ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Success at PEO Croydon 21/11/14 - contractor self employ

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

chiragsdedhia
Newly Registered

ILR Success at PEO Croydon 21/11/14 - contractor self employ

Post by chiragsdedhia » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:10 pm

Hello Friends,

I would like to express my thanks :lol: to all active members in this forum. This forum has helped me to apply for my ILR application at Croydon PEO on 21/11/2014 using Tier 1 (General) category for my self and one dependent (my wife) :roll: . I am a contractor working under my own limited company and hence there were more documents for me to produce in order to get my ILR. I have received my ILR and the Biometric card is in the post.

I visited Croydon PEO for my Tier 1 extension on 24/11/2012 at that time the Croydon office was more like a detention centre :evil: but this time the experience was really awesome. I booked an appointment for 10am as I had to travel for around 14 hours :shock: from extreme north of the UK to reach Croydon office.

I live in North of Scotland :D but the Glasgow PEO is not capable enough to handle application for people like me who works under limited company (Such a shame). Even if they were, I might have travelled to Croydon office to make full use of their experience staff for limited company contractors. So let’s start with providing my complete process.

As said, my appointment was for 10 am but I reach Croydon by 9am. I visited Croydon office at 9.30am with the hope that they won’t allow me to enter till 9.45am anyway. But the security people allowed us to enter the building after looking at our appointment letter :wink: . Building from outside looks same as what it was 2 years ago except new signs for Home office Immigration.

As soon as we entered the building, we were asked to go through airport like security which we cleared within 5 minutes and there were around 10 more people with us.

Once we cleared our security, we used lift to reach 3rd floor. By this time, I was able to feel the difference compared to my last visit. All staff were very polite and happy to assist us. The person operating lift explained the process quickly before directing us to a registration counter on 3rd floor. The entire 3rd floor office is looking beautiful with nice office layout.

There were 4 staff waiting to greet us at registration centre. As soon as we reached there, they asked for our application form and passports. Staff quickly scanned through couple of pages (looked like more of a formality) and entered our appointment details, passport details, etc and provided us with the token number. Croydon office starts their day with token number 100. We received token 133 at 9.40am. Staff asked us to sit in couple of chairs provided few meters away to wait for our next step.

By the time we reached those chairs, our number appeared on number of big screen with the desk number (I think 32 or so) to visit. We were literally surprised with the pace. We reached desk 32 where a lady greeted us with big smile and asked for application form. When I removed all supporting documents, by looking at number of pages she realised that we were working under limited company and warned me that my application might take longer than 90 minutes (60-90 minute is normal duration).

She was really nice lady and we were speaking on issues like London traffic, weather in Scotland, Glasgow PEO etc. She really helped me to reduce my stress at that point.

She gave me around 3 envelops to keep all my supporting documents :oops: . (Generally you will need one if you are not a contractor).

She entered some of the details from our application form, passport, scanned our photographs, and asked us to wait further down on number of chairs and wait for biometric. We took our application form and supporting documents and reached the area she suggested.

Surprise! Surprise! Surprise! Our token number was already flashing with the new desk number (42 I think) for biometric before we reached that waiting area. I remembered 2 years ago we were waiting for around 2 hours to call for biometric due to few delays and lots of people at centre.

We reached desk 42 where a person quickly checked the token number, passport and printed 2 pages for both of us to sign. He scanned those pages and took our fingerprints and photographs along with our application form and supporting documents.

He asked us to wait at the new cafeteria during which the decision will be made :? . We don't meet the case worker anymore like we did 2 years go. They now work in back office.

We reached the cafeteria which is really nice looking area and relaxing atmosphere 8) with lots of big screens to keep you updated with the process. At this point I can see my token number under Biometric approval process. Within 5 minutes it jumped to waiting for consideration (this indicates you are in waiting list for caseworker to start digging at your application). Took around 10 minutes token moved to under consideration i.e. at 10.05 am case worker started looking at my application form. Really great improvements and effort by Home Office.

We carried food from outside after suffering from almost nothing to eat last time but there are lots of options now. I also liked the separate area for people with tram (no noise in general area ;)).

I received a call on my mobile from private number at 10.45ish and thought it must be a marketing call but when I picked up, a nice lady said she is calling from home office and was asking if I have any document proof to confirm that I was working in a company 4 years ago which I started in the application form. (I believe that they will also display number of screen if you miss the call) she asked me visit counter number 44 with that document. Give the number of documents I had to produce, I decided not to give any documents to case worker to unnecessary confuse them and hence I have all backup documents with me. I would suggest all of you to do the same and give only mandatory documents. This will make things fast and simple. (List of documents I have carried and given is given below).

I visited counter 44 where she (case worker) came. I gave her number of documents like my appointment letter, P60, last 5 year tax statement which I received from HMRC and asked her to choose, she decided to take P60. She told me that everything else is fine and it won’t be too long. This gave me the certainties that I am getting my ILR. Went back to cafeteria and started packing all my luggage with the home of leaving the building soon.

At 11.00am my token number was called at counter 44 (this is the counter where they were giving results to all). I visited that counter where a lady asked me to take a seat and congrats me. She explained me the letter given to me by her and said card will reach me by post in next 7 to 10 working days. Received all documents from her and we were out of building by 11.10 am :)

Let’s talk about documents.

I have taken photocopies of all documents listed below as taking photocopies by caseworker during my Tier 1 extension 2 years ago took long time.

MANDAROTY LIST - given to case worker
1. SET (O) form
2. Photographs
3. Life in the UK certificate - for both applicants
4. English exam for dependent
5. My MSc degree certificate
6. Last 12 months salary slips
7. Last 12 months dividend vouchers
8. Letter from my accountant
9. Company registration
10. VAT registration
11. Marriage certificate
12. Personal bank statements
13. Company bank statements
14. Cohabitation
15. My NI Reference
16. Dependent NI Reference
17. My degree transcripts
18. Out of country record for me - from my company and previous companies
19 Out of country record for dependent - from her employers

Backup documents with me
1. P60s for last 5 years
2. Last 5 year tax statement from HMRC
3. Dependent salary slips
4. Dependent dividend vouchers
5. My self assessment for last 2 years
6. Dependent self assessment for last 2 years
7. Company tax assessment for last 2 years
8. UTR - Unique Tax Reference from HMRC
9. My company’s current contracts with clients
10. My IELTS exam certificate

We also carried lots of other documents we had with us. In case, case worker asks for any. You never know :( so it was worth taking all.

I hope this will probably give you some idea and help you for your application and prevent you to give extra money to agents (which I don't find useful at all).

hsr1972

Re: ILR Success at PEO Croydon 21/11/14 - contractor self em

Post by hsr1972 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:36 pm

@Congratulations for your ILR , Can i ask you why did they ask you to show P60, because I heard P60 is not mandatory for Tier 1 general and as you are saying in you application , You have explained you are working for a same company in the application where should we specify that we are working for the same company for number of years ? I wanted to keep the documents as simple which is required for Previous earnings to Score Points . Is this fine ? Kindly share ur thought to us.

-hsr_72

chiragsdedhia
Newly Registered

Post by chiragsdedhia » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi Hrs72
I believe that the case worker was interested in my P60 or any other document provided to me by my that company where i worked till 2010. I think it was because i was on Tier 2 till end of 2010 before switching to Tier 1 or it could be because i provided out of country record to them for up to 2010 from that employer.

hsr1972

Post by hsr1972 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:50 am

Hi chiragsdedhia ,

Thanks for your swift response. You mean you was intially on Tier2 and then you switched to Tier 1 in 5 years ? OK might be that is the reason she is interested i belive because for Tier 2 it is mandatory to be econimically active for all 5 years that is the reason she has requested for P60 , because i have seen lot of people in this forum who was on Tier 1 general without P60 they got ILR approved ,because the Tier 1 has got priviledge that you should not be in continuous employment throughout 5 years. I have booked my appointment next month in Croydon but i am Permanent employee for last 3 years ,I don't want to give any P60's or any un-necessary documents just keep it as simple. Kindly revert back to me.

-hsr-72

argus7
Wales

Post by argus7 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:28 am

what if the CW asks for employment history for 5 years? What are you going to provide. Its always safe to carry P60s/ Employment History HMRC letter/ Or Statement of Earnings from employer.

Keeping it simple is fine, But better to carry in case they ask.

hsr1972

Post by hsr1972 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks argus7 for your advise . Yes i will keep it as a backup , In case if the case workers asks then i will provide him P60.

@Argus : Can you tell me what exactly Statement of Earnings from Employer ,Does this mean last 12 months Employer Salary reference letter for the Previous Earnings which I will submit at the time of applying my ILR ? Correct me if i am wrong ?

-hsr_72

argus7
Wales

Post by argus7 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:41 am

Statement of Earnings is like a replacement P60, showing total earnings paid in a tax year.

You can get this letter from your company Payroll/Finance, if a P60 is missing.

e.g 6th April 2012- 5th April 2013

Thanks,

hsr1972

Post by hsr1972 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:05 am

Thanks argus7 for your advice.

-hsr_72

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:44 am

chiragsdedhia wrote:.....
Congrats. Can you share the "Letter from your accountant" with me please. I have an appointment in Croydon at the end of December 2014 and that will be really helpful.
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

chiragsdedhia
Newly Registered

Post by chiragsdedhia » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:49 pm

UK Border Agency

Lunar House

Croydon

CR9 2BY

19th November 2014

Dear Sirs,

XXX Limited – Client Name

We are writing to confirm that we act as accountants for Mr CLIENT (NI XXXX), along with his limited company XXXX Ltd (Registration Number XXXX).

This letter is also to confirm that CLIENT  is an employee and Director of XXXX {holds XX% shareholding and remaining XX% holds by his wife XXXX (NI XXXX)} and they are active in the day-to-day management of the limited company.  CLIENT XXXX earns a salary and derives dividend income from the company.

Please find below the summary breakdown confirmation of his salary and dividends, for the period XXX 2013 to XXX 2014.

INCOME TABLE SHOWING GROSS SALARY, TAX, NET SALARY, GROSS DIVIDEND, TAX CREDIT, NET DIVIDEND

After paying all necessary salary and dividends to XXX and XXX, along with required PAYE, CORP TAX and VAT contributions, XXX Limited has a Retain Profit of £XXX at the end of September 2014.

If you have any queries, please contact me on tel. XXX

Yours faithfully,

XXX (ACCA)

Accountant

For and on behalf of

XXXX Ltd

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:44 pm

desibird
Newly Registered

Post by desibird » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:02 am

@Chiragsdedhia

Hey Chirag..

Could you please help me with income part of the ILR for Contractors?
I'm paying self a £1000.00 as PAYE per month (for last 12 months) and took £34K as dividends.. Is this sufficient in case of income? or Should we have to pay £20K/annum as PAYE to obtain the points?

Please help in this regards.

Ta
Desibird

samira_uk
BANNED

Post by samira_uk » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:03 pm

Congratulations! And your post is very helpful and comprehensive.

About the P60, as the other users said (hsr1972) employment in the last 5 years is not a requirement for Tier 1 Generals. CW can ask anything but they have to stick to the rules. If an applicant (like me) was not in employment for a part of 5 years period what document could she submit? If I had P60 for the whole 5 years I would definitely submit it but I dont have anything and as hsr1972 asked there have been many cases where the applicants could get ILR without any P60.

madnan24

Post by madnan24 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:40 pm

Hello,

@Chiragsdedhia,

Congratulation mate, Your posts was very good and clear and helped a lot.

@Saima,

I believe P60 is authentic documents and they can confirm with HMRC easily.

Also, Could you please more clarify your question, Are you main applicant or dependent? How many years you were not in Employment?

I does not matter if you were not in employment, However we have to show last 12 months continuously ( in the last 15 months ) earning.

I hope it helps.

Thanks.

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:29 pm

Hello Chiragsdedhia again,

One more question, For income purpose do we have to count net dividends or gross dividends (net+tax credit)?

chiragsdedhia
Newly Registered

Post by chiragsdedhia » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:23 pm

To UKBALoveStory: I used net dividend amount as this is the amount which i can show in my bank statement.

chiragsdedhia
Newly Registered

Post by chiragsdedhia » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:26 pm

To Desibird: All it counts is how much you are getting in your account at the end of the day. Your 10K salary should be sufficient as the total amount is more important. Make sure you meet required points indicated by UKBA.

desibird
Newly Registered

Post by desibird » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:50 pm

chiragsdedhia wrote:To Desibird: All it counts is how much you are getting in your account at the end of the day. Your 10K salary should be sufficient as the total amount is more important. Make sure you meet required points indicated by UKBA.
Hey Chiragsdedhia,

Could you please be specific about
Make sure you meet required points indicated by UKBA
and
total amount is more important

I'm currently out of a contract and making zero money for last 4 months.

Please do help in this regards..

Thanks
Desibird.

chiragsdedhia
Newly Registered

Post by chiragsdedhia » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:42 am

All you need to make sure that you get enough money from the company to get enough points in the point based calculator which is required for ilr based on your age experience education, etc.