ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Knowledge and Life in the UK Changing from November 2015

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ASHA607

Knowledge and Life in the UK Changing from November 2015

Post by ASHA607 » Sat May 02, 2015 7:48 am

Hi all,
Just found the following in SET (O) guidence notes:
The Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement is changing in November 2015. From that
date you will only be able to use an English language qualification at B1 level or above
if it is on the
list of acceptable Home Office qualifications. This can be found at:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-
on-applying-for-uk-visa-approved-english-language-tests.From November other English language qualifications will no longer be ccepted for this purpose

Does it means that:
Q1. Anyone who is applying after November 2015 for ILR and paased the life in the UK test before November 2015 will have to prepare for another Life in the UK test?
Q2. Anyone who has an english degree taught in English and also deemed by UK NARIC have to prepare for B1 or avobe if applying for ILR after November 2015.

Could you please clarify these. Its so confusing. Many thanks

Go12
Member of Standing

Re: Knowledge and Life in the UK Changingfrom November 2015

Post by Go12 » Sat May 02, 2015 7:55 am

Again all this confusion.after showing a degree taught in English ,what else do they want more.
These sanctions are not put on EU people only non EU suffer...

WR1

Post by WR1 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:14 am

ASHA607 wrote:Hi all,
Just found the following in SET (O) guidence notes:
The Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement is changing in November 2015. From that
date you will only be able to use an English language qualification at B1 level or above
if it is on the
list of acceptable Home Office qualifications. This can be found at:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-
on-applying-for-uk-visa-approved-english-language-tests.From November other English language qualifications will no longer be ccepted for this purpose

Does it means that:
Q1. Anyone who is applying after November 2015 for ILR and paased the life in the UK test before November 2015 will have to prepare for another Life in the UK test?
Q2. Anyone who has an english degree taught in English and also deemed by UK NARIC have to prepare for B1 or avobe if applying for ILR after November 2015.

Could you please clarify these. Its so confusing. Many thanks
No. There is no further change at this present moment.

The Life in the UK test is not changing and no requirement to take another one (once you have it, its good for life).

You can still use other options for satisfying the English requirement such as UK NARIC conformation or being from a majority of English speaking country. The Home Office was specifically referring to their SELT list of acceptable qualifications.

On 6 April 2015, the Home office introduced a new SELT list. This meant the old one became known as the transitional list which had more qualifications. However, they can't just do away with the old list, especial if someone just had done their English test recently, so anyone who had taken the English test from the old test prior to 6 April 2015 can continue to use it until 5 November 2015.

So after 5 November 2015, you can no longer use an English qualification (if taken before 6 April 2015) from the transitional list. A English test from the current SELT list must be used.

Other ways of satisfying the requirement is still acceptable such as degree taught and researched in English confirmed by UK NARIC.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

ASHA607

Post by ASHA607 » Sat May 02, 2015 9:46 am

hi WR1,

Its so clear now from your reply. Also one more thing to ask you. One of my friend yesterday told me that his solicitor told that for PBS dependent applying for ILR on 5 year route need to show the financial requirements; where the main application is british citizen through ILR (5 year route).

Q.1. But I didn't find any financial requirements in the guidence notes for PBS dependent applying for ILR.
Q.2: Is the solicitor is right ?

lindafrancis
Newly Registered

Post by lindafrancis » Sun May 03, 2015 10:53 am

Hi Moderators,
I came to the UK on March 2012 as a dependent of a Tier 1 General Person.
My husband applied for ‘Indefinite leave to remain’ in the UK after successfull completion of 5 years on Tier 1(General) migrant and received his ILR on September 2013. I applied for my visa extension after that and received a PBS dependent Visa on November 2013.
I was eligible for ILR from last March. Now I am planning to apply for my ILR and I have booked for an appointment on the 8th of May.
While going through the form I saw a section stating :

• An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
˗ UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or
˗ the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada);
My Doubt is:
-------------
I did get a statement of comparability from NAARIC which says my Masters and Bachelors degree is comparable to the UK's Masters and Bachelors degree.
But I don't have a "UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English".

*The problem is now I don't have enough time to get a letter from my college saying that it was following an "English Medium".
Is it enough to produce my degree certificate as a proof for that (my certificate doesn't mention that medium of study was English,even though it was.)
*Or Should I reschedule my appointment and wait until I get the certificate from my college "Stating that my degree was in English medium"?

Also is it OK if I get the Medium of study certificate from the College I studied?
Or should it be from the University which issued it?

I would be really thankful if you could give me reply as soon as possible,as my appointment is on the 8th of May 2015.
Thanking you in advance,
Linda

ASHA607

Post by ASHA607 » Sun May 03, 2015 6:43 pm

Please check the link. It might help you.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 50322.html
however only senior can confirm .

sagan

Post by sagan » Thu May 26, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi guys
Does anyone have a link to the Pre April 2016 Set (o) form? The English requirement has changed significantly and I need to show that it was different on the last instance.
Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 26, 2016 7:09 pm

sagan wrote:Hi guys
Does anyone have a link to the Pre April 2016 Set (o) form? The English requirement has changed significantly and I need to show that it was different on the last instance.
Thanks
The fact that this thread is over a year old, for what purpose do you need to prove and to who, that the requirement has changed.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sagan

Post by sagan » Thu May 26, 2016 7:18 pm

I posted my application Jan 2016 and have upgraded to premium service now. The new form has different requirements aand I want to make doubly sure I do not have to obide by the new requirements (which I don't have) and my appointment is tomorrow.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:03 pm

Wasn't aware this service was now available.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu May 26, 2016 8:38 pm

sagan wrote:I posted my application Jan 2016 and have upgraded to premium service now. The new form has different requirements aand I want to make doubly sure I do not have to obide by the new requirements (which I don't have) and my appointment is tomorrow.
Be aware some rule changes are sometimes applied retrospectively.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat May 28, 2016 6:53 pm

Locking due to off topic posts adding no value to thread,
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.