ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR application - Overdue tax

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

karthik_513

ILR application - Overdue tax

Post by karthik_513 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:08 pm

Hi All,

I am applying for ILR in May (in 2 weeks).

I have some overdue tax payment to HMRC for the year 2014-15 (last year) and I don't think i will be able to pay the overdue tax in full before my ILR application.

Will the above have any effect on my ILR application ? OR should I have to pay the outstanding payment in full before my application ?

Please advise and thanks for your time.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: ILR application - Overdue tax

Post by Wanderer » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:02 pm

I think it it will. How come it fell behind?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

karthik_513

Post by karthik_513 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:23 pm

@Wanderer thanks for your response.

I am self employed (sole trader) and had few difficulties to pay the 2014 - 15 tax (which is now overdue by 3 months).

When you say "there will be issues" - Do you mean - I will have to pay all the outstanding balance before I apply for ILR ? <OR> Even if i pay in full before my application, it will still have an impact (due to late payment) ?

Please advise .

Thanks

argus7
Wales

Post by argus7 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:55 am

This doesn't make sense at all!.
The last date to Pay tax for 2014/15 tax year was Jan 2016.

And you are behind ! HO will def look at whether tax was paid or not.You should consider paying the tax straight away!

karthik_513

Post by karthik_513 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:31 am

@Argus7 thanks for you response .

If I pay the overdue tax in full before my ilr, will there be any effect on my application due to tax late payment ??

Please let me know and thanks for you time .

screenprint

Post by screenprint » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:38 am

As long as you have declare the tax in your return it should be fine.

As paying late tax is not a crime and this matter is between you and HMRC. Home Office have nothing to do with it unless HMRC has legal judgement against you like county court judgament or enforcement action.

But try to setup a installments with HMRC if u are having difficulty in order to bring your affairs in order.

Also HMRC as very strick these days when it come to setting up installment plans , they will ask you all your current liquid financial assets ( Credit Card, Savings etc etc) and if u have means to pay the tax they will force you to pay even from you credit card.

argus7
Wales

Post by argus7 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:54 pm

What makes you think not paying the tax will not come under HO radar? Straight fwd rejection

Pay tax before application and be done with it!

screenprint

Post by screenprint » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:22 pm

He has already declare his earning to HMRC and he will pay his tax eventually.

It is just that he have not paid his tax as yet but he will pay later or through installments.

There are 1000s of thousands of people who do this every year and HMRC do accept installments.

I don't see any problem with it. Unless he is planning to do runner.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:27 pm

Telling the HO Case Worker when they check his tax liability with HMRC that "he will pay his tax eventually" is unlikely to cut it. :| Neither are HMRC under any obligation to accept a payment instalment plan. If he's unable to discharge his tax liabilities, how is he able to pay the visa fee?
i.e Paying one Government dept (HO) in preference over another (HMRC) won't go down well. :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

screenprint

Post by screenprint » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:55 pm

If Hmrc accept the instalments then there should be non issue.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:15 pm

screenprint wrote:If Hmrc accept the instalments then there should be non issue.
Very unlikely to be agreed and in place within 2 weeks. :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.