ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

High Court Quash refusal of Settlement on 180 Absence basis

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Obie
Ireland

High Court Quash refusal of Settlement on 180 Absence basis

Post by Obie » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:19 pm

The High Court has quashed the Secretary of State refusal of settlement to a family on the basis of excessive absence, when the role of the primary applicant, involves regular travel, but he has a home and family in the UK.

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Adm ... /1478.html
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

ILRhopeful
Newly Registered

Re: High Court Quash refusal of Settlement on 180 Absence ba

Post by ILRhopeful » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:52 pm

65. I conclude that the Claimant is right when he says that his application for indefinite leave to remain falls to be dealt with under paragraph 135G of the Immigration Rules as it was when he entered the HSMP scheme. He correctly places reliance on the decision in the second of the HSMP Forum cases which provided that "In respect of all persons admitted to the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme as at 7 November 2006, those individuals are entitled to the benefits of the scheme (including settlement) according to the terms (including as to qualifying period) which applied on the date when they joined."

Any chance for the people with 14-year continuous stay (illegally) could apply for ILR by above judgement as the rules were changed in 2012 for 20-years?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:12 pm

Scope of the judgment may be restricted to just HSMP / Work Permit migrants or migrants in immigration categories where "absences from UK" was not a requirement to be met under the immigration rules specified at the time.

Dependants of HSMP/PBS migrants were not and are not subject to "absence from UK" requirements. Though not every case gets posted on the forum but I have not come across any case where a dependant has been refused for "excessive absence".
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:20 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Scope of the judgment may be restricted to just HSMP / Work Permit migrants or migrants in immigration categories where "absences from UK" was not a requirement to be met under the immigration rules specified at the time.
Dependants may benefit?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:06 am

vinny wrote:
sushdmehta wrote:Scope of the judgment may be restricted to just HSMP / Work Permit migrants or migrants in immigration categories where "absences from UK" was not a requirement to be met under the immigration rules specified at the time.
Dependants may benefit?
I will say dependant do benefit, or will benefits. It goes without saying, that if primary applicant benefits, then dependants will, mutatis mutandis.

However I will agree that the scenerio that ILRhopeful provided will not succeed, unless Edgehill is engaged.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

raj.0078
Newly Registered

Post by raj.0078 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:40 pm

Agree with Obie

ilruk2016
Mood:
India

Post by ilruk2016 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:55 am

Obie wrote:
vinny wrote:
Dependants may benefit?
I will say dependant do benefit, or will benefits. It goes without saying, that if primary applicant benefits, then dependants will, mutatis mutandis.

However I will agree that the scenerio that ILRhopeful provided will not succeed, unless Edgehill is engaged.

Hi Obie,

Dont you think that my case ( below link) may benefit with the scenario you have explained above ? Your suggestion will be a great help.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... l#p1265252

psc_ilr1003

Post by psc_ilr1003 » Mon May 30, 2016 2:26 pm

waht are the next steps

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon May 30, 2016 2:30 pm

psc_ilr1003 wrote:waht are the next steps
Any further attempts at posting pointless remarks in threads in order to bump your PM count will result in posts being deleted and your account suspended.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.