We now have official confirmation from UKBA of GESE Grade 5 acceptance
(Earlier the acceptance confirmation was from test provider (Trinity and English Exam Centre) only
From: "Knowledge Of Life Policy Queries" <KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk>
Date: Nov 14, 2013 11:55 AM
Subject: RE: Settlement Knowledge of language (New rule effective 28th October 2013) query - Tier 1 General category
To: "Sudhanshu Kumar"
Dear Sir / Madam
Thank you for your enquiry regarding the revised knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement that came in to force on 28th October 2013.
Applications for settlement in the UK must be supported by evidence that the applicant:
· has passed the Life in the UK test; AND
· has an English language speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 or higher on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, or an equivalent level qualification
We will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 level or above will be required to take another one.
The following qualifications will be accepted for settlement purposes:
• Qualifications covering speaking and listening at B1 or above from the Secure English Language Test (SELT) list in the Immigration Rules, Appendix O. The SELT list is available at:
www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/ ... -tests.pdf
• Qualifications in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) at Entry level 3, Level 1 or Level 2, that include speaking and listening and that have been regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual), the Welsh Government or the Council for Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA). The qualification must be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Register of Regulated Qualifications and have been taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. The register is available at: http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/Qualification
• A National Qualification in ESOL at Scottish Qualifications Framework
GESE Grade 5 qualifications awarded by Trinity College London are listed on the Ofqual register as “TCL Entry Level Certificate in ESOL International - Speaking and Listening (Entry 3)”. These qualifications therefore fall in to the 2nd bullet point above and are therefore accepted for settlement purposes.
Applicants will also need to show that they have passed the life in the UK test to demonstrate their knowledge of life in the UK.
Mrs C Richards
Mrs C Richards
Nationality Policy Advisor | Operational Policy & Rules Unit
Immigration & Border Policy | Home Office
Home Office, The Capital, Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L3 9PP.
From: Sudhanshu Kumar
Sent: 13 November 2013 22:30
To: Knowledge Of Life Policy Queries; Settlement Ops Policy Mailbox; Nationality Policy Team - Liverpool
Subject: Re: Settlement Knowledge of language (New rule effective 28th October 2013) query - Tier 1 General category
I would like to enquire about the new KOLL requirement from 28th October 2013 which now requires ILR applicants to have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification.
My query is regarding Trinity College GESE Grade 5 (Listening & Speaking) exam. Is this exam acceptable for ILR? This is not on the SELT list - http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf
There is a GESE Grade 2 on the last page of the SELT list for which says - "GESE Grade 2 pass in speaking and listening (Spouses & Partners)", but it is not for ILR.
Trinity college on its website says GESE, Speaking & Listening exam at Grade 5 (B1) will be accepted by UKBA. Link here - http://www.trinitycollege.co.uk/site/?id=2094
Also on wiki page for CEFR, it shows GESE Grade 5&6 at B1 level. Link here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Eur ... _Languages
Could you please confirm if a pass in GESE grade 5 will be accepted for ILR applications?