ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR max stay outside country

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ajaybabu007

ILR max stay outside country

Post by ajaybabu007 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:06 pm

Hello Everyone,

I would like to know what is maximum number of days staying outside UK (India) after getting ILR?

Please let me know.

Thanks for views and response.

Cheers,
ABP.

Casa

Re: ILR max stay outside country

Post by Casa » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:12 pm

No longer than 24 months
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ashwini_k

Post by ashwini_k » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:33 am

I have been told that the 24 month rules has changed. The new rule is that if you are staying away from UK more than you are staying inside UK, they can stop you at the border. It sounds a bit vague so please check.

Malik44

Post by Malik44 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:46 am

ILR rules says

ILR, also known as settlement, is permission to remain in the UK without any time
restrictions on the length of stay. It is not the same as naturalisation as a British citizen and
may, in specific circumstances, be ceased or invalidated. For example:
 if a fraudulent application is uncovered
 if the person resides outside of the UK for more than two years, or
 as a result of a criminal conviction that results in a Deportation Order coming into force.

read page 3 of UKBA rules
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 7.0EXT.pdf

ajaybabu007

Post by ajaybabu007 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:11 pm

Thanks Malik for inputs.

Amber; any inputs on this please...

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:16 pm

Amber isn't online at the moment and you've already two confirmations of the Rules, including a copy from the UKVI website.
How many more do you need? :?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:45 pm

Two years is the max time.

The purpose of ILR is that you intend to live, work and settle in the UK.

If you are now living abroad, making a few visits to the UK does not reset this clock either (as some people assume). Also, you can risk losing your ILR even before the two year period as and when you come to the UK, the border agency only needs looking at your length of stay in the UK and period away from the UK to figure you are no longer resident. This is assessed on a case by case basis.

If you wish to retain the indefinite stay, then the only route is to apply for Citizenship if you qualify.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:16 pm

WR1, the ILR can't be revoked unless 24 months have been spent outside of the UK.
(Casa, not CR001)