ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR SET(O) application, being physically present in the UK..

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

uckocak

ILR SET(O) application, being physically present in the UK..

Post by uckocak » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:12 pm

Hello,

My brother applying for ILR tomorrow (23 Nov 2015) after completing 5 years with Tier 1.
He first arrived to UK October 2010, however he was in Turkey at 23rd November 2010.

I read some forum topics about being physically present in the UK on the day 5 years ago. However it is not clear to me whether this rule is for Naturalisation application or ILR SET(0).

Please advise.

Casa

Re: ILR SET(O) application, being physically present in the

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:14 pm

Your brother will be pleased to know that you are confusing this with an application for BC.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

uckocak

Post by uckocak » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:18 pm

:) such a relief, thank you. £1900 is a lot of money to waste.

FaeLLe
Member of Standing

Post by FaeLLe » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:07 pm

Casa wrote:Your brother will be pleased to know that you are confusing this with an application for BC.
Can you help explain what the OP is talking about pls? Is he talking about the continuous residency period or is there some other rule?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:30 pm

If you are applying for naturalisation, there is a legal requirement (that the Home Office has no discretion over) that the applicant must physically be in the UK on the same date five (or three if applying as the spouse of a British citizen) years ago.

So, if you were to apply for citizenship today, one of the requirements is that you were physically in the UK on 24th November 2010 (or 24th November 2012 if applying as the spouse of a British citizen).

The Home Office has no discretion on this requirement and must decline the application (while keeping the fees) if this condition is not met.

This condition is applicable to naturalisation (Form AN) applications, not ILR applications.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.