English speaker and you are not a skilled or highly skilled migrant, you must pass a course in English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) which contains citizenship materials.

zlat.lena
Newly Registered

Post by zlat.lena » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:23 pm

Ok ..so both of us will need life in the uk then and not english!
Thanks very much for your help!!!

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:30 pm

As stated in my previous response your spouse who is a Tier 1 Migrant would already have met the English language requirement when applying for the Tier 1 visa, so only needs to take the LITUK test. What I highlighted here, was what would apply to you as the dependent.

If you the dependent are not a native English language speaker as per the UKBA definition, and don't already have a qualification that is acceptable (ESOL Entry Level 3 or Scottish Intermediate 1), then you (& only you) will need to meet that requirement. Note that if you do 2) then you do not need to take the LITUK test as well.

Please read the information provided under the UKBA link I provided, carefully.

zlat.lena
Newly Registered

Post by zlat.lena » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:56 pm

ok thank you.. i will read it again!

zlat.lena
Newly Registered

Post by zlat.lena » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:01 pm

yes i think i understood correctly
it says You qualify as an English speaker if your English skills are at or above ESOL Entry Level 3 or Scottish Intermediate 1.
And i already have scottish qualification called 'higher' which is above scottish 'intermediate 1' so i have to do life in the uk test! Correct?

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:52 pm

In one of your previous responses you stated " did ESOL with citizenship in 2008" is this still valid? If so, you may not need to do the LITUK test. If not, then yes, from what you have said about your English Qualification then you can just do the LITUK test.

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:53 pm

Also, LIUK is a requirement for Naturalization/citizenship, which you will be eligible for exactly 12 months after your ILR is approved. And the same LIUK certificate can be submitted at that time.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

zlat.lena
Newly Registered

Post by zlat.lena » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:58 pm

yes i did esol with citizenship in 2008 but at a level above intermediate 1 - higher level. ... this what really confuses me :)...but it is still valid
I think if life in the uk needed for citizenship ( in 12 months time) anyway then i better do it now just in case???

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:59 pm

The point I'm trying to make, all be it rather unsuccessfully is, if you have already done a ESOL course which included citizenship material (which is still valid - i.e. has no expiry date) then there is no need for you do take the LITUK test or any further English Language test as it covers both requirements.

Your husband will however need to take the LITUK test.

To avoid going around in circles why don't you state the exact qualification you have and state what institute awarded it. The link I posted in my previous response, even has a list of qualifications (& levels which differ according to the region - England, Wales, NI vs Scotland) under it along with accredited colleges. You can click on the "What are ESOL Entry Level 3 and Scottish Intermediate 1?" & "ESOL and citizenship course" bookmark links under it see what these are. It's quite simple, you just need to read the information posted and then look at the qualification you have to determine whether the course you took is acceptable or not.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... nstrating/

zlat.lena
Newly Registered

Post by zlat.lena » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:47 pm

This is exactly what I have - SQA Higher from Edinburgh Stevenson College 2008.
The thing is in the link you sent they are only talking about lower levels meaning that if you are under or at intermediate 1 you should not do life in the uk and do the course and if you are above - then you should do life in the uk test.
In scotland they have -
1. accsses 2 ( beginner)
2. accsees 3 (preinterm)
3. interm 1 (interm)
4. interm 2 (upper interm)
5. higher (advan)

I am 2 levels above so should really be doing life in the uk i think
As i understand if i didn't have this higher qualification and only did interm 1 then i could show it without life in the uk..but becouse i have higher - i am an 'english speaker' so i am afraid they will say i must do life in the uk.

Do you know what i mean?

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:16 pm

I understand what you mean, about the level of the course you took being higher than what is required for UKBA Immigration purposes. However, to me the key aspect missing is whether the course you took included citizenship material, not the fact that it is a higher level in English Language standards.

If you know that the course didn't contain any citizenship material, then I'd agree you would need to do the LITUK test. End of story.

If you aren't sure & it were me, I'd enquire from the college where you took the test, to find out precisely what it is. Note the UKBA will require them to provide the following letter. If this is something they cannot do because the course you did, didn't cover everything stated, then you have your answer.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... letter.pdf

If on the other hand you don't want to bother with the enquiry, then you can just take the LITUK test and leave it at that. It is ultimately your choice.

zlat.lena
Newly Registered

Post by zlat.lena » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Ok thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:45 pm

Op you are correct. If the esol course is above a certain level (and thus your English is deemed sufficient for you to take the life in the UK test) then you have to take the life in the UK test, you can't rely on an esol course that is above entry level 3 or the Scottish equivalent. It is not about whether you are a native English speaker.

zlat.lena
Newly Registered

Post by zlat.lena » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:02 am

Thanks very much for that!!!

[quote="Greenie"]Op you are correct. If the esol course is above a certain level (and thus your English is deemed sufficient for you to take the life in the UK test) then you have to take the life in the UK test, you can't rely on an esol course that is above entry level 3 or the Scottish equivalent. It is not about whether you are a native English speaker.[/quote]

snowflake007

Post by snowflake007 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:32 pm

Hi all,

I am a british citizen and my wife is going to apply for ILR soon. She had given IELTS academic module for educational purpose which has expired now. Can someone guide as to which is the best and cheapest english exam to give for visa purpose ? there is a whole long list given and it is difficult to decide which one to give.
Thanks

WR1

Post by WR1 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:49 pm

snowflake007 wrote:Hi all,

I am a british citizen and my wife is going to apply for ILR soon. She had given IELTS academic module for educational purpose which has expired now. Can someone guide as to which is the best and cheapest english exam to give for visa purpose ? there is a whole long list given and it is difficult to decide which one to give.
Thanks
Regarding an expired IELTS, it will still be acceptable if it meets one of the following criteria:

1) it has previously been accepted in connection with another immigration application, eg for entry clearance, or further leave to remain, or

2) if it is being presented to the home office for the first time, the qualification was taken in the UK and is on the OFQUAL register, regardless of the issue date of the certificate.

There have been people who have obtained ILR with use of an expired IELTS certificate, so there really shouldn't be a need to take another test.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

s1344678

Post by s1344678 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:00 am

Yes, You do have to pass the Life in the UK test if you wish to apply for ILR or Naturalization as a British citizen. I already posted a thread that is usefull so you can see the resources you may use to pass the test here:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/genera ... l#p1047506

I also discovered another good Life in the UK practice test website here:
http://www.lifeintheuktests.com

I wish you best luck!