ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

GAP in 10 years

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vijayj

GAP in 10 years

Post by vijayj » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:13 pm

Hi

As a part of my joint degree i was out for 368 days for study with valid uk student visa.

This morning i contacted UKBA helpdesk regarding my continue gap of 368 day.

Sweet lady told me after 5 minute hold that it is fine you can apply for 10 year, i just need letter from university to confirm my joint degree arrangement.

When i ask for written confirmation, she mentioned that you can note down the call timing or record this conversation. However it is depend on case worker how he will take your situation.

1. What do you think guys do i have CASE to apply my 10 year ILR? Because most of solicitor told me you are not eligible due to GAP.

2.Does case worker consider study gap as valid reason?

Kmaj007
BANNED

Re: GAP in 10 years

Post by Kmaj007 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:08 pm

Difficult to say, If it was a joint degree arrangement than its valid to stay out as it fulfills your VISA guarantees, But as you don't have that in written, the case worker can get perplexed as how to establish the argument you are stating as valid

vijayj

Post by vijayj » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:40 pm

Not me again wrote:Difficult to say, If it was a joint degree arrangement than its valid to stay out as it fulfills your VISA guarantees, But as you don't have that in written, the case worker can get perplexed as how to establish the argument you are stating as valid
Hi Not me again, Yes i have written letter from University explaning about my joint degree.
But still does it count as valid gap?

Kmaj007
BANNED

Post by Kmaj007 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:02 pm

If you have a letter from University than its somehow like business related absence, as long as you have not violated the terms of residency i-e left the country for more 180 days without any compassionate circumstance, In my opinion you are good to go, just need to add covering letter and its always best to consult a lawyer

vijayj

Post by vijayj » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:14 pm

Not me again wrote:If you have a letter from University than its somehow like business related absence, as long as you have not violated the terms of residency i-e left the country for more 180 days without any compassionate circumstance, In my opinion you are good to go, just need to add covering letter and its always best to consult a lawyer
Thanks Not me again,

I Consult couple of lawyers and some are saying you cannot apply because of gap and some say you may be considered for study gap. So I am confuse between two different opinions.

First opinion is practical based on 10 year ILR guidance (rules is 180days in single trip and in total 540days), but I was out for 368 days and total 565 days.
Second opinion is just hope without any logic/rules “that case worker may consider the gap because I was doing study and I extend visa before I left UK and on same visa I return UK”

Dont know what to do?

vijayj

Post by vijayj » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:45 pm

vijayj wrote:
Not me again wrote:If you have a letter from University than its somehow like business related absence, as long as you have not violated the terms of residency i-e left the country for more 180 days without any compassionate circumstance, In my opinion you are good to go, just need to add covering letter and its always best to consult a lawyer
Thanks Not me again,

I Consult couple of lawyers and some are saying you cannot apply because of gap and some say you may be considered for study gap. So I am confuse between two different opinions.

First opinion is practical based on 10 year ILR guidance (rules is 180days in single trip and in total 540days), but I was out for 368 days and total 565 days.
Second opinion is just hope without any logic/rules “that case worker may consider the gap because I was doing study and I extend visa before I left UK and on same visa I return UK”

Dont know what to do?

As per following paragraph of long ILR Guidance it seems discretion can be consider.

If the applicant has been absent from the UK for more than 6 months in one period and more than 18 months in total, the application should normally be refused. However, it may be appropriate to exercise discretion over excess absences in compelling or compassionate circumstances, for example where the applicant was prevented from returning to the UK through unavoidable circumstances.
This must be decided at senior executive officer (SEO) level with a grant of leave outside the Immigration Rules being the appropriate outcome.
Things to consider when assessing if the absence(s) was compelling or compassionate are;
• for all cases - you must consider whether the individual returned to the UK within a reasonable time once they were able to do so
• for the single absence of over 180 days:
o you must consider how much of the absence was due to compelling circumstances and whether the applicant returned to the UK as soon as they were able to do so
o you must also consider the reasons for the absence
• for overall absences of 540 days in the 10 year period:
o you must consider whether the long absence (or absences) that pushed the applicant over the limit happened towards the start or end of the ten year residence period, and how soon they will be able to meet that requirement
o if the absences were towards the start of that period, the person may be able to meet the requirements in the near future, and so could be expected to apply when they meet the requirements
o however, if the absences were recent, the person will not qualify for a long time, and so you must consider whether there are particularly compelling circumstances

All of these factors must be considered together when determining whether it is reasonable to exercise discretion.

What do you think all?

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:25 pm

So you were out for over a year continuously? No chance!!

vijayj

Post by vijayj » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:09 pm

physicskate wrote:So you were out for over a year continuously? No chance!!
Thanks physickate for your reply, Could you pleasae elaborate "No chance!!"?

I hope i come under "appropriate to exercise discretion over excess absences in compelling or compassionate circumstances, for example where the applicant was prevented from returning to the UK through unavoidable circumstances."

What do you think study gap could be count as discretion?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:21 am

How were you prevented from returning to the UK within six months?
Why was it unavoidable?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vijayj

Post by vijayj » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:28 am

vinny wrote:How were you prevented from returning to the UK within six months?

Why was it unavoidable?
When i came to do my second semester in UK i like to stay in UK but as part of my joint programme i have to go to Europe for 3rd and 4th semester to complete my study.

Due to such joint degree programme i was prevented to come back.

I can not avoid this situation because the programme structure is rigid.

How ever my University given me letter for visa extension in UK saying i finished first semester in Europe and second semester in UK and i will continue 3rd and 4th in UK, so i extended my visa. But in reality i have to go to Europe for 3rd and 4th semester.

So i come back to UK for graduation ceremony and I got joint degree certificate between five different universities. Based on that got IGS and till now I am in different visas.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:55 pm

But it was your choice to undertake a programme that would take you out of the UK. Similar scenarios have been refused. Also, could you not have returned to the UK between semesters so that your gap would not exceed 6 months.

You should extend your stay so that your 10 years does not include this period of time...

vijayj

Post by vijayj » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:49 pm

physicskate wrote:But it was your choice to undertake a programme that would take you out of the UK. Similar scenarios have been refused. Also, could you not have returned to the UK between semesters so that your gap would not exceed 6 months.

You should extend your stay so that your 10 years does not include this period of time...
Thanks physicskate.

That programme introduce me UK. I do not have choice or any other legal reason to stay in UK.
No my gap was continuous 368 days.
Could you please share similar scenarios.

Thanks

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:01 pm

http://www.immigrationboards.com/genera ... 0residence

http://www.immigrationboards.com/genera ... ce#p234423

I remember reading about one case where someone came to the UK as a kid at boarding school and was granted discretion about the number of absences when he was a young child, but can't find the thread right now. Perhaps you could use the search function as well. You are asking for a continuous year's absence... bit of a different situation.