ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR after 6 Year Discretionary Leave.

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Hypedatkb
Newly Registered

ILR after 6 Year Discretionary Leave.

Post by Hypedatkb » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi all,

I'm in a bit similar situation. I have DLR as well:
First LLR (Limited Leave to Remain)- 20/09/2011 to 20/09/2014
Second LLR- 03/12/2014 to 01/12/2017

Now, from information I gathered on this forum and also speaking to the home office help line, 6 years DLR
starts from the first date of the first LLR (i.e 20/09/2011) for the purpose ILR application, hence as a result of this, I will complete 6 years DLR on 20/09/2017.

However, as a precaution and also knowing fully well that each case might be treated differently due to its uniqueness,(including the huge costs involved) I decided to email home office to see if I can get a written clarification but all I got was that I should refer to the guidance notes.

Please, can anyone shed more light on this issue in terms of when I can apply and any information to back it up if possible?

Apologies for my long notes, it's been a worry for some time so would appreciate any constructive contributions.

Many thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR after 6 Year Discretionary Leave.

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:52 pm

It is not clear what your question or doubt is?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Hypedatkb
Newly Registered

Post by Hypedatkb » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:10 pm

CR001 wrote:It is not clear what your question or doubt is?
Hi CR001, thanks for your response.
My question is when can I apply for ILR?

Just doubtful cos I couldn't get a written clarification from HO.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:14 pm

No sooner than 28 days before reaching 6 years residence on DLR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Hypedatkb
Newly Registered

Post by Hypedatkb » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:26 pm

CR001 wrote:No sooner than 28 days before reaching 6 years residence on DLR.
In this case you mean 6 year-residence on DLR to complete on 20/09/2017 or 1/12/2017?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:41 pm

6 years from the date of the first DLR visa granted.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Hypedatkb
Newly Registered

Post by Hypedatkb » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:52 pm

CR001 wrote:6 years from the date of the first DLR visa granted.
Thanks will keep the forum posted

fimboz

Post by fimboz » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:47 pm

I wrote to the home office requesting clarification about when to apply for indefinite leave to remain as a freedom of information request. My letter was as follows:

Please can you categorically confirm whether the time during which the Home Office takes to process an
application is considered as part of the 6 year continual period required to apply for ILR( under the
transitional arrangements) as shown in the example below:

The first 3 yrs DLR granted in March 2011 following a refusal of an asylum claim. An in-time
application to extend is submitted in February 2014. The Home Office subsequently grant an
extension in August 2015 quoting 3 yrs DLR starting from August 2015 to expire August 2018.

In the above scenario, the Home Office have taken 1yr and 6 months to conclude the case, therefore, does
this period count towards the 6 yrs and therefore ILR application can be submitted after February 2017?

Dear

Thank you for your e-mail of 28 December 2016. Your request has been handled as a request for information
under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 2000. You have requested the following information:

Please can you categorically confirm whether the time during which the Home Office takes to process an
application is considered as part of the 6 year continual period required to apply for ILR( under the
transitional arrangements) as shown in the example below:

The first 3 yrs DLR granted in March 2011 following a refusal of an asylum claim. An in-time
application to extend is submitted in February 2014. The Home Office subsequently grant an
extension in August 2015 quoting 3 yrs DLR starting from August 2015 to expire August 2018.

In the above scenario, the Home Office have taken 1yr and 6 months to conclude the case, therefore, does
this period count towards the 6 yrs and therefore ILR application can be submitted after February 2017?

HOME OFFICE RESPONSE

Further to your question, please note the published Discretionary Leave policy guidance can be found by
accessing the following link;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... /Discretio
nary_Leave_2__v7_0.pdf

Section 8 states as follows;

Any leave accrued whilst waiting for a valid application for further leave to be considered, may count towards
the required period of leave for settlement, providing the application was made in time and leave was
automatically extended in accordance with section 3C(2) of the Immigration Act 1971.

In relation to the example provided, in line with the published policy, please note the 1 yr 6 months would
count towards the 6 years providing the application was made in time and leave was automatically extended in accordance with section 3C(2) of the Immigration Act 1971. Furthermore, an individual can apply for settlement once they have accrued 6 years’ continuous leave (under the transitional arrangements) but a settlement application will only be considered up to 28 DAYS BEFORE THEIR EXISTING DL EXPIRES. JUST BECAUSE THEY MEET ONE CRITERIA DOES NOT MEAN WE ARE OBLIGED TO CONSIDER ANY SETTLEMENT APPLICATION EARLIER.